Beach options from Crown Bay?

LuvTheGoodLife

:confused: Wondering which of the following local beaches would be recommended for a nice beach day in St. Thomas? Our ship (Caribbean Princess) docks at Crown Bay pier and we do not want to spend more than 30 minutes travelling by taxi from the port to the beach. We also would like to be able to find return taxi to port or Charlotte Amalie fairly easily.

What we like in a beach day are availability of chair and/or umbrella rental, nice views, nice beach for walking and swimming/playing in surf and, most important, nice beach bar to buy drinks.

Doing some research I have come up with options of:

Lindbergh Bay/Emerald Beach

Morningstar Beach near Frenchman Reef

Secret Harbor Beach

Any recommendations from anyone?

Thanks!

Of the three I would definitely choose Secret Harbour although I can't speak for Morningstar since I haven't been there. We stayed at BW Emerald Beach on our last night before flying home from a land vacation this summer and I was not impressed with the beach at all compared to all of the other beautiful beaches on STT and STJ. Sapphire Beach is also very nice, I prefer it over Secret Harbour but the restaurant is currently closed although I read on another thread that it's supposed to reopen in December. Sapphire is a longer beach (and prettier IMO) than Secret Harbour and the views at Sapphire are fantastic.

I believe the Sapphire Beach bar and restaurant will still be closed when we are in St. Thomas (due to re-open in December, I think), that is why Sapphire Beach was not on my list. I am leaning toward Morningstar Beach but am unsure how far it might be from Crown Bay dock and how much a taxi might be to/from. Anyone know?

Thanks.

I just got off the CB and visited Crown Bay.

At Havensight, you have the option of catching either a unionized truck taxi or independant taxi drivers in cars and vans. It's not that way at Crown Bay.

We were witness to the gang mentality the govenrment has fostered. We did not have time to take a union truck to Red Hook and wanted to catch a dedicated cab. We watched one drop off passengers. We walked over to talk to the driver about taking us. As we did this, several of the unionized truck taxis blocked him in. He told us he's not supposed to pick people up in the Crown Bay area and would pick us up outside the gate. Once we were 5' from the gate he pulled up along side and told us to get in. Note we were still 5' inside the gate, but clearly wanted this cab.

A police officer came over, forced us to get out and gave the driver a $100 ticket. The driver not wanting us to suffer told us to go outside the gate and he'd have his cousin pick us up and take care of us.

Please, when you stop there, walk outside they gate and catch you ride. Give your money to the hard working people of St Thomas and not the gang of drivers who want to hold you hostage.

Go and you can have a great time, pass this information along.

Archived