Alaska Land Transportation '07 Train/Car

sbpdkp

Ok, I know this is a cruise board and we've used these boards extensively in the past for cruising - they are awesome! That being said, we've (family of 4 with 2 teens) decided to see Alaska booking on our own and not doing a cruise. Flights are booked for June 5th - 16th in and out of Anchorage. Want to see Denali, Talkeetna and Kenai Pennisula inc Homer and Seward.

I know next I need to book the transportation and that is giving me the biggest headache. I've researched the boards; it's clear to me the most flexibilty is with the rental car; however, we have a 17 year old railroad buff who really wants to ride the train. We've thought of taking the train to Denali/plus required overnight in Talkneeta right? and back to Anchorage and then renting a car for the KP. Another option was to rent a car a couple days up in Denali and train back. Another option was to train Anchorage to Seward (and I've read reviews this is by far the better train ride -- however it'd be too short for my son's tastes) and then pick up rental in Seward...

Is there another option I should consider? Anything that really gives us the best of both worlds? Our son will probably only be traveling with us 2 more summers before he heads off to college and I know how much the train means to him but I hate giving up the flexiblity of the car. I think once we resolve the transport - the lodging and activities booking will be a breeze! Thanks!

A one-way car rental to Denali won't work. No company from Anchorage would allow a drop near Denali - they don't have offices there.

If your son really wants the longer train ride, why don't two of you drive to Denali and two take the train one way? Then you meet up and all drive back together.

As you stated, the more scenic train ride is Anchorage to Seward but if the length of the train ride is more important than the scenic aspects of it, I would suggest this. Not that Anchorage to Denali is not scenic, but it parallels the road and you don't see anything different on the train.

If your son really wants the longer train ride, why don't two of you drive to Denali and two take the train one way? Then you meet up and all drive back together.

Unless you stop along the way, you'll be at Denali well before the train arrives if you leave Anchorage at the same time. Makes perfect sense that you get the rental car and he gets his train ride.

If that doesn't work, personally, I'd prefer the train ride Anchorage to Seward and back, and the car rental for Anchorage to Denali and back. However, you may find you'd like to take a day to drive south of Anchorage along Turnagain Arm in addition to seeing it by train. There are several points of interest and very scenic views along the highway between Anchorage and Portage Glacier, easily visited in a day.

I agree, spliting up going to Denali park is the best option. Especially with 4 people, a car is NECESSARY. Or consider an RV rental, would allow even more flexibility. I find the Anchorage/Denali Park portion of the Alaska RR the "least" scenic, OK kind of boring for me. :) As already noted, the winner is definately Anchorage/Seward. But taking that train will have backtracking or a costly Hertz Rental for you to include Homer. I suggest you take a HARD look at a routing for your days and the required number of nights needed at the locations for your priority activities. THEN fit in the train.

The train from Anchorage to Seward mostly parallels the road, also.

The suggestion for 2 people to ride the train and 2 to drive is the best one no matter which train trip your son takes, so maybe let him choose which he wants. If you haven't seen it yet, here's a link to the AKRR map. I see you're in Alaska for prime king salmon fishing. If you intend to fish, book early. Most people think K.P. for kings, but although those fish are generally larger than ones in the Mat-Valley, a higher percentage of anglers catch kings in the Mat-Valley (north of Anchorage, on the way to Denali). I'm a little confused by something you said..."required overnight in Talkeetna"...do you mean if you all took the train, or someone took it both ways? You wouldn't be overnighting in Talkeetna, but at Denali. The too aren't close. Maybe I'm totally misunderstanding....

I hope you have a great trip.

Thanks...all the research and responses pointed to getting a rental car for the entire trip which is now booked. All 3 Enterprise rental car locations in Anchorage were booked for the June period we wanted. They must have offered a great deal. The best deal I could find for 11 days was a full size with National for $625. Son and husband are going to take train to Seward and dd and I will drive and meet them there.

Clear up confusion - I thought that if you take the train from Denali you have to overnight in Talkeetna which could be wrong...if husband and son take train again it will be for the last leg of the journey from Talkeetna to Anchorage. Yes, we know it's extra $ we'd prefer not to spend but for sure at least they will do the Anch to Seward train.

I'm now working on itinerary from June 5th - 16th from Anchorage - Seward - Homer - Talkeetna - Denali - Anchorage. Once we figure that out (I just need to confirm all the family wants to do) then I'll start booking lodging. I am becoming convinced with our family of 4 that b&b's may really work for us in Alaska. Thanks - I find more informaton on these boards every day!

We know nothing about fishing but love to eat salmon...suggestions?

Clear up confusion - I thought that if you take the train from Denali you have to overnight in Talkeetna which could be wrong...if husband and son take train again it will be for the last leg of the journey from Talkeetna to Anchorage. Yes, we know it's extra $ we'd prefer not to spend but for sure at least they will do the Anch to Seward train.

I'm now working on itinerary from June 5th - 16th from Anchorage - Seward - Homer - Talkeetna - Denali - Anchorage. Once we figure that out (I just need to confirm all the family wants to do) then I'll start booking lodging. I am becoming convinced with our family of 4 that b&b's may really work for us in Alaska. Thanks - I find more informaton on these boards every day!

We know nothing about fishing but love to eat salmon...suggestions?

No, you do not overnight in Talkeetna with the train, UNLESS, you specifically book it that way. (which I recommend with the time) There is ONE train per day, Anchorage/Fairbanks taking 12 hours. If you stay in Talkeetna you would then get the next day's train heading to Denali Park. More costly with the purchase of the split tickets, but well worth breaking up the 8 hour train ride in my opinion.

I'm sure you aren't planning on doing this, but don't try to drive from Homer to Talkeetna in one day. It is a long drive (350 miles) , and you will feel rushed and be exhausted. It's not like driving on an expressway where the miles just reel off.

because I was thinking about doing that - driving from Homer to Talkeetna in one day - and now I won't. I'll break it up somewhere in between because I do believe we have the time...so thanks! I've learned a long time ago that many of these message boards have the best advice!

Archived