Tequila Recommendations

suziehmkr

We will be returning to the Mexican Riviera in January. Woo Hoo! I am looking to bring back some tequila's that might not be as easily attainable in the States. Nice smooth ones! Any suggestions? We will be in Cabo, Maz & PV. Our day is pretty full in Mazatlan, so Cabo & PV are our best bets for shopping.

Also - what about Damiana? I understand this is one of the ingredients in the TASTY Waborita that is not available here. Is this something I will be able to find easily in either Cabo or PV?

We took the tour in PV, we went through vallartaonline.com, that included a tequila factory tour and tasting. Its their own brand of tequila with alot of different flavors. They where fantastic. Of course Cabo tequila is the Best!!! It isnt any less expensive there though. And yes you can find Damiana here. I have purchased it at BevMo here in CA. We make Waboritas often! lol I havent seen it any of the times I've been to these ports the times that I've gone. Doesnt mean they dont have it though.

We took the tour in PV (I'll get back to you with the name of the company) that included a tequila factory tour and tasting. Its their own brand of tequila with alot of different flavors. They where fantastic. Of course Cabo tequila is the Best!!! It isnt any less expensive there though. And yes you can find Damiana here. I have purchased it at BevMo here in CA. We make Waboritas often! lol I havent seen it any of the times I've been to these ports the times that I've gone. Doesnt mean they dont have it though.

We will be returning to the Mexican Riviera in January. Woo Hoo! I am looking to bring back some tequila's that might not be as easily attainable in the States. Nice smooth ones! Any suggestions? We will be in Cabo, Maz & PV. Our day is pretty full in Mazatlan, so Cabo & PV are our best bets for shopping.

Where to taste - A major tequila distiller has opened a string of “factory outlet stores” in Vallarta. These are a good place to go and sample the various types of tequila. They are also the best place to sample and buy flavored tequilas. Don’t waste your time on a “tequila factory” tour unless you want to go for the entertainment value.

Where to shop - You will get the best selection and the best prices at the local food store or local liquor store. In Vallarta, we use the MEGA food store just north of the Sheraton (see map http://www.vallarta-info.com/n_downtown.html) and a liquor store about a half block south of MEGA.

What to buy - Tequila that has “100% blue agave” or “100% agave” on the label. Anything else is swill bottled for export and for sale to tourists. By law, all tequila has to be double distilled and is crystal clear when made. It is often marketed as “silver” or “blanco” on the label. Aged tequila takes on a golden color. Tequila that has been aged for less than one year is called reposado while tequila aged one year or more is called añejo.

Any clear 100% agave tequila is good in tequila based mixed drinks. Using reposado makes for a smoother drink and significantly reduces the potential for a hangover.

Who’s Tequila to buy – There are over 600 brands of tequila on the market today. I enjoy the following: Cuervo’s Tradicional Reposado and Reserva de la Familia, Sauza’s Hornitos Reposado and Herradura Silver for general use. Good sippin’ tequilas include Cuervo’s 100% agave version of its 1800; Sauza’s 100% agave version of its premium Tres Generaciones; Herradura Reposado, Don Julio Reposado.

For more information on tequila than you will ever want to know, hit this web site: http://www.ianchadwick.com/tequila/tequila_index.html

Enjoy!

Best ``sippin'' tequila we have had came from the Porfidio dystillery located a few miles from the cruise terminal in PV. I looked the dystillery up on line prior to our first cruise to the Mex. Riviera.

We took a taxi to the dystillery for about $10 one way. We received a private tour of the Porfidio business for about $5 each which included a tasting session following the tour. Porfidio is a bit pricey but well worth the expense.

Brought back a bottle of the tequila which is now encased on a shelf waiting for a special occassion --- which may very well be our 40th anniversary next year.

Great private tour, terrific tasting session and at a cost much less than the regular tours at other dystilleries.

Dianne

Based on my experience, unless you want the special flavored tequila, the prices are not really any better in Mexico that what I can buy at BevMo or Costco in California. Additionally, I personally DO NOT believe Cabo Wabo or Patron are the best, as some people do. It is mostly marketing hype, since Cabo Wabo is owned by Sammy Hagar and Patron is owned by marketing genius John Paul DeJoria of Paul Mitchell hair products fame. :rolleyes:

For the money, I prefer Herradura Añejo (very smooth) or Reposado for sipping and Herradura Silver for margaritas. I have all three in my cabinet, along with Cabo Wabo Reposado. The better brands are also less likley to give you a hangover headache. Believe it or not, one other point to remember is that tequila sold in the US actually has a higher alcohol content than tequila in Mexico (40% versus 38%). I bought tequila in Mexico twice, and the last time in June was the final time. No mas.... I'll wait until I get home. ;)

JMHO

Wow! Thanks for all of the great tips! I happen to be a fan of Cabo Wabo Reposado and buy it on a regular basis at Costco - which is the best price that I have found. But the other's that I have seen suggested are found pretty easily here... I just haven't tried them yet! GASP!! Now - I had NO idea that BevMo had Damiana, so I will be heading over the hill sometime soon. I had also experienced that the prices were not any better in Mexico - which is why I was looking more for tequilas that aren't readily available here in the States. I will check out everything everyone has suggested and see what gems we can find.

A few friends have mentioned a tequila that comes in a super tall blue bottle - but they couldn't remember the name. Any ideas on that one? It is supposed to be very smooth.

Dianne - how long did the tour take at Porfidio?

Where to taste - A major tequila distiller has opened a string of “factory outlet stores” in Vallarta. These are a good place to go and sample the various types of tequila. They are also the best place to sample and buy flavored tequilas. Don’t waste your time on a “tequila factory” tour unless you want to go for the entertainment value.

Where might we find these? Any more information on this would be great. I am not sure we have time for any sort of tour since we are zipping in the morning, but if one of these locations is easy to get to then I am all for trying! Thanks!

For more information on tequila than you will ever want to know, hit this web site: http://www.ianchadwick.com/tequila/tequila_index.html

This is an excellent site! Thanks!

Dianne - how long did the tour take at Porfidio?

The tour took less than an hour. DH & I were the only ones there. Like I said, it was a very private tour. I checked their website that showed pics of what the tour would be. Good thing since our guide was a caretaker and spoke very little English, however the tour was easy to follow as the various process had been explained in English on their website.

Porfidio is a very small dystilleryThe tour is conducted in an outside courtyard style area. The tasting room provided an array of products produced from tequilas to special rums.

If you Google Porfidio dystillery you can find out quite a bit of information to see if you would like to take the tour.

Dianne

Where might we find these? Any more information on this would be great. I am not sure we have time for any sort of tour since we are zipping in the morning, but if one of these locations is easy to get to then I am all for trying! Thanks!

This is an excellent site! Thanks!

I can't remember the exact name or locations. We'll be back in early November and I'll post that info before you leave.

We stay at the Sheraton and I know there is one store between there and the Malecon. I know there is another corner location one block south of the arches and I seem to recall they had three or four other locations in the downtown area.

I believe they represent a major distillery in Guadalajara. They had quite a few high end (expensive) tequilas and a good selection of flavored tequila. Their prices on the flavored tequilas were about half what they were charging at the various "tequila tour" distilleries.

Enjoy!

I can't remember the exact name or locations. We'll be back in early November and I'll post that info before you leave. Enjoy!

Thank you so much - you have been so helpful over the last few months as we plan our return trip to the Mexican Riviera. I really do appreciate your sharing!!! I will keep an eye out for the information on the store name.

I happen to be a fan of Cabo Wabo Reposado and buy it on a regular basis at Costco - which is the best price that I have found.

A few friends have mentioned a tequila that comes in a super tall blue bottle - but they couldn't remember the name. Any ideas on that one? It is supposed to be very smooth.

Often, BevMo has Cabo Wabo on special as cheap or cheaper than Costco.

As far as tall blue bottles, I am guessing your friends are referring to Don Fulano Reposado. It comes in a tall blue bottle, and I have read nice things about it. I had thier Añejo in Puerto Vallarta and it is the best tequila I've ever had. Another possibility is Milagro Silver. It too comes in a tall blue bottle. Be ready for sticker shock. Both will run you about $60 USD in California.

As far as tall blue bottles, I am guessing your friends are referring to Don Fulano Reposado. It comes in a tall blue bottle, and I have read nice things about it. I had thier Añejo in Puerto Vallarta and it is the best tequila I've ever had. Another possibility is Milagro Silver. It too comes in a tall blue bottle. Be ready for sticker shock. Both will run you about $60 USD in California.

Thanks Tim! I feel a field trip to BevMo coming on. It takes me about 1/2 hour to get there, but will be worth it!

I will check with my friends and see if either of those names sound familiar to them. THANKS!!!!

Thanks Tim! I feel a field trip to BevMo coming on. It takes me about 1/2 hour to get there, but will be worth it!

I will check with my friends and see if either of those names sound familiar to them. THANKS!!!!

Make sure to get a Club BevMo card when you are there. It gets you discounts and a "frequent buyer" type of club that will earn you a 5% discount off of total purchase after you spend $250.

The more expensive tequilas ($30+) will be locked in a glass cabinet next to the lower priced tequilas on the shelf. Happy hunting!

Make sure to get a Club BevMo card when you are there. It gets you discounts and a "frequent buyer" type of club that will earn you a 5% discount off of total purchase after you spend $250.

The more expensive tequilas ($30+) will be locked in a glass cabinet next to the lower priced tequilas on the shelf. Happy hunting!

Excellent! Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update.... haven't had a chance for a field trip to BevMo yet, but my local grocery store had Milagro Silver on sale.... for the same price as BevMo's normal price ($25) and it just JUMPED in my cart and screamed, "BUY ME!!" Although I prefer Cabo Wabo for sipping - this does make a fine margarita! Yum! May need another one tonite just to make sure it is still good. ;) Next on my list is the Don Fulano or perhaps Tres Generaciones! Gosh - you would think I am an alcoholic! I swear I am not! Just a fan!

Just an update.... haven't had a chance for a field trip to BevMo yet, but my local grocery store had Milagro Silver on sale.... for the same price as BevMo's normal price ($25) and it just JUMPED in my cart and screamed, "BUY ME!!" Although I prefer Cabo Wabo for sipping - this does make a fine margarita! Yum! May need another one tonite just to make sure it is still good. ;) Next on my list is the Don Fulano or perhaps Tres Generaciones! Gosh - you would think I am an alcoholic! I swear I am not! Just a fan!

I personally prefer añejo or reposado for sipping and silver/blanco for margaritas. Some people like sipping silver straight. That's why we have variety. ;) I have not tried the Milagro yet, but plan to soon. I am glad you were able to find and enjoy it.

Our favorite tequilla is Don Julio. It is very smooth and mixes well for margaritas.

If interested in tequilla tasting, your best bet would be in Puerto Vallarta. It is located in Jalisco territory, which is where the agave plant is grown. The best tequilla comes from 100% pure agave. Enjoy...

I personally prefer añejo or reposado for sipping and silver/blanco for margaritas. Some people like sipping silver straight.

I agree 100%.... I am just not a fan of sipping silver straight - but do at least taste the new ones before blending. :) I am new at this, but I am a quick learner, and the research is FUN!

Our favorite tequilla is Don Julio. It is very smooth and mixes well for margaritas.

If interested in tequilla tasting, your best bet would be in Puerto Vallarta. It is located in Jalisco territory, which is where the agave plant is grown. The best tequilla comes from 100% pure agave. Enjoy...

I need to try the Don Julio too. We definitely plan some tasting in PV in January. So many on my "to try" list!!

Archived