Lifeboats

dansu

As this is my 1st time cruising, and it does not appear that anyone else shares my titanic phobia, it's time to ask the question.

Do the lifeboats have enough room to accomodate everyone on board, as they appear small and few?

As this is my 1st time cruising, and it does not appear that anyone else shares my titanic phobia, it's time to ask the question.

Do the lifeboats have enough room to accomodate everyone on board, as they appear small and few?

the titantic spawned new regulations called SOLAS - safety of life at sea. there is plenty of space in lifeboats for everyone, including the crew. the life boats may appear small in pictures, but they're quite large in reality.

I wouldn't say there was "plenty" of room, but there is definitely a seat for every man, woman and child on the ship. IIRC, it is posted inside the lifeboats that the capacity is something like 95 people when used as a tender and 130 when used as a lifeboat. It gets crowded when tendering. I can't imagine what it would be like in an emergency.

Before the Titanic sinking, lifeboat requirements were set according to the size of the ship and were woefully out of date, even for 1912. I believe that British law required all ships over 6,000 tons to have a specified number of lifeboats. That was the largest category. The Titanic was 48,000 tons and, in fact, had more lifeboats than they were LEGALLY required to have.

After the sinking, the rules were changed to the only rational way; a seat and a life jacket for everyone onboard.

Modern lifeboats are also equipped with diesel engines, radios, GPS, and food and water.

I hope this sets your mind at ease.

Paul Noble

Remember there are different classes of life boats on all shipps

The most common are the ORANGE one seen on the sides of all cruise liners,

But there are also smaller inflatable one in Canisters placed all along the ship.

As stated before there is a seat for everybody...

Also in modern times vessels must respond to assist another vessel in distress...

John

Where does one take care of "business" on a lifeboat?

Wherever one sits, I'd imagine. Remember, though, that rescue should be very quick in the modern world. The position of the ship is always known with precision, and the sheer number of vessels in the traditional cruising grounds assure a rapid rescue.

So I researched this before our first cruise (I admit I was paranoid).

Cruise ships carry what are called lifeboat Tender's Link. They carry 100-150 people each. The ships also carry 1 or 2 Zodiacs (maritime law requires 2 powered boats, altho modern on modern cruise ships, all the lifeboats are powered), and multiple "hard canister inflatables" that look like depth charges.

Link an old article about the lifeboat capacity on the Destiny which states that the lifeboat and life raft capacity combined is equal to 125% of total passengers and crew combined which is the coast guard requirement.

Plus every cabin has 2 life jackets, and if more than 2 are staying in the cabin, the appropriate amount will be suppied. There are also large bins near the life boats that have extra life jackets in case people would not be able to make it back to their cabin. (side note, I wouldnt suggest putting your mouth on the whistle attached to the lifejacket durring muster. Who knows who has done it before you.)

Im going with 20 on the legend in Dec. For 10 it will be there first cruise. They are asking a lot of questions about the drill

the most important thing to know aout the drill is that attendance is required. they'll fill you in on the rest at the drill.

These things really are bigger than they look.... I was also pleased to see them actually checking them out on the GLORY in August. The drills are not that bad and could save a life so just do it for safety....yours and everyone else.:) Have fun!!!!

Absolutely enough room for all. They truly are larger than they appear in the photos, they seem dwarfed because the ships are so large.

Hope you have a wonderful time.

We saw something on the travel channel the other day and they were talking about a Carnival ship (Might have been the Sensation, though I am not sure) and they said that the life boats hold 150 people.

We just got off the Conquest last week. I did notice during muster drill that our assigned life boat had a capacity of 142 guests plus 8 crew for a total of 150. Assuming that every single guest at muster drill had an assigned lifeboat, the guests are fine. Here would be my concern as a member of the crew. I believe the Conquest has approximately 26 lifeboats. With 142 guests on each boat, that should take care of the guests. With only 8 crew in each lifeboat that only accounts for a little over 200 crew. Aren't there over 1,000 crew members on the ship? Where do the other 800 crew go in the case of an emergency?

:eek:

Archived