Anyone just carry-on and carry- off luggage?

I have only carried on and off my own luggage on my 3 night Monarch cruise, anything longer wouldn't be possible, at least not for me (but I have a shoe addiction:p). Any bags you carryon yourself have to fit through an x-ray machine that is the same size as the ones at the airport. If you can fit all your stuff in bags that small and handle them all on your own, then go ahead and do it.

Also, there is no self disembark option in San Juan so carrying off your own bags will not speed you up getting off the ship, like it will in other ports.

The first cruise we went on, we waited forever having our bags taken off the ship...however, when we went on our last cruise we took them off ourselves. Bottom line, it is the quickest most painless process you find disembarking. If I was packing light, I would also take the luggage on with me as I hate to have my bags handled anyway. Hope this helps! Happy cruising!

We were on the Enchantment for a 5-night cruise last month. We arrived at the terminal just as they began boarding Diamond passengers, and the RCI staff told us to go ahead & board even though we hadn't checked our bags. We were rolling 2 pretty large suitcases (bigger than airlines would allow us to carry onto a plane) and they just stuffed them through the x-ray machine and sent us onto the ship. Best embarkation ever. We took the bags with us to the Windjammer for lunch and then rolled them right into our cabin at 1:00. No need to wait and no need to worry. But I think it would make embarkation much longer if everyone started doing that, because so many suitcases would have to go through the x-ray machine....so that privilege is just for me, OK?

Count us in! We took an unexpected, last minute,7 day cruise on the Radiance last Jan. We decided we would eat in the windjammer or on our balcony and thus not take any dressup clothes. It was so nice getting off the plane, head right for a taxi and to our hotel. Once on the cruise, we had our cabin changed after unpacking. Took a whole 5 min. to repack plus disembarkment was a breeze. We're doing exactly the same thing the end of Oct. That's why cruising is so wonderful ~ something for everyone.

Count us in! We took an unexpected, last minute,7 day cruise on the Radiance last Jan. We decided we would eat in the windjammer or on our balcony and thus not take any dressup clothes. It was so nice getting off the plane with only two carryons and head right for a taxi and to our hotel. Once on the cruise, we had our cabin changed after unpacking. Took a whole 5 min. to repack plus disembarkment was a breeze. We're doing exactly the same thing the end of Oct. That's why cruising is so wonderful ~ something for everyone.

Archived