Daysail Was Just OK

MERED1TH

We (2 adults 2 kids) did a Day Sail on July 1 2004 and I must say while we had a good time it did not meet my expectations by any stretch of the imagination for a $550.00 day. The Capt mentioned early on that July has rough seas or something to that effect. We sailed for 2ish hours before arriving at Caneel Bay for a 1 hour snorkel (nothing to write home about as far as snorkeling). The wind and current was very stong. Lunch was good, drinks were good. After lunch we were taken by dingy to a another spot close by for about 20 minutes, again snorkeling just ok. Bottom line we spent at leat 4.5 hours sailing, and only went to a marginal snorkel site due to winds and currents etc. I understand that this is not the Capts fault. I just wanted to weigh in on this scenario. I was expecting alot more snorkel time at different locations. Oh well, live and learn.........

[quote name='MERED1TH']We (2 adults 2 kids) did a Day Sail on July 1 2004 and I must say while we had a good time it did not meet my expectations by any stretch of the imagination for a $550.00 day. [/QUOTE]
2 questions:

Which Boat & Captain did you sail with?

Have you ever sailed before? (Just wondering if you had anything to compare this experience with.)

Thanks![img]http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/fingers/fing39.gif[/img]

In fairness to the boat and Capt I would rather not mention the name, but its one discussed on these boards with good reviews. My goal was not to issue bad press on the concept of Day Sails just a reality check. I am not an experienced sailer. I can only compare this experience to say the excursion I did in Barbados, yes there were more people but not what I would call crowded. The snorkle locations were better we stopped at several different places as well as a beach. 4 hours in total and less than half the price. My imagination had me expecting something different, most of the info I had obtained from these boards.

I should mention that there was another couple on the boat with us. While taking only 6 people is nice it can be awkward with strangers. This couple had left thier kids at home and perhaps it was just my imagination but they did not seem thrilled to have mine around. I found the environment uncomfortable.

Bottom line I think it was a little pricey for what I got!

It's pretty easy to figure out which day sail you used, since anyone can view your previous posts, and you did post which day sail you would be using in your June 10th posting.

I do think you were trying to be fair in your review, and in citing the fact that the Capt informed you of potentially rough seas. I just think you were not expecting so much time sailing, and more time snorkeling, based on your experience on other islands. Did you check out other sites, such as [url]www.vinow.com[/url] to see their recommended day sails, or did you check any other websites for reviews or recommendations?

My burning question is: Why did you pay $550 for a party of four? I have checked many day sail rates in the area, and so far they range from $99 to $125 per person, with discounts if you pay cash. Just can't figure out this rate of $137.50 per person.....

[quote name='osuzycruz']It's pretty easy to figure out which day sail you used, since anyone can view your previous posts, and you did post which day sail you would be using in your June 10th posting.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps I should go an edit those old posts.

And Yes, I read many reviews before booking. Most reviews went something like "best excursion I've ever had" or "this was the highlight of my cruise". I just wanted to represent my version of events. BTW the Capt only mentioned July tends to have rough seas once we were on board.

[quote name='MERED1TH']Perhaps I should go an edit those old posts.
[/QUOTE]
[color=darkorchid]I don't believe the boards have the functionality to allow edits on previous posts [b]after[/b] someone else has already posted to that thread. You can normally edit a post if it is the most recent post on the thread, but as soon as someone else posts a reply on that thread, your edit fuction is removed. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong).[/color]
[color=darkorchid][/color]
[color=darkorchid]However, I believe it is always good to post both positive [b]and[/b] negative opinions on these boards, as it helps future cruisers make better informed decisions. :)[/color]

[color=darkorchid]Sorry your daysail did not meet your expectations. It can always be disappointing when our excursions aren't what we hoped for.[/color]

Archived