US dollars ok?

Tundra Girl

Will taxi drivers, stores, etc. accept US dollars in the Cayman Islands (and Jamaica, if you know?)? Thanks! :) :)

Yes to both questions.

They know that people from the cruise ship will have $$ and they have NO promblem taking US Dollars.

In Jamaica they really want our $$

Be aware, though, that in GC they will always give you change in GC money, not US dollars. So have small bills with you.

Not so. If you ask they will give you your change in US dollars. I have never had a promblem with that. But yes go with small bills to both islands.

Take lots of $1,$5,$10.. and a few $20's for the big items you might buy.

Have fun and enjoy.

What currency you will receive your change in is highly dependent upon the individual store policy. Many shops in Georgetown regularly handling a large volume of cruise ship guests will keep US currency in the till for change.

Other shops may not have any US currency in the till at the start of the day. The possibility of receiving US change increases as the day wears on and they take in US currency.

A few shops have a policy of never giving change in US, even if they do have it. Often such stores will post a notice that all change is given in $CI.

You can pay for (almost) anything in $US in the Cayman Islands, a real convenience for cruise and stayover visitors. Credit cards charges are applied in $US so there is no conversion fee applied by the card issuer.

What currency you will receive your change in is highly dependent upon the individual store policy. Many shops in Georgetown regularly handling a large volume of cruise ship guests will keep US currency in the till for change.

Other shops may not have any US currency in the till at the start of the day. The possibility of receiving US change increases as the day wears on and they take in US currency.

A few shops have a policy of never giving change in US, even if they do have it. Often such stores will post a notice that all change is given in $CI.

You can pay for (almost) anything in $US in the Cayman Islands, a real convenience for cruise and stayover visitors. Credit cards charges are applied in $US so there is no conversion fee applied by the card issuer.

I go to the Caymans to dive for a week every year.

When I go to the food stores to get my supplies they ask me if I want change in US or Cayman dollars.

I never had a promblem using US dollars

• 2 weeks later...
Cayman will not take US coins. Remember $1.00 Cayman = >75 US

Actually unless something has changed and respective CI web pages and web currency converters are out of date, in round numbers

$1 US is .80 CI

or $1.22 US to make $1 CI

or the easy to remember one...

She may look 20, but remember that's 16 CI....:D

http://www.destination.ky/gen/currency.htm

"

The CI dollar has a fixed exchange rate with the US dollar of CI $1.00 equals US $1.25 OR US $1.00 equals CI $.80

Exchange rate

There is no need for visitors to exchange their US dollars into local currency when visiting the Cayman Islands. Many traders quote their prices in both CI$ and US$ and you can pay in either currency. If you pay in US$, however, be prepared to receive your change in CI$. The US dollar is accepted throughout the islands at a rate of CI 80 cents. However, this can be confusing to visitors: for example, a US$20 note becomes CI $16. Banks do NOT give a better rate of exchange!"

Archived