Another Stingray Attack!

Story Highlights• NEW: 81-year-old stingray victim in critical condition

• Stingray flopped into man's boat and stabbed him with poisonous barb

• Scientists say this behavior extremely unusual for stingrays

• Normally docile, stingrays reflexively use their barbs for defense

LIGHTHOUSE POINT, Florida (AP) -- An 81-year-old boater was in critical condition Thursday after a stingray flopped onto his boat and stung him, leaving a foot-long barb in his chest, authorities said.

"It was a freak accident," said Lighthouse Point acting fire Chief David Donzella. "It's very odd that the thing jumped out of the water and stung him. We still can't believe it."

Fatal stingray attacks like the one that killed "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin last month are rare, marine experts say.

Rays reflexively deploy a sharp spine in their tails when frightened, but the venom coating the barb usually causes just a painful sting for humans.

James Bertakis of Lighthouse Point was on the water with his granddaughter and a friend Wednesday when the stingray flopped onto the boat and stung Bertakis. The women steered the boat to shore and called 911.

I saw this story in this morning's paper. So much for Sting Ray attacks being rare and infrequent. This Ray actually jumped out of the water and attacked the guy in the boat. Not exactly my definition of a docile creature.

I saw this story in this morning's paper. So much for Sting Ray attacks being rare and infrequent. This Ray actually jumped out of the water and attacked the guy in the boat. Not exactly my definition of a docile creature.

So now they are now common and frequent? Two words, "Risk Assessment". Most people are terrible at it because they allow there fears to override there logic (if in fact they have any). Just like the person who is won't fly but will drive 80MPH down the highway talking on the phone while writing notes.

I swam with the stingrays in Antiqua back in the beginning of September and I plan on doing it again in Grand Cayman in March. As I said when Steve Irwin died, there is a big difference between stingrays in the middle of the ocean than stingrays in an enclosed swimming area in an island that are around hundred of people every single day. I cant believe that a stingray actually jumped out of the water and onto a boat either, but I'm still not worried or scared of them and do consider them beautiful, docile creatures.

I swam with the stingrays in Antiqua back in the beginning of September and I plan on doing it again in Grand Cayman in March. As I said when Steve Irwin died, there is a big difference between stingrays in the middle of the ocean than stingrays in an enclosed swimming area in an island that are around hundred of people every single day. I cant believe that a stingray actually jumped out of the water and onto a boat either, but I'm still not worried or scared of them and do consider them beautiful, docile creatures.

I'm not saying domesticated Sting Rays at Sting Ray City are as dangerous as those swimming in the wild. All I'm saying is ANY wild animal is dangerous. Even the ones described as docile and harmless.

DH, DD and I swam with stingrays during our land vacation in St John this summer, the few we spotted were always swimming along the bottom and we were 15-20 feet above them, an amazing sight and I look forward to our next vacation in St John and seeing more rays. It's unfortunate to see people becoming fearful of them and missing out on such an incredible experience. It's sounds really bizarre that this one jumped out of the water and into the boat!! :confused:

I doubt that it jumped out of the wated and into the boat JUST to sting him. It probably jumped into the boat accidentally and then because it was scared it stung him.

Stingray stings happen more often than you think. You just don't hear about them. Now that Steve Erwin has been killed by one, you will here about them more. The media plays on your fears. Once something gains notorietylike the Steve Erwin incident, the media will push it as much as they can.

After Steve Erwin, here is L.A. on the news, they talked almost everyday about someone getting stung on the beaches here. They never spoke of it before that cause it was almost as common as getting stung by a jelly fish. But since it was the big news story, they reported on it every day.

If a celebrity got killed by a jelly fish, guess what? People getting stung by jellyfish would be on the news everyday.

I'm not saying domesticated Sting Rays at Sting Ray City are as dangerous as those swimming in the wild. All I'm saying is ANY wild animal is dangerous. Even the ones described as docile and harmless.

Maybe I am reading your post wrong, but in the Cayman Islands the Rays are NOT domesticated nor are they part of a sea exhibit. You are in the middle of the ocean and the Rays can come and go throughout the entire ocean - just as the Ray that Steve was killed by could. NOW - I will say that they are more used to humans and thousands visit the area each week - but they are just as wild as any other fish in the sea.

Maybe I am reading your post wrong, but in the Cayman Islands the Rays are NOT domesticated nor are they part of a sea exhibit. You are in the middle of the ocean and the Rays can come and go throughout the entire ocean - just as the Ray that Steve was killed by could. NOW - I will say that they are more used to humans and thousands visit the area each week - but they are just as wild as any other fish in the sea.

Then Grand Cayman must be different than the excursion in Antigua. In Antigua, there is a large area that is netted off in the middle of the sea with a floating platform attached where the boat docks. The stingrays are all within a certain area swimming around with the people and they cannot go any further than the nets. They do tend to migrate to the other side of the area where there are less people after they are fed, but no, they cannot just come and go throughout the ocean. They are considered wild, however are very tame as they put up with being held, pet, etc. I still love them and would never give up the opportunity to swim with them :)

Then Grand Cayman must be different than the excursion in Antigua. In Antigua, there is a large area that is netted off in the middle of the sea with a floating platform attached where the boat docks. The stingrays are all within a certain area swimming around with the people and they cannot go any further than the nets. They do tend to migrate to the other side of the area where there are less people after they are fed, but no, they cannot just come and go throughout the ocean. They are considered wild, however are very tame as they put up with being held, pet, etc. I still love them and would never give up the opportunity to swim with them :)

In Grand Cayman you are taken out to a sand bar in the middle of the ocean, a ways off the coast line. The Stingrays there are wild and only come to the sand bar to be fed. There is no net and no protection from the elements.

First of all, most Sting Ray tours take you right out into the ocean and they are not netted off or fenced off, you swim with the Rays and the Sharks.

Secondly, I was born and raised in Miami and Rays do jump all the time, it was a freak accident that the boat happened along just as he was jumping, just like Irwin was a freak accident. They happen all the time, we have had many sting ray"so called attacks" in Fl for as long as I remember, you just didnt hear about them all the time, the internet and the news coverage now makes it possible for every little thing to get on the news. I wouldnt dream of swimming with any wild animal but that doesnt make it dangerous, I just dont prefer to do it, I learned at a very early age in Miami to avoid sharks, barracuda and Rays so thats what I have always done.

First of all, most Sting Ray tours take you right out into the ocean and they are not netted off or fenced off, you swim with the Rays and the Sharks.

Thats what I thought to prior to arriving, so I was shocked to see the netted area in Antigua. Let me see if I can post a pic of it. In the pic, the entire length of the area was about double of what you can see.

I did actually like the fact that it was netted off so the stingrays are kind of kept within an area so you do get your moneys worth and actually get to see and swim with them quite a bit, rather than only during feeding time, so we'll see how I actually like it in Grand Cayman in March. :)

100_0924_a.jpg.96bb70410d43a359131155e3c03811f3.jpg

We so enjoyed our swim with the rays while in Grand Cayman. At first it is a little scarry seeing all the rays swimming free in the water at the sand bar. But once you get in and they are so friendly, like wet puppies. It was such a wonderful experience!

We would love to repeat the experience on our next trip.

Our boat captain told us that when the rays hear the motors from the boats they just flock to the area because they know they will get food, I wonder if they also enjoy the contact with humans also...

Bev

In Grand Caymam, the sand bar is at the edge, fairly close to land and not way out in the ocean. It is almost like at the opening to a bay. The stingrays are not fenced in though and can come and go as they please. They come to the sandbar (stingray city) because they have been conditioned to come there for food.

I have done the trip, gotten in the water and had an underwater camera in my hand. I had a couple of stingrays come up to my hand and 'nibble' on it, thinking it was food. As to defensive, there were a lot of people in the water, so unless someone did something to frighten them, they seemed pretty calm. One of hired hands on our boat, grabbed one by fins and held up for a picture.

Having said the above, I still would be careful.

Thats what I thought to prior to arriving, so I was shocked to see the netted area in Antigua. Let me see if I can post a pic of it. In the pic, the entire length of the area was about double of what you can see.

I did actually like the fact that it was netted off so the stingrays are kind of kept within an area so you do get your moneys worth and actually get to see and swim with them quite a bit, rather than only during feeding time, so we'll see how I actually like it in Grand Cayman in March. :)

Oh, I dont doubt you, its just that most of them are not. I went on one as an observer in Costa Maya and they took us right out in the open water, I have pics of the people in the water with the rays and sharks, they had a great time and loved it. I dont know how to post the pics or I would.

In Grand Caymam, the sand bar is at the edge, fairly close to land and not way out in the ocean. It is almost like at the opening to a bay. The stingrays are not fenced in though and can come and go as they please. They come to the sandbar (stingray city) because they have been conditioned to come there for food.

I have done the trip, gotten in the water and had an underwater camera in my hand. I had a couple of stingrays come up to my hand and 'nibble' on it, thinking it was food. As to defensive, there were a lot of people in the water, so unless someone did something to frighten them, they seemed pretty calm. One of hired hands on our boat, grabbed one by fins and held up for a picture.

Having said the above, I still would be careful.

I've been on the Stingray tour in Grand Cayman four or five times. We stopped doing it because we did it so many times. It was fun though. The stingrays go by you and rub you. I was swimming on the surface and they sometimes come up to try and eat me. I was afraid of the stingrays everytime I came in the water with them. They held a stingray for a picture too. I feed a stingray a couple times but I needed someone to hold my hand because I was scared. :eek: The stingrays seemed pretty harmless to me. Just don't step on them and be careful. It's okay if they rub their slimey skin against you even though it may scare you.

. I wouldnt dream of swimming with any wild animal but that doesnt make it dangerous, I just dont prefer to do it, I learned at a very early age in Miami to avoid sharks, barracuda and Rays so thats what I have always done.

From the Gulf of Mexico side of Florida, my sentiments exactly. :rolleyes:

I watched this story on the news. The barb was not a foot long. Still it had to be a frightening experience. I just wanted to point out that the media as always reports things without verifying the facts. The Dr showed the barb on tv. The man is lucky to be alive, I hope he pulls through. I have often seen rays jumping out of the water and I guess this time the boat just happened to be in the way and it landed in the boat.

We did the Cayman Island Stingray tour last November and absolutely loved it, after I got over my fear! It took me two attempts before I calmed down. It really was a wonderful experience. I hope this does not scare those that want to do this excursion.

Annieeee

Story Highlights• NEW: 81-year-old stingray victim in critical condition

• Stingray flopped into man's boat and stabbed him with poisonous barb

• Scientists say this behavior extremely unusual for stingrays

• Normally docile, stingrays reflexively use their barbs for defense

LIGHTHOUSE POINT, Florida (AP) -- An 81-year-old boater was in critical condition Thursday after a stingray flopped onto his boat and stung him, leaving a foot-long barb in his chest, authorities said.

"It was a freak accident," said Lighthouse Point acting fire Chief David Donzella. "It's very odd that the thing jumped out of the water and stung him. We still can't believe it."

Fatal stingray attacks like the one that killed "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin last month are rare, marine experts say.

Rays reflexively deploy a sharp spine in their tails when frightened, but the venom coating the barb usually causes just a painful sting for humans.

James Bertakis of Lighthouse Point was on the water with his granddaughter and a friend Wednesday when the stingray flopped onto the boat and stung Bertakis. The women steered the boat to shore and called 911.

Strange things happen. There is guy who was struck by lightning five times during the 1970's.

Archived