Suite-tipping Question

sweet sheep

If you are in a Deluxe verandah suite do you tip extra to the room steward? Also, do you tip the person who delivers your room service at any meal, at the time they deliver it?

What is the rules about that as i have never been in a suite before. Going on the Amsterdam very soon.

Thank you for your input

DH and I always tip our cabin steward extra at the end of the cruise.

Some folks bring note cards with them to use to write a small note of thanks and include any cash they wish to give to some crew member or you can obtain envelopes from the Neptune Lounge Concierge or Front Office.

We always tip the steward who delivers our room service breakfast at the time he brings it. Usually we have the same steward for our whole cruise but not always. So, we can't be sure we will see him again. By tipping at the time we receive the service, we are happy to know we have thanked him. They go so far out of their way to make our cruises special that we cannot fathom not thanking them with 'a little extra'.

Enjoy your Suite, Shirley, and have a great cruise.

If you do a Search on the word "tipping" you'll currently find 250 threads on the HAL forum alone, with a wide variety of opinions! Here's one recent one:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=427101

One amount that many people seem to agree on is $3 to $5 for room service depending on how much you've ordered and how good the service is, at the time it is delivered.

Have a ball reading!

agree generally with Sail but believe the amount depends entirely on the service you receive

if you leave your suite at 8:30 a.m., come back at 11 and nothing has been cleaned, it's time to talk with your room steward; if it continues, the tip comes way down or disappers IMO

tipping has been and should be for service .. not an obligation that has not been earned or merited

Room service is easier .. if your order arrives on time, is correct and the server is pleasant, a tip is warranted

the problem with mandatory tipping is that "good, bad or indifferent", you're charged

I am in total agreement with you, Sea King.

Thankfully, we have never experienced poor cabin service so have not been faced with 'handling it'.....Well, that's not exactly true. Several times, a few words with a steward have quickly put us 'on the same page'.

Of course we would not tip extra if our service was lacking......but I wouldn't wait until the end of the cruise (tip time) to discuss the issue. I'd try to have it resolved immediately so that we could enjoy good service throughout. Why wait and then say "No Tip because you didn't do x, y and z"? The point is wanting x, y and z done for us so we're happy to tip at the end.

We always give an extra tip. Never have had a reason not to reward for service. In addition we take t-shirts from our home state and include them with the envelope. They cannot believe that we brought something from our home. I always buy flowers for my wife and at the end of the cruise she gives them to the women at the front desk.

We always give an extra tip. Never have had a reason not to reward for service. In addition we take t-shirts from our home state and include them with the envelope. They cannot believe that we brought something from our home. I always buy flowers for my wife and at the end of the cruise she gives them to the women at the front desk.

Archived