Suite vs. Balcony

I am thinking about booking Jr. Suite on the Voyager of the Seas for Jan. 2008 sailing out of Galveston. Right now, they are going for $1,149 a person for a 7-nighter. Is this a good rate?

I noticed a Grand Suite goes for $1,549 but includes a larger room and concierge service. Is this service really worth $800 more for two people?

Is a Jr. Suite worth the extra cost over a balcony??

Thanks a bunch!

I am thinking about booking Jr. Suite on the Voyager of the Seas for Jan. 2008 sailing out of Galveston. Right now, they are going for $1,149 a person for a 7-nighter. Is this a good rate?

I noticed a Grand Suite goes for $1,549 but includes a larger room and concierge service. Is this service really worth $800 more for two people?

Is a Jr. Suite worth the extra cost over a balcony??

Thanks a bunch!

You don't state what the balcony cabin is selling for, but I think $1149 for a JS is a great price. I personally would upgrade to the GS for $800, but the GS is significantly larger than the JS.

I go for the biggest I choose to afford. For those who say, "I'm not in my room very much," I say, "I wouldn't be either if it was a small room." That being said, we do spend time in our room, and enjoy a balcony at the very least, but having sailed "Mini-suite" on Princess, we won't go backwards. We are booked in a Grand Suite next time, and for me, I am happy to pay the extra $800. We go all out on vacation because we are not able to take more that one big vacation a year. So we have plenty of time to save.

I guess it's all very personal.

We've had the Junior Suite and on our last cruise, we were upgraded to the Grand Suite. If you can afford it, I'd pick the GS. It's more spacious and in my opinion, having access to the concierge lounge is a very nice perk. You get concierge access with GS, but not with the JS. There are appetizers and complimentary drinks (make your own, so not the foo-foo types) each night between 5:30 and 8:30, DVD movies to check out, a concierge to help with reservations and shore excursions, and 24-hr coffee service. If I remember correctly, the JS was really like an oversized balcony cabin whereas the GS had bigger bathroom, separate living/sleeping area (divided by a curtain), and a much larger balcony.

Don't forget the JS catagory ( and GS) get an extra cruise credit for the sailing. The JS catagory is larger, has a nice sitting area, a walk in closet and a bathtub. I have pictures of our JS catagory cabin on Explorer if you'd like to look at them. They are at the link in my signature below.

At the very least, for a couple hundred more I'd take the JS cabin for the nicer room and extra cruise credit on my C&A account. Those extra credits have helped us get to Diamond level in only 7 cruises.

Loved the walk in closet in our js on the Explorer. :D Only you can answer if the GS is worth the extra $800. That's a lot of $$ to me. I'd rather cruise more often than blow my entire budget on a GS. I would definitely take the js over the d-1 at that price, though.

Do you get 2 cruise credits for booking a GS if it is your first RCCL cruise? Or do you have to be Gold first?

You will get 2 credits for this cruise, regardless of your status. Just make sure you sign up for the C & A program when you get home, or you may even be able to do it onboard.

Archived