Hotels - Lisbon & Barcelona?????

upgrademe

We LOVED both our hotels.

In Lisbon, we stayed at the Pestana Palace which is on the edge of the city and a garden oasis. It is close enough to all the sight-seeing spots but not right in the middle. There is also a free shuttle. We ate at the hotel one night and it was very good. It was perfect as we were exhausted and it gave us an elegant dinner steps from our room (and more importantly our bed). The other night we went to a fado club in the Alfama. I'll need to find the name. It was in a very rustic and I think a basement of an old villa or something. Lots of candles and wrought iron. The meal was great and the fado fabulous. I had a duck breat with honey and pears. It was amazing. It seemed to be 3rd on the list that the hotel recommends, so it may not be the best, but it was still excellent. I can't recall having lunch anywhere, but that is probably because there is such a good and filling breakfast buffet at the Pestana.

In Barecelona, we stayed at Hotel 1898 and it was fantastic. The room was large with very nice amenities. There is a roof-top pool, but the real prize was the one in the basement that has all spa stations. Then there is the steam room, sauna, funky showers, and well-equipped gym. All that and it is right on Las Rambalas across from the Le Meridien. We didn't eat much in Barecelona as we were pretty stuffed from a week on the ship. We had a big late lunch and then ice cream for dinner.

In Lisbon, the best restaurant in town is Gambrinas...shellfish that has salt water in it! One of our favorite "restaurants" is the food market on Las Ramblas. It is one of the greatest food markets in Europe and makes for excellent choosing of picnic food...bread, cheese, salamis, olives, etc. YUM!!

If you are there just for the night before the cruise, try the Mariott. It's not in the city center but it is resonably priced and the room was very good. The reception desk suggested we pay a few dollars more for the executive floor, which we did, and it included a light supper and all the excellent Portugese wine you could drink until about 12:30. . Also, a buffet breakfast. Just a short cab ride to the Windsurf.

Upgrademe - I agree with you about the guide books, though I still buy them so I can completely obsess about my vacation. While CC is my favorite message board, I got to say I love to the Fodor's message board too. The people are much, much more useful than the books. So if you haven't already, you should check them out too. One warning is that the Europe board tends to be very anti-cruising, so to avoid all the comments about why I should not be on a cruise in Europe, I usually leave that fact off my posts on that board. Their cruise board is relatively useless, but since I obsess on vacations I pop in there too. Best advice from the Fodor's cruise board is to visit CC! LOL

Golfergal, THANKS for the tip on the Europe board. Will definately check it out. Seems you're my neighbor to the south. If you were to look at a map of your state and mine, we live in the "jog" that encroaches on your state.

Llegislate, we are doing the Lisbon to Barcelona in April. I'm anxious to hear about your cruise though after your return.

Fair sailings to all!

Archived