2007 Cruise Selection Help Needed Please

Which Cruise Would you Choose?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which Cruise Would you Choose?

• 9 Night Mediterranean on the Brilliance
    • 15 Night Transatlantic on the Brilliance
    • 14 Night Hawaii on the Summit

I am trying to decide on another cruise for late in 2007. At this time, I have my eye on 3 very different cruises. I would like anyone who has been on the ships, to the ports, or on these specific itineraries to please give me some feedback on what you think would be the better option. I will also be posting this on the Celebrity board as one of my choices has to do with a Celebrity ship. Which would you choose and why? Thanks in advance for all of your help and your suggestions.

Here are the details (pardon my copy and paste):

9 Night Mediterranean

Ship Name: Brilliance Of The Seas

Departure Port: Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

Ports of Call: Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy; Naples, Capri, Italy; Dubrovnik, Croatia; Corfu, Greece; Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy; Villefranche (Nice), France; Provence (Toulon), France; Barcelona, Spain

15 Night Transatlantic Westbound

Ship Name: Brilliance Of The Seas

Departure Port: Barcelona, Spain

Ports of Call: Barcelona, Spain; Alicante, Spain; Gibraltar, United Kingdom; Lisbon, Portugal; Funchal (Madeira), Portugal; Tenerife, Canary Islands; St. Johns, Antigua; Miami, Florida

14 Night Hawaii Circle Cruise

on board Summit spacer.gifDestination:Hawaii. Prices starting from 1,429.00 USD on 12-Oct-2007 Cruise Ports:San Diego, California, Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii, Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii, Mount Kilauea - Evening Sail, Hilo, Hawaii, Kailua Kona, Hawaii, Ensenada, Mexico, San Diego, California

This is my first poll. Hope I do this right. LOL

This is not really a question about ships - it's a question about ports and you must make the decision yourself!

Would you rather cruise to Hawaii or Europe? If Hawaii, your question is answered.

If Europe, which destinations would YOU like to visit?

Take it from there.

I'll give you a suggestion! I voted for the Meditteranian one b/c it would be I assume, port instensive and not so much time with "cruising days".

I really thought I wanted to do a transatlantic or a cruise to Hawaii, but then I learned that the days at sea are not what I would have expected. To reach the destinations the boat has to travel quite quickly and it's useless to have a balcony or go on deck without getting blown away. I was disappointed to find this out!

I always pictured cruises as being the best of ocean and land hence my choice. I don't have any other experience, but I hope other ppl post to help you out! Happy Cruising!!

I am trying to decide on another cruise for late in 2007. At this time, I have my eye on 3 very different cruises. I would like anyone who has been on the ships, to the ports, or on these specific itineraries to please give me some feedback on what you think would be the better option.

I picked the 15-night TA because that's the one I'm on anyway. We debated also doing the 9 night Med cruise, but in the end decided we'd rather go to Barcelona a few days earlier and do some more exploring. We were on Brilliance going eastbound in April, 13 night, and loved the long sea days and beautiful weather. We did a bus tour of Madeira, so this time intend to get out and do our own thing. For Lisbon, I think we'll do one of the tours we didn't do the last time. I loved Spain, so having a chance to go to Alicante where we haven't been, as well as the stop in Gibraltar, was an attraction. Also Tenerife and Antigua.

Hawaii is gorgeous but at that time of year the waves can be quite strong. January (when we usually go) is when the big surfing competition is on. A couple of years ago the waves were so high the surfing competition was cancelled. As I said, though, Hawaii is beautiful. (We'll be there for a week again this January.)

If you decide on the 15-night TA, drop by the roll call. We already have quite a large number, and a Pink Boa Society starting up.:eek::D

Fran in Toronto

Thanks for the imput so far.

As far as which one I am leaning towards, probably the transatlantic just because it gives the extra cruise credit to reach the next C&A level. But the comment about the balcony is a little disconcerting because I really wanted to get a balcony for that particular voyage if it was the one I decided to choose. I have been to none of the areas, so I really don't have a preference there. I'm wanting a cruise that takes me to new places, simply that. All of those do this for me. Just wondered what others who had been to some of these ports thought.

I look at it as only one way flight to Europe and that keeps the costs down a little, so you get to run around Europe and then can rest up on the sea days on the way back and the time change is gradual so you avoid the jetlag.

Sue

I'll give you a suggestion! I voted for the Meditteranian one b/c it would be I assume, port instensive and not so much time with "cruising days".

I really thought I wanted to do a transatlantic or a cruise to Hawaii, but then I learned that the days at sea are not what I would have expected. To reach the destinations the boat has to travel quite quickly and it's useless to have a balcony or go on deck without getting blown away. I was disappointed to find this out!

I always pictured cruises as being the best of ocean and land hence my choice. I don't have any other experience, but I hope other ppl post to help you out! Happy Cruising!!

Where did you hear this? We had a balcony on the Atlantic TA in April, and there was one night when the wind and waves were a bit rough. I loved it. The other days we sat out on the balcony with no problem.

As for the upper deck, there was only one day in the whole 13 that I considered having a quiet word with the Captain about his use of the word "fresh" for a breeze.:eek: The ship travels at about 21 or 22 knots.....I got an incredible sunburn sitting on the aft end of deck 12 and soaking up the sun, blue sky and wonderful weather.:D:D While the ports were great, it was the sea days which actually have addicted me to cruising.

Fran in Toronto

Thanks for the imput so far.

As far as which one I am leaning towards, probably the transatlantic just because it gives the extra cruise credit to reach the next C&A level. But the comment about the balcony is a little disconcerting because I really wanted to get a balcony for that particular voyage if it was the one I decided to choose. I have been to none of the areas, so I really don't have a preference there. I'm wanting a cruise that takes me to new places, simply that. All of those do this for me. Just wondered what others who had been to some of these ports thought.

Erin, Barcelona itself is worth the whole trip. Food and wine is great, lots to see...especially Antoni Gaudi's amazing (unfinished) cathedral, Sagrada Familia. Tapas to die for and literally some of the best wine I've had anywhere.:)

Plus, we loved the balcony. We have a hump cabin on the upcoming cruise with one of the larger balconies and I can hardly wait. Don't let those comments stop you.

Fran in Toronto

Erin, Barcelona itself is worth the whole trip. Food and wine is great, lots to see...especially Antoni Gaudi's amazing (unfinished) cathedral, Sagrada Familia. Tapas to die for and literally some of the best wine I've had anywhere.:)

Plus, we loved the balcony. We have a hump cabin on the upcoming cruise with one of the larger balconies and I can hardly wait. Don't let those comments stop you.

Fran in Toronto

Yeah, I really liked that itinerary because it had both Spain and Greece in it. Two places that I'd like to see someday. That was the only one I could find with both.

I can't answer from experience as I've not done any of them. But I'd really love to do a Mediterranian cruise and that one sounds great. I'd take a few days at the beginning and end in those ports because I'd love to hang out in those cities for a while.

OK, so I'd love to do a TA, too, and from Barcelona to Miami would be my choice, too since I live in Miami and could take a cab home easily enough.

I really do hope that one day soon when our youngest is off to college that we can do both of those. I love that class of ship, too.

I'd do Hawaii although I've never had any great desire to go there. People say it's nice though. For some reason I think I'd rather fly there since I'd already have to fly part way there to start the cruise. I'd rather see Hawaii away from the cruise ports if I were going to see it at all.

But if Hawaii was my only option for a cruise - I'd go. :)

I can't answer from experience as I've not done any of them. But I'd really love to do a Mediterranian cruise and that one sounds great. I'd take a few days at the beginning and end in those ports because I'd love to hang out in those cities for a while.

OK, so I'd love to do a TA, too, and from Barcelona to Miami would be my choice, too since I live in Miami and could take a cab home easily enough.

I really do hope that one day soon when our youngest is off to college that we can do both of those. I love that class of ship, too.

I'd do Hawaii although I've never had any great desire to go there. People say it's nice though. For some reason I think I'd rather fly there since I'd already have to fly part way there to start the cruise. I'd rather see Hawaii away from the cruise ports if I were going to see it at all.

But if Hawaii was my only option for a cruise - I'd go. :)

Yeah, that's kinda my feeling about Hawaii too, but it's a place that neither one of us has been, so I added it to the list.

My vote goes for the TA for a few reasons....It's the only one I haven't done....but am booked for one in April 07 & can't wait. I wasn't a huge fan of Hawaii but I was really young so may not have apprecated it. Europe is always very port intensive & I tend to come home more tired than when I began so the 9 night Med just isn't as appealing to me but the thought of several sea days to lounge about with a book, join some shipboard activities & work on a bit of a tan sounds simply wonderful to me.

Archived