Avalon or Peter Deilmann??

Harley Woman

My husband and I want to take a european river cruise next spring. We are looking at Peter Deilmann's Amsterdam to Frankfort or Avalon Waterways' Zurich to Amsterdam. I'd like to hear from anyone who has been on these tours what your opinions are and I have some specific questions for any one:

#1. What to wear during the day? Are jeans too casual? We are "jeans" type people but would take our "best" looking ones for the cruise (?oxymoron?). I have seen the term "country club casual". Would this apply? And, what did you wear?

#2. We would prefer a non-smoking cruise. I have heard that German lines (Peter Deilmann?) have smoking almost everywhere. Is this true? Also, does this apply to the country of Germany as well (the smoking anywhere part)?

#3. Is it customary to book airline flights with the agent that books the cruise?

I appreciate your comments and advice!

Harley Woman

Harley Woman,

It´s hard to compare Avalon and Deilmann. Both are operating on different segments of the market. Avalon is something between 3+ and 4 stars, Deilmann is 5 stars. Avalon is only plying the English speaking market, Deilmann is a German cruise company also offering the cruises in the US. Avalon is including all shore tours. Deilmann does not (if there´s no special offer).

#1 I did wear jeans on our Deilmann cruise during the day. But be aware you have to dress up a bit for dinner (definitely no jeans and T-shirts, dress code for each night is provided in the daily information sheet, anyway I saw one US guy wearing jeans for dinner nearly all night but I wouldn´t suggest to do so)

#2 Deilmann does allow smoking in designated areas (like parts of the Panorama Lounge, in front of the restaurant, the bar area and all outside decks). Smoking is not allowed in the cabins, the aisles and the restaurant. It depends on the amount of US passengers on your cruise whether smoking might be an issue or not (the more US passengers the less smoking). Up to now smoking is still allowed in public areas, restaurants, bars in Germany. Politics are still working on a ban for public buildings and maybe restaurants (depending on the size) which should be effective by 2007. So far no details are known.

#3 You´re free to book your own air. Booking with the cruise line usually provides transportation between airport and boat. In case of lost luggage or any delays the cruise line is coping with that for you. Booking your own air might be cheaper but you have to cope with all the problems by yourselfs.

steamboats

Archived