Ever been refused a passport......

kylescoolmom

Has anyone ever been refused a passport for back child support and won it on apreal with proof of payments? I have a friend traveling with us that might not get a passport since the state of NJ refuses to post 19k to account. Even his X-wife acknowledges the payments.

I would hate to have to leave him behind. :( This was his idea.

I heard recently that a little girl was denied a passport because she was wearing a spaghetti-strap top, and her bare shoulders might be offensive to people in foreign countries who would see her picture as she passed through their security lines. It was on one of those TV-magazine news shows.

I'd heard about someone being denied one, but they truly owed the monies. On the US Government Passport website there's a section about this. I'd suggest your friend read this, follow the links and start contacting the appropriate agencies if he wants to join y'all on this trip.

Great to see there is one way to make it tough on deadbeat dads. Hope they can come up with others. :D Sorry to hear the innocent get caught in the net though. :(

I heard recently that a little girl was denied a passport because she was wearing a spaghetti-strap top, and her bare shoulders might be offensive to people in foreign countries who would see her picture as she passed through their security lines. It was on one of those TV-magazine news shows.

Why wouldn't the folks taking the picture advise her of this potential problem. :confused: I would think and hope the government gives out sufficient instructions to the photographers.

When I had mine taken the fellow who took it said we had to redo it because I was "smiling" too much and it could be rejected. :o Maybe I was lucky and got someone who knew what he was doing.

Why wouldn't the folks taking the picture advise her of this potential problem.
You can do your own photos, as well as the potential for having photographers who don't know the requirements....That and the fact that the requirements keep changing.....

Your "X" will be allowed to leave the country by sea until 2008/2009, he just won't be able to get back into the country. Now explain that one??? This is all so overwhelming. Everytime I call CCL I get a different story on the requirements. I hope my friend can get something in writing from CCL. However up agaist the govement I am not sure it is going to matter.

I told him, heck living in St. Thomas won't be that bad.......... :)

Thank you everyone for your help.

Well, atleast i know my X won't be leaving the country anytime soon:D

You can do your own photos, as well as the potential for having photographers who don't know the requirements....That and the fact that the requirements keep changing.....

If someone does their own photos then you have nobody to blame but themselves. :mad: I'm glad I didn't, because mine would have probably been rejected :( because I was smiling.

If someone does their own photos then you have nobody to blame but themselves. :mad: I'm glad I didn't, because mine would have probably been rejected :( because I was smiling.

I have no problem at all accepting responsibility for my own actions. That's why I do research ahead of time to make sure I do things properly. Thankfully, my passport was issued before the "no smiling" rule took effect. But my new drivers license was not:o

You can't smile in passport pictures?

I had my picture taken by the agent who accepted my application and I smiled. She didn't say anything. Of course, I haven't actually received my passport yet, either. It's only been a week.

Your "X" will be allowed to leave the country by sea until 2008/2009, he just won't be able to get back into the country. Now explain that one??? This is all so overwhelming. Everytime I call CCL I get a different story on the requirements.

The United States will require a valid passport to enter the United States from another country. They don't care if you leave or not or what other countries requirements.

My hubby was denied his passport because he is still making child support payments. Denial depends on the state and how much you owe. His case worker said it is next to impossible to fight and they do not give your application money back if you apply and are denied. My hubby is not a dead beat dad - (wearing a flame suite)

I has also told not to smile but i don't think it will prevent them from proccessing your Passport, they just want you to look as natural as possible.

I don't know how the State Dept is handling/regulating "smiling", but in North Carolina, they will no longer allow you to smile for a driver's license photo because it hinders use of computerized identification software. (smiles change your face too much) Presumably the US govt. will move in the same direction....

I was wearing a sleeveless top when I went to AAA for passport pics. They told me to come back after I'd gotten something to cover my shoulders with :rolleyes: :confused: , they were definitely not spaghetti straps. Fortunately, one of the women at an adjacent desk had a jacket I could wear for the pic.

Funny thing is, my shoulders don't even show, just the neck up, my face looks huge in comparison to my families pics.

You can also be denied a passport if you have an outstanding warrant, even if it's just a traffic citation that was never taken care of. I think we may hear of many complaints in the following years.

Archived