Star - Baltic Cruise Flight Question

ciana

HI Can anyone help? We are looking at this cruise but the best flight home from Copenhagen is at 10:30am. Would it possible to make this flight or is it too risky? Also at the end of the cruise the Star docks at Copenhagen on one day but you don't get off until the next day. Is it possible to leave the ship early..ie not stay on board the last night? Thanks for your help!

Ciana

You shouldn't have a problem making a 1030 flight as long as there is no delay in the arrival of the ship and clearing of customs. All went well with our arrival and we were off the ship by 7 am. There were plenty of cabs available as well after we collected our bags. As for disembarking a day early, shouldn't be a problem, it would probably be a good idea to check with the pursers desk. It's a great cruise, be prepared to be on the go! Be sure to visit the Baltics ports section. I learned so much before our trip last year about what to wear, what to see etc.

You want to be sure that you are off the ship early. Copenhagen airport can be a zoo, taking at least two hours to get through the lines at check in and security. There is no order to anything at the airport, which is the only negative thing I found about Copenhagen.

Ciana-

When are you thinking of taking this cruise? I'm looking at it also for June, 2007. This will be our first European cruise and I'm hesitant about booking it. Are you doing your own flights or is Princess booking them for you. I really couldn't see much difference in the prices either making my own reservations or going through Princess, unless you are using air miles. :confused:

We are looking at the July 11 cruise if I can get the airfare all worked out. We will be going to Ireland for a wedding first and then need to get from Cork to Copenhagen and then back to Toronto from Copenhagen. The big problem seems to be luggage. With the international flights 2 bags can be checked but when we switch to a low-cost European air line we can only check 1 bag... no sure how we are going to do that with a wedding than a cruise! I'm trying to make sure I have everything lined for air before we book the cruise.. it's a bit of a nightmare.

Cheers,

Ciana:)

Ciana,

You should have your travel agent get permission from the dispatch office to leave the ship a day early. It should be no problem, but for security reasons you must get the permission soon after you book the cruise. I have gotten permission to leave the ship in San Francisco when the cruise was ending in Seattle. Similar, so please get the permission so there will be no problems.

also to catch a 10:30AM flight you would have to arrive at the airport at 8:30AM, but if you take a taxi and let the purser know what you want to do a couple of days before departing the ship, it should be fine. Good Luck, FQTCruiser

HI Thanks for everyone's help! As you can see by my signature... we have booked the Star Princess Baltic Cruise! We are going to see if we can work on getting a later flight out of Copenhagen which is possible if we fly British Air rather than Air Canada. If we do fly Air Canada then your replies are very helpful in giving me ways to make the 10:30 flight.

Many thanks!

Ciana:)

We were on that cruise in July 05. Booked the air travel through Princess. They booked us on a 7:20AM flight out of Copenhagen to Paris to Orlando. We were on the bus from the ship to the airport very early. Sat around for over an hour before take off.

Most UK budget airlines will just charge you for the second suitcase.... but the price can vary massively. Have a look on the airline website to see if you can pre-book the extra luggage.

Ryanair will charge you £5 or more PER KG..... FlyBE charge £5 for the bag!

Luggage? It's how the budget airlines over here make their profits!

We were on Star last August for the Baltic cruise. Our ship docked at Copenhagen overnight. On the debarked day, we woke up very early about 5:00 am, had a breakfast, and left the ship. Our flight was at about 9:30 am. By the time we complete all the check-in procedure at the airport, we still had plenty of time left.

You should have no problem with the 10:30 am flight, unless something goes wrong with the ship.

Have a nice trip!

I am doing this Baltic cruise next Sept. and just booked my own air through British Airways, then had my agent cancel the Princess air request. This way I chose my flights and seats at time of booking.

And I am travelling from Toronto, as well. J.

HI.. I am happy with the responses you all gave! Thanks a lot! We just booked our own air from Toronto to Cork then from Copenhagen to Toronto with British Airways.. we like the idea of a section that had 38" pitch between seats and more recline space. We haven't booked our air from Cork over to Copenhagen yet.

Baggage issue!!!.. BA from Toronto to Heathrow lets us take 2 bags with a total weight of 32kgs. (70 lbs) but when we switch to Aer Lingus from Heathrow to Cork they only allow 1 bag of 20kgs (44lbs). How has anyone else coped with this? We have a wedding (our son's) then a cruise.. how can I do this with only one bag weighing 44lbs ???

Cheers,:)

Ciana

HI.. I am happy with the responses you all gave! Thanks a lot! We just booked our own air from Toronto to Cork then from Copenhagen to Toronto with British Airways.. we like the idea of a section that had 38" pitch between seats and more recline space. We haven't booked our air from Cork over to Copenhagen yet.

Baggage issue!!!.. BA from Toronto to Heathrow lets us take 2 bags with a total weight of 32kgs. (70 lbs) but when we switch to Aer Lingus from Heathrow to Cork they only allow 1 bag of 20kgs (44lbs). How has anyone else coped with this? We have a wedding (our son's) then a cruise.. how can I do this with only one bag weighing 44lbs ???

Cheers,:)

Ciana

If the flight from Toronto to Cork(via Heathrow) is on one ticket, you get the BA limit. Do they let you check the bag directly to Cork? if they do its no problem. If you individual booked this as seperate flights with seperate tickets you'll pay for the extra weight.

Archived