Pride Of America Buoy Disaster

brian t. allen

I especially like this line:

"These things happen sometimes; ships occasionally run over aids to navigation. The cruise line followed all the right procedures," said Lt. John Titchen, spokesman for the Coast Guard's 14th District in Honolulu

-Monte

I especially like this line:

"These things happen sometimes; ships occasionally run over aids to navigation. The cruise line followed all the right procedures," said Lt. John Titchen, spokesman for the Coast Guard's 14th District in Honolulu

-Monte

my two favorites are:

Crew members did not notice the accident and only discovered the chain snagged in one of its two Azipod propeller systems after the ship was safely docked in Kahului Harbor, said Robert Kritzman, NCL America executive vice president and managing director of Hawai'i operations.

Titchen said the Coast Guard plans to investigate the circumstances of the collision, including the weather conditions and personnel on the ship's bridge at the time it occurred.

my two favorites are:

Crew members did not notice the accident and only discovered the chain snagged in one of its two Azipod propeller systems after the ship was safely docked in Kahului Harbor, said Robert Kritzman, NCL America executive vice president and managing director of Hawai'i operations.

Titchen said the Coast Guard plans to investigate the circumstances of the collision, including the weather conditions and personnel on the ship's bridge at the time it occurred.

IMO-the first statement is understandable, and the second says they're gonna investigate, also understandable.

-Monte

my two favorites are:

You know its kind of amusing, there are more PAX than crew on the ship, a good number of them are undoubtedly looking overboard during sailaway, yet none of them noticed either? Somehow the bridge staff, or maintanence workers (you can't count barmen, stewards, waiters, desk workers, or any other crewmembers) aren't able to watch every inch of the surrounding seas at the same time? As stated before, the chain could have been floating underwater, just low enough not to be seen, yet high enough to get cought up in an azpod.

Not to be redundant, but since this is a new thread, I feel compelled to repeat: the Pride ships in Hawaii are not NCL ships. They are run by NCLA. Two different companies under the same parent company, not unlike Princess, HAL, Cunard, etc., all owned by Carnival. Sorry you had a bad experience on your NCLA cruise, but you shouldn't generalize your feelings to encompass all of NCL. It would be analogous to someone who disliked their Princess cruise swearing off HAL.

NCL and NCLA are NOT like Carnival Corp owning HAL, Princess, Costa, etc.

With Carnival each of the cruise lines have their own reservations, sales dept, even building and locations. Earch of the cruise lines have their own mangement

NCL and NCLA have the same building, offices, departments, etc.

NCLA was created for the U.S. flagged Pride ships. The A standing for America

For all practical purposes they are the same company with the same managment

The parent company for NCL and NCLA is Star Cruises an Asian company

NCL and NCLA are NOT like Carnival Corp owning HAL, Princess, Costa, etc.

With Carnival each of the cruise lines have their own reservations, sales dept, even building and locations. Earch of the cruise lines have their own mangement

NCL and NCLA have the same building, offices, departments, etc.

NCLA was created for the U.S. flagged Pride ships. The A standing for America

For all practical purposes they are the same company with the same managment

The parent company for NCL and NCLA is Star Cruises an Asian company

Please see the following thread for a further discussion:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=433277

I won't argue your point about corporate structure and management. But I stand by my point that the two lines should be viewed as separate lines because the NCLA ships being U.S.-flagged makes them a totally different cruising experience from the NCL ships, which are foreign-flagged.

Nita: I know - let's sue over that hideous lamb kebab! I mean they served it to me the first NIGHT of my FIRST NCL cruise and it has embittered me so much that I went on two subsequent cruises. Surely I am owed SOMETHING!
of course we will do that, it forced me, also to take 2 more NCL cruises since just to see if they were still offered!!!! LOL

I had the horrible lamb kabob on one of my 6 NCL cruises too! It was such a disappointment because I love lamb and rarely get to have it because I am the only one in my family who likes it. I was on the Spirit this past August (during hurricane Ernesto) and I don't remember seeing it on the menu.

On the Spirit cruise, we were late arriving to the first port (Port Canaveral) and no explanation was given, missed the private island due to Ernesto, and had very rough seas on the last night and did not receive any compensation. It was not the best cruise we ever took, but we still had fun. As another poster already said, you are only guaranteed the ride.

I had the horrible lamb kabob on one of my 6 NCL cruises too! It was such a disappointment because I love lamb and rarely get to have it because I am the only one in my family who likes it. I was on the Spirit this past August (during hurricane Ernesto) and I don't remember seeing it on the menu.

On the Spirit cruise, we were late arriving to the first port (Port Canaveral) and no explanation was given, missed the private island due to Ernesto, and had very rough seas on the last night and did not receive any compensation. It was not the best cruise we ever took, but we still had fun. As another poster already said, you are only guaranteed the ride.

THEY SERVE LAMB---I am not going if they eat those cute lambs....I heard they served DUCK too....

Hi guys. I'm going to close this thread because it's getting far off topic and too many people are spending their time commenting on other members and this board. So the information will still be available but closed for new posts. Thanks.

Archived