First Gem cruise from NYC now looks like 12/22/2007

shoreguy

I thought it was a temporary bug but all the Gem cruises before 12/22 have disappeared from all the booking engines for over a month. Before this happened the first cruise was Nov 3, 2007.

Anyone hear why the delay. I was hoping for another transatlantic in October. Not sure I want a North Atlantic crossing in December.:eek:

Anyone hear why the delay. I was hoping for another transatlantic in October. Not sure I want a North Atlantic crossing in December.:eek:

I think you should check with Shoreguy. He seems to have a handle on most things.:D

But seriously Shoreguy, I know there was a thread sometime back about you begin obnoxious or something, but I want to really, really thank you for all you have done for me on these boards. Mostly without knowing it. The background on my computer is one of your pictures.:D

I thought it was a temporary bug but all the Gem cruises before 12/22 have disappeared from all the booking engines for over a month. Before this happened the first cruise was Nov 3, 2007.

Shoreguy, that's so funny. I was waiting for you to tell us why they all went poof. It's difficult for me to get time off in Dec.,so I was disappointed that there seems to be nothing before then.

Donna

We'd love to book the Gem transatlantic in 2007 but getting time off in December is very difficult for the DW. It would be nice to use all these rewards points we've accumulated. It looks like the Pearl transatlantic is a no go for us this year. :(

Weird...when you do a search for the month and year, Gem has disappeared.....but if you go to Ships, Gem, Itinerary...November is still there. I wonder what's up.... I was hoping to book the Gem for November 3rd, so I am hoping its still cruising....:confused:

I see the same as all of you on the new website. Very strange. You can find the November 3rd cruise but you can't get any pricing info. on it. I am already booked on the November 3rd cruise and I have not heard anything about the date changing from my TA, but will call her today and see what I can find out.

Hi all,

Just spoke with my TA who says that the absence of the November sailings on NCL's website is a glitch that they are currently working on correcting. In the meantime, you can still book cabins on any of the scheduled Nov. 2007 Gem sailings through your TAs or directly with NCL.

My family and I are booked on the 11/10/07 sailing and I was quite startled to find it missing when I checked out the new website. I called NCL 3 times and got 2 different answers. One was that the ship was delayed (which has NOT be confirmed by anyone but that rep) and the other 2 answers were that revenue was working on the sailings and that they should reappear within a week. That was a week and a half ago. I am keeping my fingers crossed. If anyone has heard differently please let us know. Thanks

the other 2 answers were that revenue was working on the sailings and that they should reappear within a week. That was a week and a half ago. I am keeping my fingers crossed. If anyone has heard differently please let us know. Thanks

That is what I guessed when they disappeared weeks ago. I expected them back in days not weeks. The pricing on all the Gem cruises was and is a mess. Some categories a good deal some making no sense.

I also called NCL after my TA and the rep would not confirm a delay. If there is, in fact, a delay, I will have to scrap my cruise plans with NCL as I can only sail on 11/3/07. Hope this isn't the case.

Oddly enough, I checked the DCL website and they never cancelled my backup ressie for my dates despite the fact that I asked them to do it. I'm a strong believer that things happen for a reason. Maybe they know something we don't, LOL? Who knows, I may be sailing with Mickey next year after all.

That is what I guessed when they disappeared weeks ago. I expected them back in days not weeks. The pricing on all the Gem cruises was and is a mess. Some categories a good deal some making no sense.

If you recall, I question the wisdom of those booking cruises on brand new cruise ships over a year in advance (or was it 6 months in advance) months ago.

If the Gem's construction is delayed or not, I don't know. But, I fully understand why so many are worried. Before booking a cruise on a new cruise ship, I would wait until I see the painting started before I would fell at ease. Hopefully, Meyerwerft can find ways to make up for any scheduling losses in the next year some how, so the Gem is launched on time.

If you recall, I question the wisdom of those booking cruises on brand new cruise ships over a year in advance (or was it 6 months in advance) months ago.

I think I'm pretty wise. At least the diploma hanging in my office makes me feel like I am. Some people book their cruises based on when they can travel. It just so happens that my dates fall on NCL Gem's first scheduled trip out of NYC.

I also like to pay less, which is why I booked 15 months out. Maybe you should choose your words more carefully?

Now THAT would be wise!

I think I'm pretty wise. At least the diploma hanging in my office makes me feel like I am. Some people book their cruises based on when they can travel. It just so happens that my dates fall on NCL Gem's first scheduled trip out of NYC.

I also like to pay less, which is why I booked 15 months out. Maybe you should choose your words more carefully?

Now THAT would be wise!

You missed my point completely. How wise would you be if the Gem isn't ready for its first cruise? Supposed another storm hits, and like the Pride of America, there's a year delay in the Gem's delivery. Very likely you'll be sailing on a different ship, which would require NCL to cancel cruises for that other ship. But if the Gem's just one month late, do you think NCL will cancel the Gem's first few cruises, or the cruises for the ship NCL sends to New York in it's place? I vote for the first......

As I wrote before, I would wait until they start painting a brand new ship before booking it. Just my opinion, you can take it to the bank or not.

By the way, it's not uncommon for cruise ships to be delivered late for various reasons.

By the way, it's not uncommon for cruise ships to be delivered late for various reasons.
I've booked maiden voyages almost hoping for a delay. Oftentimes a cruise line will give you a future cruise credit for the inconvenience, if they have to delay the maiden voyage. I don't know how NCL handles it because the maiden voyage I did with them went off on time but other cruise lines have given incentives. I wouldn't bet everything on a maiden voyage however it can work in your favor if you're flexible in your travel plans. ;)

But if the Gem's just one month late, do you think NCL will cancel the Gem's first few cruises, or the cruises for the ship NCL sends to New York in it's place? I vote for the first......

I'm prepared for this possibility as I also have a Disney cruise booked for the same dates. So, regardless, I will be cruising somewhere on 11/3/07.

Just to make folks feel a bit more optimistic. Here is the Pearl on Feb 20 of this year. 10 months later she is making here first cruise. The Gem looks similar with 11+ months to go:)

Thanks to Globalizer for posting all the webcam shots.

49733253_Pearl2006_02_20.jpg.afeb0c1254c6146f3b48ddbbcd77a557.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It is true - I just got a call from NCL - I have had my PCC looking out for the Gem Transatlantiic.

The Gem will do the crossing to Boston leaving Spain on Dec 3 2007

It seems they are going to cruise around Europe for a while first. Those booked earlier cruises time to plan.

Press release is out

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_110906

On October 28, November 9 and 21, the ship will sail three 12-day cruises roundtrip from Barcelona calling in Malaga (Grenada), Spain; Casablanca and Agadir, Morocco; Arrecife and Las Palmas in the Canary Islands; Lisbon, Portugal; Cadiz (Sevilla), Spain, Gibraltar; and Palma, Majorca, Spain. The ship will sail a transatlantic cruise from Barcelona to Boston on December 3.

Following a series of inaugural events on the east coast, Norwegian Gem will be home ported year-round in New York featuring a seven-day Bahamas & Florida itinerary in December 2007, February, March and April 2008.In January and February 2008, she will sail a series of 10- and 11-day Exotic Southern Caribbean itineraries roundtrip from New York.

Archived