Excursions in Jamaica and Caymans

We were in Georgetown this summer on a stop from our cruise and went on a snorkeling and stingray city tour! It's the 2nd time I've been on this tour with the same group. Thats how good they are! The group is Sotos Cruises. Here's their address if you want to check them out. http://www.sotoscruises.com They'll pick you up at the pier and everything! They'll take you to two different spots, the 1st is snorkeling in some really great reefs and the 2nd is the stop to play with the sting rays. I've got some great pictures if you want to see them, just let me know!

I agree the stingray tour is fantastic!! These are friendly rays so no worry about being stung, they are like wet puppies...LOL We used Nativeway and they were very good and the rate was very reasonable..

When we were in Ocho Rios we did a tour that took us by a boat to the Dunn River Falls, we had a wonderfull sail and climbing the falls was a blast!

I would love to do either of these tours again on our next trip. You might want to check the port of call boards and check these 2 ports for more suggestions.

Bev

FunCruiser56 gave some good advise, check out the ports of call boards for

lots of thing to do in these ports. Dunns river falls is a "must see" if this is

your first time to Jamaica. ATV's are fun, or after you did all the other stuff

you can go on the Bob Marley (up to 9 mile) on a country bus.

:) I highly recommend the cockatoo catamarran in Grand Cayman. An absolutely beautiful cat with a wonderful crew. I would do it again and again. And in Ocho Rios I did the tubing... it was so refreshing and beautiful. i would do it again in a heartbeat. My husband and I were connected with a bungee and then we "volunteered" to have the cooler with the Red Stripe beer bungeed to us. It was a fun, exciting, but still relaxing day...loved it!

Check out Phil Layfayette tours in Ocho Rios. We're just back and he brought the history, beauty and magic of the island alive. After all of the negative comments on these boards about Jamaica, I have to say it was my favorite stop. The people were warm & friendly, the island just gorgeous. Dunn's River is fun but a real "tourist" site. If you book with Phil, do the White River tubing AND Dunns River Falls. He'll throw in a tour of the island including a drive through Fern Gully, singing, history lessons, opportunities to learn about the flora.

It is legal to possess marijuana there and we were in a few places where it had obviously been smoked very recently but we never saw anyone smoking it and were never approached to purchase drugs.

Have a great time!

In Ocho Ríos, no matter who you do it with, you have to do Dunns River Falls... It is amazing and fun... :)

I agree with this. And if he's available, book Peat Taylor as your tour guide. He is an independent tour guide who will get you to the falls before the cruise ship buses get there, so the lines will be short and you'll be in and out early. Then he'll take you on a tour of other areas nearby, customized depending on what you and the people in the van with you want to do. See his website for more info: http://www.peattaylor.com.

Here on Cruise Critic, you'll see in the Jamaica section of the "Ports of Call" board many good references for Peat Taylor. My wife and I took his tour 3 years ago, and it is still the best port tour we've ever had. After the falls, we went on a drive through the forest (fern gully), stopped at a kindergarten and met the kids, ate at "The Ruins" (one of the better restaurants, and very scenic), and still had time for some shopping.

Have fun!

Last year we did the river tubing while in jamaica and had a blast...it wasnt the rccl one it was thru a-z planners. They are great, they will let you arrange your excursion as it suits you, whether it shopping, a tour, river rafting, we had a bunch of us and we all got to do what we wanted. I highly recomment them.

The same friend has arranged another tour like that on GC for our upcoming cruise but I am not sure who she is using, Ill have to ask her and let you know. I just liked it because after the tubing, some of us wanted to shop, others wanted to go back to the boat and others still wanted to see stuff and it was all included in the price. We are using A-z in montego bay when we go next week again.

I've been to Grand Cayman twice -- supposed to do the stingrays the first time, but it was too windy on that side of the island so we did the Snorkel and Sub tour -- or something like that. We went down in the sub and then returned the people doing the land portion to shore. then we went back out and snorkeled from the deck of the sub. The second trip we did the stingray -- I would suggest going with some of the independent ones posted here. I went thru RCCL and it was very crowded -- I got a "flipper in my face" more than once. I did the Reff and Rays tour, though, and it was nice to explore the coral reef, then get back and relax before going to the stingray swim.

In Ocho Rios -- the falls. Then go to Margaritaville -- not too far to walk from the ship. Even if you're not a Jimmy Buffett fan -- you gotta go!

Jakie

In Georgetown, Grand Cayman, you'll find that unlike Cozumel or some other caribbean destinations, they are not really promoting their island as a "party destination."

Mostly, the fun to be had is on the snorkelling, stingray tours, etc.

However, there is a Senor Frog's in town. And if you would like to dance and get your drink on a bit among a crowd and staff that is ready to party, you should find your way over there.

We stopped by early in the afternoon, had a beer in a sparsely populated room, left, went shopping for an hour or so and when we returned, the place was packed and jumping. this was around 3 in the afternoon! the party was ON!

So anyway, if that was what you were talking about when you said you were looking for fun, exciting things to do, there you go. If not, there are lots of great excursions as several posters have detailed.

Also, if you don't want to be tied down to a schedule, shopping and catching a taxi over to the Hyatt at Seven Mile beach is really nice too.

I am 24 and my wife is 21, while we were in Jamaica we did the falls and that was tons of fun and I would highly recommend it, we were going to do stingrays with captain marvins in grand cayman but the water was too rough and so we had an extra day at sea.

What are the best? We are stopping in Ocho Rios and Georgetown. We're 23 and like to do fun, exciting sorts of things. Recommendations?

In Ocho Rios the Canopy Tour is a lot of fun mainly because if you have never done a zipline before it is totally unique. In addition the drive to the site lets you see a part of Jamaica that you probably won't see on other tours. IMO it is fun to do things in ports that you normally can not do in everyday life. A very safe and secure event.

I have to agree with those that say to do the reef, ray and rum point excursion with Nativeway. They are so professional and nice and on time. The beach at Rum Point is like nothing I have ever seen. Picture the Corona ad - that's the only way to describe it. You know how some people say - think of your happy place - well Rum point has now become my "Happy Place'.

Have not cruised to Jamaica but have been for land vacations twice..... a week each time. Whatever you do - get away from the port area...... the people are entirely different.... friendly and charming and not pushy at all..... we did Dunns River Falls and it is beautiful..... also have done trip on train into the mountains..... also river rafting.... all were nice !!!

In Grand Cayman we did Stingray City and would do again in a heartbeat - but in two weeks will be there with dd and she wants to do something else so we choose the Aquaboats (zodiac type boats that go really fast - you drive ) and will hit a couple of nice snorkle spots.... will let you all know how it goes when I get back.

Archived