insurance question - departure/return date

Bbrave

Do you think it matters if my departure/return date changes after I buy the insurance? I haven't booked the airline ticket yet and am not exactly sure about my dates.

This is the first time I use insuremytrip and it seems the rate is not very sensitive to the length of the trip. I chose several possible dates and got the same rate. So, I guess it doesn't matter?

Thanks.

Do you think it matters if my departure/return date changes after I buy the insurance? I haven't booked the airline ticket yet and am not exactly sure about my dates.

This is the first time I use insuremytrip and it seems the rate is not very sensitive to the length of the trip. I chose several possible dates and got the same rate. So, I guess it doesn't matter? Thanks.

You need to check with your particular insurance. With mine (do not know if I can say it but it begins with a T and ends with an X) I need to provide the dates because I get the comprehensive that covers pre and post cruise stays.

If you do need, then hopefully it can be updated if your dates change.

This is an interesting question because what if the cruise line makes an offer for someone to switch cruises because if is overbooked a they accept the new dates. Then could the policy be updated for the new dates or would one need to buy a new policy.

Yes, just call your insurance companies. Most of them will let you change your date (as long as it's a reasonable change) after you purchased your insurance. I had to do this on our last cruise. But, before you purchase it get with the insurance company.

The rates are mostly sensitive to the cost of the trip. Again, pick out the insurance company(s) you are most interested in and call them.

I have used Travelex and they allowed me to actually move the policy that I had purchase for a cruise on x line on a date to a cruise on y line on z date as long as the new cost was equal to or above the old one. We did that on one cruise. And, then as I mentioned we had to change dates for another cruise.

But, checking first is the way to go.

Keith

All of the major insurers will allow you to adjust your travel dates. If fact, if you cancel your planned cruise and book something else in a completely different time frame that's OK too. Just be sure that you make the change prior to the original scheduled departure date. And there usually no charge to do this although I have heard of one insurer charging a $5 fee if you want all of the confirmation information packet re-printed and re-mailed to you rather than just getting the revised confirmation emailed to you.

The only real exception is with CSA's Freestyle plans. These plans take into account the trip length when the premium is figured so if you subsequently add a day or two to the trip length there may be a couple of bucks charged for the extra days.

Just be sure that you are covered for the full length of the trip. I know of one gentleman who originally booked a two-week sailing that ended in Santiago, Chile and those are the dates he insured. Later, he decided to add about four days to the end of the ctuise to do some sightseeing but never notified the insurer of the changes (it would have cost nothing to do so). During that four-day trip extension he fell and broke his pelvis and the medical bills and the cost of flying him home came to about $40K. Unfortunately the insurance coverage had lapsed and he had to cover the bill himself although I believe he was reimbursed for much of it through his regular health plan.

Again, let me stress that you talk this through with the company that you book the insurance through to verify that they will allow you to make a change. As I said, I had no problem doing this with the company that I purchased my insurance through and I'm sure that many others do this, but sometimes there is something called Murphy's Law. (eg., you book it with the one company out there that doesn't allow you to change). So, just verify this with them.

Keith

Archived