Westin Rio De Mar

Kukiz

We will be sailing on the Crown Princess departing San Juan on March 17, 2007 and staying post cruise at the Westin Rio De Mar for a few nights.

Has anybody stayed at the Rio De Mar and have input, good or bad? Any good restaurants in that area? Is a rental car necessary or is everything within walking distance?

the westin its one of my favorites! I love it and ususally i stay there few times duing the year...the best part its a totally non smoker hotel.. but you are going to need to rent a car...no walking distance to no were..you do need a car if you want to move around..there are few restaurants outside the hotel but still you need a car..

hope you come an enjoy it!

carmen

We will be sailing on the Crown Princess departing San Juan on March 17, 2007 and staying post cruise at the Westin Rio De Mar for a few nights.

Has anybody stayed at the Rio De Mar and have input, good or bad? Any good restaurants in that area? Is a rental car necessary or is everything within walking distance?

we stayed at the westin for a week three years ago. then we booked a three day pre-cruise last year. this year we are staying for a five night pre-cruise. we love it here...it is located in the quiet, remote, "natural" area of the island. you definitely need a car to operate there, otherwise you might as well be anywhere in p.r. with a car, you can explore el yunque, luquillo beach, the local food at the kiosks near luquillo (be sure to go to kiosk #2). the westin is a nice resort with a beautiful beach and pool area. but the fact that you can drive 10 minutes off the property and see the real p.r. is what makes it special to me. oh yes, on the road to el yunque is a local coffee shop called the palmer bakery. try the egg and cheese sandwiches for breakfast with the espresso. i can't wait!! i know you will enjoy your stay.

steve

Thanks for the positive responses..We've booked three nites, Jan 20-23/06 and are really looking forward to the experience.

Will be renting a vehicle at the airport and have plans for Luquillo and Yungue Rain forest.

Will post a review on my return.

Thank you for the responses, I am looking so forward to getting away.

We did reserve a rental car and if anybody has anymore suggestions on good restaurants that will be great.

TFish: Can't wait to hear about your experience at the hotel.:) Will you be doing a cruise also?

Yes.

Staying pre-cruise, Jan 12/06 at Ambassador, San Juan.

7 day Jan 13-20/06, Crown Princess, Southern Carribbean.

3 day post cruise Westin, Reo Mar.

Will to trip report on pre and post on my return.

• 3 months later...
Thanks for the positive responses..We've booked three nites, Jan 20-23/06 and are really looking forward to the experience.

Will be renting a vehicle at the airport and have plans for Luquillo and Yungue Rain forest.

Will post a review on my return.

How was your trip? I especially would like to hear about your experience at the Westin Rio De Mar.

How are the rooms? Are their plenty restaurants around and how are the prices?

just returned from 5 glorious days at the westin as a pre-cruise.here are 5 local places we liked:

1. kiosk #2 at the row of kiosks near luquillo beach. great carafes of sangria, black bean croquettes, shrimp with bacon, grilled lobsters, veal chops.

2. verde bar and grille. on rt. 3 heading back to san juan about 15 minutes from the hotel. it is a small white building with a green sign on the left across from a gas station. they serve unbelievable ribs, pork, and bbq chicken. be sure to get some batatas, puerto rican sweet potatoes.

3. palmer bakery on the road to the rain forest. great egg sandwiches and arapas. good puerto rican coffee as well. incredibly cheap, one sandwich and an arapa is enough for 2.

4. the other kiosks near luquillo serv e mostly fried food. the empanadas with chicken are good as well as some of the other delicasies. good for a luch to nibble on back at the beach at the westin.

5. las vegas restaurant. nice place on the road to the rainforest. good caribbean delicasies. only drawback is that we never see other people there so it is a little sterile.

enjoy your stay.

steve

Archived