Aft balcony on new Noordam

Cobi

Does anyone know if the balconies are covered on the VA's aft on deck 4? I'm looking at cabin 4181 and wondering how private and sunny it might be. I heard the Noordam is different than other Vista class ships Any info would be helpful. Thanks Cobi

Does anyone know if the balconies are covered on the VA's aft on deck 4? I'm looking at cabin 4181 and wondering how private and sunny it might be. I heard the Noordam is different than other Vista class ships Any info would be helpful. Thanks Cobi

Yes, the Noordam's added cabins on decks 6, 7, 8 (and just two on 5) means that the profile is "steeper" than the other Vistas, which probably means less overhang and more privacy from upper deck viewing. I've never been in one though, so I can't say for sure.

However, since most cruises are loops, I would say that sun on the verandah would be pretty much the same anywhere: 50% on average. In the case of the aft, sunny when the ship is facing north (underway or in port), or west in the morning, or east in the afternoon, etc. :)

We had 5184 on Oosterdam, there was a high bulkhead on one side of the veranda, partition wall on the other and about a 2 foot overhang by the doors. Depending on where the sun was there was usually a bit of shade out there in the back corner. If you want shade from the sun most of the time a side veranda may be a better choice for you.

I had upgraded our room as a surprise for my wife. The veranda was about the size of the oceanview room we had on Carnival! :eek: it had a lounger, a cushioned chair with foot rest, small table and 2 other chairs out there and there was plenty of room. However if privacy is a concern, you may want one not on the aft as those on the decks above have a good view of about 2/3 of your veranda.

It was a great room though, i'd book another without hesitation

Thanks for the replies but I heard that deck 4 on the Noordam was more covered than other Vista ships I was hoping someone had actually stayed in one and could let me know. Thanks again Cobi

Thanks for the replies but I heard that deck 4 on the Noordam was more covered than other Vista ships I was hoping someone had actually stayed in one and could let me know. Thanks again Cobi

As I said, on the Noordam there's just two added cabins on deck 5 (one port and one starboard) so the "coverage" on deck 4 is probably a little better than on the other Vistas. :)

We visited the Noordam when it came to Boston during its Inaugural. We did go into a couple of aft suites. We had had 5186 on the Westerdam and were curious about its counterpart on the Noordam. The balcony on 5191 was about 2 feet shorter than the balcony on the Noordam and the overhang was about 4 feet instead of the 2 feet on the Westerdam. The nice thing about the overhang being 4 feet is that you would have more shade and should the stacks belch any soot (which they do on occasion), it wouldn't fall on your deck chairs.

Our verandah on the Westerdam had seating for 9 people and lots and lots and lots of space. We went to a party that had 50 people and the verandah was not crowded. Of course it was a wrap around.

Your veranda would be as wide as your cabin and probably 10 or 12 feet deep. What you can do is go to the HAL website and call up the deck plans of the Noordam and the Westerdam and compare them. That will give you a pretty good idea of how deep the verandah is.

I hope someone who has been on the Noordam in a VA cabin can give you more info.

Roberta

and the overhang was about 4 feet instead of the 2 feet on the Westerdam.

Roberta

Okay, the Noordam added two cabins on each side of deck 6, and one on each side of deck 5, for a net gain of one on each side. So since Roberta says the overhang increased by 2 feet on deck 5, my "intuition" says that the overhang on deck 4 aft cabins also increased by about two feet.

Does that help any Cobi? :D

As I said, on the Noordam there's just two added cabins on deck 5 (one port and one starboard) so the "coverage" on deck 4 is probably a little better than on the other Vistas. :)

You are assuming that the aft verandahs for the upper decks are the same size as they are on the older ships - this is incorrect.* The aft verandahs are shallower than the older Vistas, and there are no overhangs facing aft.

I wish I could post a photo that I have of the stern of the ship to illustrate this, but it's too large...

Since Coby states that her DH needs to remain out of the sun, I do not recommend an aft verandah for them.

Cobi-

We were in Cabin 4181 on the Noordam just a few weeks ago for the Transatlantic Crossing.

The Cabin has an approximately 4 foot over hang from the cabin above, allowing you shade and privacy. It is at least 9 feet deep and with a request I would bet Sun, the cabin Steward would be happy to grab you a lounge chair, as the only furniture for the huge deck provided is 2 chairs, a table and a foot stool. We loved the cabin, I hope you will too!:D

P.S. The Cabin itself is much deeper than the other veranda cabins, it really affords a lot more interior space also for the same price as a regular VA.

Cobi-

We were in Cabin 4181 on the Noordam just a few weeks ago for the Transatlantic Crossing.

The Cabin has an approximately 4 foot over hang from the cabin above, allowing you shade and privacy. It is at least 9 feet deep and with a request I would bet Sun, the cabin Steward would be happy to grab you a lounge chair, as the only furniture for the huge deck provided is 2 chairs, a table and a foot stool.

Are you serious?!!? just 2 chairs and a table?!!?

On other Vista's they have loungers, dining table and 4 chairs, foot stools plus a couple of extra regular chairs.

I'm in this cabin in a few weeks, and will be most disappointed if they have only provided the same furniture as a regular balcony cabin. The purpose of paying the extra for the SC was the extra large balcony which with my group we fully intend to maximise the use of.

You are assuming that the aft verandahs for the upper decks are the same size as they are on the older ships - this is incorrect.* The aft verandahs are shallower than the older Vistas,

Actually, I was just assuming that the width of the VD cabins on the sides and the interior length of the VAs and VBs on decks 4 & 5 hadn't changed, but shallower verandahs does explain to me why there isn't a huge increase in overhang! :o

and there are no overhangs facing aft.

See post #11, right after yours!

Actually, I was just assuming that the width of the VD cabins on the sides and the interior length of the VAs and VBs on decks 4 & 5 hadn't changed, but shallower verandahs does explain to me why there isn't a huge increase in overhang! :o

See post #11, right after yours!

Mea Culpa - I looked at the pic again and you're right.

:o

We just paid to upgrade to 5186 on the noordam - a VA aft cabin on our May 20th Alaska trip. We had been in a VF with the metal railing on the port side, but we think that we'd want more balcony & no railing in the way of our view. I'm really hoping that an aft cabin will allow us to sit out & view the sights when we cruise into Glacier Bay. I worry about giving up a port side view as we go thru Glacier Bay. PLEASE tell me that I didn't make a mistake.

We are cruising for the first time in 20+ years (Windjammer & "Big Red Boat" in the 1980's). This will be our very first time on a HAL ship. I've been reading the boards for some time to get a feel for what to expect. I like what I hear about HAL and I'm already excited with "only" 7 months left to go.:p

I'm really hoping that an aft cabin will allow us to sit out & view the sights when we cruise into Glacier Bay. I worry about giving up a port side view as we go thru Glacier Bay. PLEASE tell me that I didn't make a mistake.

I've never been to Glacier Bay (hope to next Sept) but when we went to Hubbard Glacier on the Amsterdam we went straight in with the bow facing the glacier wall and sat for about 30 to 45 minutes. I think that was so that people could sit in the Crow's Nest and get a view without getting cold!

As I say, I don't know yet how they do it for Glacier Bay, but in the aft center cabin you may get a view both going in and coming out.

I just got off the Noordam yesterday, we were in cabin 4178, my mom and dad in cabin 4183...we had the 2 VB's on that floor with a suite on each end and the VA's in the middle.

So the cabin your asking about was right next to my moms...... these balconies are e-xtra long with a lounge chair and 2 sitting chairs and a couple small tables, when my mom got into hers she didn't have a lounge chair and aksed the cabin steward if he could get one and the next thing you know she had one.

These balconies are mostly covered, except for about 2 - 3 feet on the end near the railing are open and you can look back and up and see the other balconies all the way to the top on the Lido.

Hope this helps....also something you might want to know is these cabins are a little noisy from the engine in the back...not unbearable, just alittle rumbly..... not much of a problem for us ...we would still book it again.

Denise

Thanks Dennis I was looking at 4181 a VA and so far I'm hearing there is no overhang, the overhandg is 2 feet, the overhang is 4 feet,and now 5 feet plus. I'm getting confused. :confused: I'm thinking to move to the side (SY) which is another $348.00 just to be sure but really love the aft. SY is up 2 decks and mid ship which is also good but love that wake! Not sure what to do. Thank you all that have answered and tried to help me decide. PS Will let you know what we decide and how that goes. Cobi (also from NJ)

Cobi,

Follow the link below to a couple great photos of Noordam's aft - they should help you figure out if one of the aft cabins is right for you. My husband can't sit in the sun for very long, but we felt there will be enough "coverage" for him, and enough sun for me.

http://family.webshots.com/album/554582210dGrlJY

My husband and I are in VA 5184 on the Noordam, right next door to your on Dec 6th. I will let you know how it is.

Dorothyl -

My husband and I are booked in Cabin 5188 for the 6 of December on the Noordam as well, AND CANNOT WAIT!!!!!

Dorothyl -

My husband and I are booked in Cabin 5188 for the 6 of December on the Noordam as well, AND CANNOT WAIT!!!!!

Join our roll call. There is getting to be a good sized group. I can't wait either. What catagory is yours?

Join our roll call. There is getting to be a good sized group. I can't wait either. What catagory is yours?

We are category 'VA', as far as we know. We did not set this cruise up ourselves; we're part of a group onboard for the Art Auctions. We've never sailed on Holland America before. My husband and I have mainly sailed on Royal Caribbean and twice on Carnival. From the looks of things it ought to be an awesome time.

Archived