Walk into town from new Crown Bay dock?

steveg

My wife and I always preferred to walk into town from Havensite. Walking back always took no more time than driving with all the traffic on the road. Has anyone walked from Crown Bay and how does it compare with the walk from Havensite both in time, distance, and ease of walking? We're not traveling on the CB until February, but I am curious.

Although we didn't walk, we did drive into town from Crown Bay last week. We've done the Havensight walk in the past. In my opinion, the Havensight route is a much more reasonable walking route than Crown Bay. The docking area in the immediate vicinity has many trucks and it's a busy industrial area versus the more commercial Havensight area. The streets are narrow and I wouldn't say you're going through the best area of town either. We did see a few people legging it out but this walking route wouldn't be one I'd want to tackle!

Rob

We saw people walking on our way back from Magens Bay to the Crown Princess on 10/5/06. It looked rather industrial to me, the last part of the walk. It is doable, but if you can taxi it, then that would be preferable. We walked the opposite route last year when we docked at the Havensight dock area. Quite a long walk, but pleasant. This route looked not pleasant at all.

We did the walk from Havenside to town many times. We were at Crown Bay recently on the CB. I would follow the previous posters advice and not try to walk it. It is not the least bit pleasant. Very industrial. Pay the $4 cab fare.

Very heavy traffic to downtown from Crown Bay and I didn't notice if there were sidewalks all the way or not. It was very hot and humid the day we were there and if I had it to do again I would have gone with bil and his wife to Emerald Beach at Lindberg Bay. It is between the airport and Crown Bay, (less than 2 miles away). All beaches are public on St. Thomas, altho there are a couple of resorts there.

Hello

Just returned from the Crown last week. We, my DW and myself did the walk into town from Crown Bay. It was approximately 2miles, very hot and humid, the first quater mile is more industrial with no sidewalks to speak of and the route has several intersections(always watch which way the cabs are traveling and follow them), after that there are good sidewalks but it does remain more industrious until you reach the bay(which is beautiful) We are avid walkers and it took us about twentyfive minutes. I would do it again but my strong reccomendation is to talk the safari cabs for four dollars...save time and enjoy walking town and possibly to Havensight and back to town and the cabs once again.

Godspeed

We just got back from the Crown last week too. We took the cab into town and walked back to the ship. I would agree with how DragonSlayer described it. It was perfectly do-able but not as pleasant as the walk to Havensight. I guess because we aren't "avid walkers" like DragonSlayer ;) and because we were already somewhat tired from walking around town, the walk back took us about 45 minutes.

Archived