Staying on boat in Belize

BucketO'Suds

We don't blame you not wanting to get off the ship in Belize. When we were there Dec 05 on the Glory, we did not spend too much time on shore and was back on the ship quickly. We decided that if we have to go back there, we would stay on the ship.

THERE ARE PLENTY OF THINGS TO DO AS FAR AS EXCURSIONS GO. IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON GETTING RIGHT OFF OF THE SHIP AND GOING TO A BEACH OR HAVE SOME OTHER ACTIVITY RIGHT THERE YOU WILL BE SADLY MISTAKEN. I HIGHLY RECOMEND DOING THE CAVE TUBING WITH YHONY AT http://WWW.CAVE-TUBING.COM THESE GUYS ARE GREAT AND THIS WILL BE A ONCE IN A LIFE TIME OPPORTUNITY. ALSO, THEY HAVE THE BELIZIAN ZOO, OR THE CANOPY ADVENTURE. THERE ARE LOTS TO DO IN BELIZE. IT IS ALSO TRU THAT THE SPA GIVES GREAT DEALS FOR THE DAYS THAT THE SHIP IS IN PORT!!

The tenders in Belize bring you to a secure port facility with some nice touristy shops. I would suggest you tender in after the rush subsides and have a stroll around the shops. If you enjoy a good beer I highly recommend the Belikin stout. You won't find it anywhere else, it alone is worth the trip.

The ship will be more sedate than on sea days, but the breeze will be light, the deck chairs plentyful, ah............I can't wait till January! :D

Yhony's outfit comes highly recommended (DW and I agreed it was the best of all of our excursions), and this is coming from somebody not yelling and who is in Minnesota;)

The one thing I wouldn't do is go wandering around the area outside the gated tourist area at the pier. The guys from Cave-Tubing even suggested it wasn't a real good idea. Basically, if you go off the ship and out of said gated area, go with an excursion:)

If you have never been to Belize before and you are interested in doing a little something off the boat, the port there has some interesting shops, restaurants and open bars right on the pier that was kinda neat. All of this is inside the fence and as long as you are inside the fence you can go anywhere in that area safely, even if you are alone.

We can't do excursions because we have a special needs child, so after we wandered around the pier for awhile...hubby took our son back to the ship for lunch and a nap. I wanted to look around some more, so I stayed behind and felt perfectly safe. I struck up the most wonderful conversation with Gilbert (Gilly) Young. He is one of the tour operators that is licensed to be inside the fence. He has a "kiosk" (that's Belize for folding table) outside a restaurant called the Wet Lizard. He is a very nice older gentleman who truly loves his country. He said that he and the other licenses tour operators like Yhonney are working hard to put Belize on the cruising map.

Anyway, we talked for about 1/2 hour and it was very interesting. If we are ever back in Belize, we are going to take a tour with him since he can customize it to our child's needs. (like to the zoo or a city tour that isn't to long)

It was also very interesting to walk into that pharmacy and see everything ( and then some) for sale without a prescription and the prices posted. I will never forget seeing a ZPACK for $15.00. Vacitin, *****, amoxicillian...you name it they had it.

So even if it is just for a chance to experience that Belize version of "tendering" (here in the states we call it powerboat racing) I would get off the boat for a little while. I had a great time.

If you like hot sauces. Belize is one of the places to be. Great prices on sauces manufactured there, Melenda's (sp) and Maria Sharps. We did a zoo tour back in '03 and stopped at the gift shop there and I picked up about 24+ bottles of different hot sauces. Thankfully there is not a limit on how much hot sauce you can bring back:).

LHP,

If a person picks up some medicines there is there any regulations about bringing them into the States through customs? My parents used to go there back in the 70's and get pencillin with no problems but things have changed.......

When I was in Belize I took the Xunantunich excursion and it was wonderful! Belize is a very beautiful country and I can't wait until I go back. DD and I might do cave tubing next time. I sure won't be staying on the ship!:)

LHP,

If a person picks up some medicines there is there any regulations about bringing them into the States through customs? My parents used to go there back in the 70's and get pencillin with no problems but things have changed.......

I am not an expert on import or pharmacy law, but I believe that if Customs finds those drugs, they will take them.

99.999% of people will pick up something for a family member or friend back home....but you do have that small percentage who are probably buying drugs to resale on the street. Especially pain killers...so Customs has to take all of them to stop the bad guys.

Also, I am sure the FDA isn't thrilled about this practice because there are no US Government controls to guarantee that you are really getting what they say it is.

I would not recommend it for those 2 reasons, but I am certain that many people do buy them and bring it back into the US.

All excellent advice! I would love to do cave tubing but will have 6 yr old with me and dont want him to freak..or me for that matter. Think I'll stroll the gated area and look for the Wet Lizard. At least the 6 yr old can get me back to the boat if needed! :D

If you go behind the shops on the pier there is an area (inside the compound) with locals selling their handicrafts.

I got a beautiful Rosewood bowl from Colin (Rasta man)for $40. and lot cheaper & nicer than the shop on the pier.

And even better shopping right outside the compound (back gate)

But you need to fend off the tour guides at the gate!!

If you are not frightend like some are go outside the compound.

We took a tour from one of the guides outside the gate & survived!;)

It is all in your comfort level.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived