Westerdam Help!!!???

Ziggy7

For Ziggy (Debbie)...

It is the rare day that I'm able to finally ANSWER some WESTERDAM questions instead of ASKING them. And, the even rarer day that I'm able to assist you...one of the Holland American experts!

Having just returned from the 10/15-10/22 cruise, I can share the following with you: The Captain is Henk Keijer, a very amiable Master of the ship. We had the good fortune to share a number of conversations with him. Although from the Netherlands, he and his wife and young daughter live in Australia. They are currently traveling with him on the ship. He enjoys meeting the "guests" and views his position as more of a hobby than a job...a "job" that he truly loves as his eyes sparkle every time he talks about it! We thoroughly enjoyed his humor during each of the daily reports he gave over the loudspeaker. We also appreciated seeing him about the ship...he's certainly not a Captain that hides on the Bridge!

The Cruise Director is Steve Gayda from Canada. Although we didn't participate in any of the ship's games & poolside activities, we did see him introduce each of the evening shows. He seemed very cheerful and upbeat when we met him at the "suite" functions. He made many clear announcements over the ship's PA system and his Disembarkation Talk was quite entertaining (as they usually are on most ships).

The Hotel Manager was Ron Bontenbal...a remarkably tall gentleman! He literally stands out in any crowd. Sadly he wasn't able to attend our Meet & Greet, so I didn't have the opportunity to chat with him personally.

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU OUT...HAVE A TERRIFIC CRUISE...I KNOW YOU WILL!

Debjo

Thanks Debjo !!!

While I was waiting for our CC'ers to answer, I got this answer from ship services, yet a third different answer!! They must be changing staff or they dont know whos's on their ships LOL

Hello,

Captain: Hendrik Keijer

Hotel Manager: Cornelis van Santen

Cruise Director: Not sure yet?

Have a great cruise!

Arica M Hawley

Arica M Hawley

Coordinator,On board Event Services

For Ziggy (Debbie)...

After we boarded (and with my overly high expectations for my "suite" life), I found that there seemed to be a general lack of that level of service that so many past passengers have given glowing reports to. While the concierges were always pleasant and cheerful, I felt like I knew more about what was going on than they did, at first. (But, my knowledge would have been quite sparse had it not been for everyone on these Cruise Critic Boards, so without that foreknowledge, I probably wouldn't have noticed that anything was amiss or lacking...I guess that is the price I paid for having done SO MUCH research in the year and a half before our cruise.) Our Cabin Steward was very good in keeping our cabin tidy, but also seemed to be a bit unaware of what the Concierge did for the "suite" passengers versus what the people at the Front Desk were able to do. After resolving most of my "perks" in the first two days of the cruise, I finally figured out that with the WESTERDAM's repositioning from Alaska to the Caribbean (along with our 10/15 trip being the first of the Caribbean itineraries) that perhaps many of the staff and crew were "new" to the ship. I tactfully asked this of the Front Desk personnel one evening and my suspicions were confirmed.

Having had numerous conversations with Shore Excursion personnel at HAL headquarters in Seattle before our trip with regard to our cabana and butler upgrade, I was finally told to ask the Shore Excursion people on the ship after we boarded...they would be able to answer my questions for certain (which they did). So, I'm not really surprised that you've come up with three sets of answers to your question regarding the Capt., CD., and HM. When we talked with the Captain and he told us that his family was sailing with him, he mentioned that they would be on the WESTERDAM for three more weeks...so he may be leaving the ship with his family after your cruise (or perhaps he meant that his family was leaving in three more weeks and he might be staying on!) Guess you'll know for sure when you get on the ship!

Debjo

For Ziggy (Debbie)...

After we boarded (and with my overly high expectations for my "suite" life), I found that there seemed to be a general lack of that level of service that so many past passengers have given glowing reports to. While the concierges were always pleasant and cheerful, I felt like I knew more about what was going on than they did, at first. (But, my knowledge would have been quite sparse had it not been for everyone on these Cruise Critic Boards, so without that foreknowledge, I probably wouldn't have noticed that anything was amiss or lacking...I guess that is the price I paid for having done SO MUCH research in the year and a half before our cruise.) Our Cabin Steward was very good in keeping our cabin tidy, but also seemed to be a bit unaware of what the Concierge did for the "suite" passengers versus what the people at the Front Desk were able to do. After resolving most of my "perks" in the first two days of the cruise, I finally figured out that with the WESTERDAM's repositioning from Alaska to the Caribbean (along with our 10/15 trip being the first of the Caribbean itineraries) that perhaps many of the staff and crew were "new" to the ship. I tactfully asked this of the Front Desk personnel one evening and my suspicions were confirmed.

Having had numerous conversations with Shore Excursion personnel at HAL headquarters in Seattle before our trip with regard to our cabana and butler upgrade, I was finally told to ask the Shore Excursion people on the ship after we boarded...they would be able to answer my questions for certain (which they did). So, I'm not really surprised that you've come up with three sets of answers to your question regarding the Capt., CD., and HM. When we talked with the Captain and he told us that his family was sailing with him, he mentioned that they would be on the WESTERDAM for three more weeks...so he may be leaving the ship with his family after your cruise (or perhaps he meant that his family was leaving in three more weeks and he might be staying on!) Guess you'll know for sure when you get on the ship!

Debjo

Debjo,

First of all thanks for the quick replies :) I was in a rush a hour ago but wanted to Welcome you home from your cruise!!!

Also, I feel that we as CC'ers know more than alot of HAL employees LOL So I'm going with your answer hehehe.

I wanted to draw up a follow-up letter to be given once we board the ship, to make sure they were invited to our Meet & Greet, the next day :)

I guess I could just address the job title but feel it would be much better to address by name, my only other option would be to make on out for all the names LOL

Thanks for taking the time to help out!

For Ziggy (Debbie)...

Happy to oblige...after all, you've helped me with all my incessant questions in the past...it is a pleasure to be on the other side of the question mark for once!

I hope that you are able to get some of the Executive Staff to your Meet & Greet...sadly, none were available to come to ours, but I was able to meet them at several functions on other days during our cruise.

Debjo

Just an observation re our get together ( I was on Westerdam w/ Debjo) -

While I have no overwhelming desire or need to get acquainted with the executive staff on board, I do feel it is poor public relations on HAL's part not to have a member of the executive team at cruise critic get togethers.

Those of us on the board here tend to be the most vocal and loyal HAL customers and it just makes sense to me as a good business practice to acknowledge that commitment.

Given a pool of Captain, Cruise Director, Hotel Manager, Guest Services Manager, 1st Officer or the Food and Beverage Manager it seems SOMEONE could have found time in their day to stop by if only for 10 minutes. We had 30+ at our gathering and while we managed fine w/o them, it sent the wrong message to me, at least, as to the value they place on our advocacy of HAL.

Hmmm, interesting question. I wonder if this could be the reason no one showed up for our M&G...

Will have to post a message to CCCM and ask her. She was so wonderful and made all the arrangments.

I am wondering, did anyone in your group invite them to this meeting ??? If so, did they ever get a response ??? Do you know ???

I sure hope my efforts are not in vane!

Ziggy - I didn't make the arrangements so don't know if they were specifically invited but the ship staff did arrange to have the coffee and cookies and such delivered, so someone knew the function was going on and what the nature of the group was.

If I were part of the executive staff I guess I'd want a listing of daily activities for special groups like this or at the vry least be reminded of cruise critic get togethers.

I will attempt to contact the person who made our arrangements for the gathering and see if she specifically invited any of those individuals and I'll report back here.

Here I am to give some background. Ziggy I love your idea, then again you always seem so organized and with it.

I did the planning for our gathering. Booked the room under my name but with Cruise Critic Gathering as the function name. The first night I received a letter from Beverage Manager call or stop by if I needed anything. Letter was addressed to Cruise Critic and then my name. I stopped by to meet him and he brought me to Piano Bar and explained that we would have some food, asked if I need anything. I thanked him and that was it. He kept the letter in his hand, I thought about asking for it back, but decided not too. So if I should have invited folks, I am sorry that I did not, did not know I needed to invite them. My understanding was that they monitor roll call threads. Why did I think this....my answer is below.

On our last cruise Zuiderdam, 2005, no one asked anyone to come. From what I understand and may be incorrect, the HotMan printed the thread and gave it to Captain and he came. HotMan had something else happening I believe. He had read through entire thread and wanted to come. Captain and meeting organizer had many discussions about scuba, etc throughout the week. Nothing ever formally done for that gathering in the Crow's Next, perhaps 15 of us total, chatting and having a couple of drinks. At no one time were all 15 or so of us together.

I am sorry that I did not get us a staff member for our gathering. The guilt of letting down our group. Don't think I am going to plan another one.

BTW The Beverage Manager is Walter Schmunckenshlag. He was very nice and we passed each other several times throughout the week.

Also, I believe Steve the Cruise Director is off to the Grand World Voyage....could be wrong....

Any remaining questions about 10/15 Cruise Critic Gathering, let me know.

A couple more items.....Captains family was with him as mentioned on one of our reviews. I forgot to mention that at Club HAL they had a birthday party for his 3 year old daughter. Kristen went to it and spoke about it after. They got a small item for attending. Please see purr's observation in her review about the photos and captain...honest to god truth. Finally one officer did stop to chat with us shortly after michmike at disembarkation, very friendly and wanted to talk to Kristen about her future cruise plans, and spoke about his daughters years ago when they cruised and were her age, can't remember his name.

JUST FOR THE RECORD...

I think that CCCM (Celeste) did a marvelous job in taking the reponsibility for organizing the Meet & Greet for our 10/15 cruise. Being new to HAL, I wouldn't have know where to begin. Yes, it would have been grand if someone from the ship's executive staff had joined us, but I thought the Meet & Greet was more for our Roll Call members to get to know each other and put faces to the user names that we all became "known" by. The light refreshments provided by the ship were fine...after all, most of us had come to the M&G after lunch, so we didnt' have a big appetite! The Piano Bar and the time set for the gathering were perfect. I can't imagine trying to get everyone together on embarkation day!

In my book, Celeste gets an A+ for her efforts. I don't see how the responsibility for a visit from the ship's staff rests on her shoulders. It would have just been icing on the cake for me! Fortunately, we got to meet many people from the executive staff at other times throughout the ship on our cruise.

I think that Ziggy's idea of sending off personal invitations to the ship's staff is a wonderful one...but I wouldn't think that it would be a necessity to getting a member of the staff to come to the Cruise Critic Meeting. Is it possible that the staff members only come to the meetings of sanctioned Cruise Critic cruises???

Debjo (who used to be a HAL virgin)

I second Debjo's comment about CCCM and the planning. We had a great turn out and she did a fantastic job. Kudos to you girl!!!!

We can ask ourselves over and over again what could have been done differently. Coulda, woulda, shoulda , didn't. Oh well. The fact of the matter is they knew about the gathering and still didn't pop in to say Hello. To me, is disrespectful and rude.

CCCM: Don't you dare feel guilty about their rudeness. You did a FANTASTIC job and I personally think we had a great turnout.

I personally didn't care if they stopped by or not.

Here I am to give some background. Ziggy I love your idea, then again you always seem so organized and with it.

I did the planning for our gathering. Booked the room under my name but with Cruise Critic Gathering as the function name. The first night I received a letter from Beverage Manager call or stop by if I needed anything. Letter was addressed to Cruise Critic and then my name. I stopped by to meet him and he brought me to Piano Bar and explained that we would have some food, asked if I need anything. I thanked him and that was it. He kept the letter in his hand, I thought about asking for it back, but decided not too. So if I should have invited folks, I am sorry that I did not, did not know I needed to invite them. My understanding was that they monitor roll call threads. Why did I think this....my answer is below.

On our last cruise Zuiderdam, 2005, no one asked anyone to come. From what I understand and may be incorrect, the HotMan printed the thread and gave it to Captain and he came. HotMan had something else happening I believe. He had read through entire thread and wanted to come. Captain and meeting organizer had many discussions about scuba, etc throughout the week. Nothing ever formally done for that gathering in the Crow's Next, perhaps 15 of us total, chatting and having a couple of drinks. At no one time were all 15 or so of us together.

I am sorry that I did not get us a staff member for our gathering. The guilt of letting down our group. Don't think I am going to plan another one.

BTW The Beverage Manager is Walter Schmunckenshlag. He was very nice and we passed each other several times throughout the week.

Also, I believe Steve the Cruise Director is off to the Grand World Voyage....could be wrong....

Any remaining questions about 10/15 Cruise Critic Gathering, let me know.

A couple more items.....Captains family was with him as mentioned on one of our reviews. I forgot to mention that at Club HAL they had a birthday party for his 3 year old daughter. Kristen went to it and spoke about it after. They got a small item for attending. Please see purr's observation in her review about the photos and captain...honest to god truth. Finally one officer did stop to chat with us shortly after michmike at disembarkation, very friendly and wanted to talk to Kristen about her future cruise plans, and spoke about his daughters years ago when they cruised and were her age, can't remember his name.

CCCM,

Please dont be hard on yourself, eeeks just making the arrangements should have been enough for at least one staff member to show up! But since I have read alot on confussion on the Westerdam during this time of transition, I'm not leaving anything to chance. You didnt have the hind sight I did so really , you strpped forward and planned a wonderful meeting :) Their loss then didnt come meet all you wonderful people!!! Thanks for all the information you did help me with :)

Now off to bed for me, I fly out at very early!!!

JUST FOR THE RECORD...

I think that CCCM (Celeste) did a marvelous job in taking the reponsibility for organizing the Meet & Greet for our 10/15 cruise. Being new to HAL, I wouldn't have know where to begin. Yes, it would have been grand if someone from the ship's executive staff had joined us, but I thought the Meet & Greet was more for our Roll Call members to get to know each other and put faces to the user names that we all became "known" by. The light refreshments provided by the ship were fine...after all, most of us had come to the M&G after lunch, so we didnt' have a big appetite! The Piano Bar and the time set for the gathering were perfect. I can't imagine trying to get everyone together on embarkation day!

In my book, Celeste gets an A+ for her efforts. I don't see how the responsibility for a visit from the ship's staff rests on her shoulders. It would have just been icing on the cake for me! Fortunately, we got to meet many people from the executive staff at other times throughout the ship on our cruise.

I think that Ziggy's idea of sending off personal invitations to the ship's staff is a wonderful one...but I wouldn't think that it would be a necessity to getting a member of the staff to come to the Cruise Critic Meeting. Is it possible that the staff members only come to the meetings of sanctioned Cruise Critic cruises???

Debjo (who used to be a HAL virgin)

Debjo,

I dont think they only come to cc group cruises, but a while ago I hear there was something with LaurasS and HAL, and from then on HAL doesnt attend the meetings unless invited. It was a thread here on the HAL boards. Seems like it was a couple of months ago, in a discusson about how to set up a meeting with the staff.

I'm a list person, so I never leave anything to chance anyway, so I'm inviting them, doesnt guarrantee they will show up either. LOL

Celeste -I'm with Michelle and Debjo. You did a great job and certainly none of what I had to say was a criticism of you. We all had a good time on our own at the get together.

Like Michelle said, they knew we were there and for whatever reason chose not to attend. I still think a personal invitation should not have been necessary. But hey.. we had Sal and Kaye.. not every CC get together has them.. *S*

I second Debjo's comment about CCCM and the planning. We had a great turn out and she did a fantastic job. Kudos to you girl!!!!

We can ask ourselves over and over again what could have been done differently. Coulda, woulda, shoulda , didn't. Oh well. The fact of the matter is they knew about the gathering and still didn't pop in to say Hello. To me, is disrespectful and rude.

CCCM: Don't you dare feel guilty about their rudeness. You did a FANTASTIC job and I personally think we had a great turnout.

I personally didn't care if they stopped by or not.

I'd like to THIRD the remarks made by Debjo and Purr regarding CCCM's work on our meet&greet.

Things went smoothly, there were beverages available lots of laughter and of course flying monkeys were sailing through the air. Personally I liked the sign outside the door that said "Private function".

IMHO it should not be up to the planner to "invite" the staff to this kind of function. The staff should have made themselves available even if for a short period to make sure everything was satisfactory.

Just my 2 cents.

But since I have read alot on confussion on the Westerdam during this time of transition, I'm not leaving anything to chance.

Ziggy...

Funny you should mention this...I hadn't read any of that "yet"...but have to say that with all my list making and planning for this momentous cruise of mine (and my first time with HAL), I was a bit disappointed in some areas and felt like I spent the first 2-3 days of being onboard doing much more "problem solving" that I cared to...for the plans DH & I had along with those that involved my group of 8. By Tuesday, I was feeling not as "pampered" as I had hoped the "suite" life would have afforded me. By that time I pretty much had acertained (along with a few well placed questions to the staff and crew) that there was a big change-over of staff and crew from the Alaskan itinerary to the Caribbean itinerary, which was most likely the cause for some miscommunication between departments and the feeling that we "knew" more than the staff and crew about how things "usually" function on the WESTERDAM. In addition, I also suspect that some of the shipments of "stock" that were supposed to make it to the ship before it sailed might have been "late". By the end of the cruise, "stuff" that we were told was all gone at the beginning was now available. I only wish someone had been up front with us about all of this, so we wouldn't have had to spend a lot of time double, triple, & quadrupally checking things. It seemed like the first few days aboard were filled with staff/crew that didn't know the finer details of what they were doing.

Don't get me wrong...we ended up having a marvelous time and we'll definitely sail with HAL again. Why, if the WESTERDAM was doing their Alaskan itinerary for 2007 (like they did in 2006) we'd be back on her for that trip. Perhaps the lesson I've learned in all of this is that perhaps I tend to do TOO MUCH planning/research and therefore had expectations for my 50th birthday cruise with HAL that ran a bit too high. Since I returned, I keep asking myself if I hadn't gleaned all that I did from these message boards, would I have even "known" that there were some things that were amiss with the "suite" life and our general onboard experience. Will that lessen my research on future cruises/ships??? I think that it is hard to teach and "old" dog new tricks...so the research will probably continue...after all, with my tendancy to book cruises FAR in advance, the research keeps the cruise "alive" for me!

I'm looking forward to hearing what your WESTERDAM experience was like when you return...it will be good to compare notes!

Debjo

Thanks everyone...the guilt is gone! Just an FYI I hve gained more weight since I got home than I did on the entire cruise (4 lbs on the cruise). Gotta stop eating like there is no tomorrow.

I have posted a couple of pics to our review of us at different ports. Hope everyone enjoys!

Debjo - I think that I learned don't go on the first cruise after repositioning. Like don't do the first alaska of the season..........

For CCCM...

I think that I've learned that lesson as well...with each cruise we go on a new "lesson" is learned.

You asked...WHERE TO NEXT? Well, the answer is ALASKA either early in the season when the weather should be clearer (but not at the very beginning...learned that lesson!) or at the end of the season. We don't want to take on the higher fares that June/July/August dictate...even though the cruise will be for our 30th anniversary and that falls during the height of the Alaskan season!

What are your next plans??? By the way...where do I find that "review" & Pics that you mentioned?

Debjo

Steve Gayda is no longer the Cruise Director on the Westerdam. His last day on the Westerdam was yesterday. He is going to be back home in Canada for the next couple of months, then will be on the Amsterdam for the World Cruise. Billy, formerly known as the Bingo Flamingo, has been promoted and is now the cruise director on the Westerdam, for the next few months at least.

Hey Hojo-

Welcome home! I'm still rockin' and swayin', last day at sea was a bit rough. I'm going to miss that sensation. I am sorry I missed the get together at aft bar, I lost track of time and when I looked at the clock it was after 3:00 :(

Did you have a great time? Was it all that you hoped it would be? I found the ship to be beautiful and the staff was the friendliest (is that even a word?) I've ever seen.

jac

Steve Gayda is no longer the Cruise Director on the Westerdam. His last day on the Westerdam was yesterday. He is going to be back home in Canada for the next couple of months' date=' then will be on the Amsterdam for the World Cruise. Billy, formerly known as the Bingo Flamingo, has been promoted and is now the cruise director on the Westerdam, for the next few months at least.[/quote']

:eek: This could have been painful had he left prior to our cruise.

Hey Hojo-

Welcome home! I'm still rockin' and swayin', last day at sea was a bit rough. I'm going to miss that sensation. I am sorry I missed the get together at aft bar, I lost track of time and when I looked at the clock it was after 3:00 :(

Did you have a great time? Was it all that you hoped it would be? I found the ship to be beautiful and the staff was the friendliest (is that even a word?) I've ever seen.

jac

I had a great time. I go on cruises to unwind, which I did. Even let loose a little in Costa Maya :p

I didn't make it to the cc get together. DW isn't into that kind of thing. Besides, I didn't have a clue how to find out the time until about the fifth day.

The crew was awesome, friendly, caring and willing to go the extra mile. My only sore spots were the Pinnacle Grille and the Spa. Other than that I had a great time. Especially the shows! I have come to have a very low expectation for onboard entertainment, and was pleasantly surprised.

DD sure attracted a lot of attention from the other pax. Especially when she had her hair put up for formal nights. Also, we bought her one of the tumblers with the flashing LED lights in the bottom. Amazing how many people had never seen anything like that before.

Archived