Need some good book suggestions...

kathyemma

I love to read and would like to discover some new (new to me) authors to read while relaxing by the pool. I don't want anything to deep or thought provoking. I love Janet Evonovich, John Stanford and Augusteen Burroughs. So, who has some good recommendations??

I just picked up a softcover coffee-table book called "Cruise:**Identity, Design and Culture" published by Rizzoli Books.

It has great photographs and insight to the way we used to cruise years ago and how that affects us today.

Enjoy!

I love to read and would like to discover some new (new to me) authors to read while relaxing by the pool. I don't want anything to deep or thought provoking. I love Janet Evonovich, John Stanford and Augusteen Burroughs. So, who has some good recommendations??

Evanovich's new one, Motor Mouth was light and fun. Not a Stephanie Plum book. This character is just as fun and wacky - about NASCAR and races.

Bev

Jodi Picoult's books are great.

Yes, they are. Since you're from Atlanta, have you both read Haywood Smith's books? Red Hat Club and Red Hat Club Rides Again (or something like that). About a group of gals in Buckhead. Loved them!

Bev

(formerly a southern gal)

too funny. My mom is a member of the Red Hat Society. Those ladies are all crazy. A group of them went to the Ritz Carlton for "tea" - they got hammered - they were all asked to leave and never return. So, if you try to go into the ritz in mclean, va - don't wear a red hat, they won't let you in.

I will have to get those books for my mom to read - she will be on the cruise with me.

I just finished reading a series of books by Mindy Starns Clark called the Million Dollar Mysteries (titles are "A Penny for your thoughts," "Don't take any wooden nickels," "A Dime a Dozen," "A Quarter for a Kiss" and one other with the word 'dollar' in it.) THe first one I read was the quarter one because it takes partly on St. John (my favorite island) and partly on the eastern shore of Maryland where I grew up. The other books take place elsewhere. Light reading. Have fun!

Your mom will love them. Title is Red Hat Club, not Society, but principle is the same. Haywood Smith has moved from Atlanta to Boston, has a web site, and will answer your e-mails. Her book was so typical of the Buckhead area of Atlanta I felt compelled to e-mail her, and she told me she was Queen Mother or Mother Superior, or whatever they call the head honcho of her own Red Hat Society. Someday, when I'm too old to play tennis, dance, and cruise, maybe I'll consider getting tipsy at the Ritz in a red hat. http://www.haywoodsmith.net

Bev

Try any of the following authors

Stuart Woods

Ken Follett

Frederick Forsythe

Stephen Frey

Clive Cussler

Robert Parker ( the Spencer series ..love the wise cracking way he writes)

David Baldacci

Robt Tannenbaum

Robt Ludlum

Vince Flynn

Nelson DeMille

Wilbur Smith is WONDERFUL. Start with "Birds of Prey" and then follow up

with "Monsoon" and "Blue Horizon".

If you're a foodie at all you'd enjoy any of the books by Ruth Reichl, editor of

Gourmet magazine Look for "Tender at the Bone" or "Comfort me w/

apples."

She has a new one out but I'm not sure of the title.

If you want an interesting tale of a Toronto couple who take off on a 40 ft

sailboat and sail the Caribbean get "An Embarrassment of Mangoes" by Ann

Vanderhoof

and for sheer fun, it's tough to beat "Walter the farting dog goes on a cruise"

by William Kotzwinkle et al.

I just read A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby. He wrote the book that the Huigh Grant movie, About a Boy, was based on. A long Way Down was a great book about four people who meet on the roof of a building on New Year's Eve, when all of them are planning to jump. That doesn't sound too promising, I'll admit, but it was a really fun read and very affecting.

Evanovich's new one, Motor Mouth was light and fun. Not a Stephanie Plum book. This character is just as fun and wacky - about NASCAR and races.

Bev

I've read almost all of the Stephanie Plum's. Need to get caught up. Saw Motor Mouth at the store the other day. Might have to get it.

I've read almost all of the Stephanie Plum's. Need to get caught up. Saw Motor Mouth at the store the other day. Might have to get it.

I've really enjoyed 'reading" these as audiobooks. I bring my IPod on cruises so I can listen to books and not have the pages flap in the wind. It also helps to keep a hand free for cocktails. :) Anyhow, these are particularly well-read by her reader.

Vpoopsy, if you like Janet/Stephanie, why not get all the books you haven't read...you know you'll be happy with your choice!

I'd even suggest you might get back issues at a good used book store, and leave them with the ship's library as you finish them...I only have one problem wih Stephanie Plum's character: She makes me laugh out loud, and I mean the full bellied guffaw, even in public!:o

Great, light cruise reading!:D

Otherwise, I'm pretty certain I haven't met Mitchmike, but I do believe he's been in my home perusing my shelves!:eek: Any of his list are great picks! (and my nephews love Walter!)

I recommend any of Sue Grafton's "alphabet mysteries".

My absolute favorites though are anything by Elizabeth Peters (aka Barbara Michaels) but especially her Amelia Peabody mysteries starting with "Crocodile on the Sandbank".

I tend to buy everything in audio format these days and listen on tape or iPod. Like Schplinky says - It also helps to keep a hand free for cocktails.

I recommend any of Sue Grafton's "alphabet mysteries".

My absolute favorites though are anything by Elizabeth Peters (aka Barbara Michaels) but especially her Amelia Peabody mysteries starting with "Crocodile on the Sandbank".

I tend to buy everything in audio format these days and listen on tape or iPod. Like Schplinky says - It also helps to keep a hand free for cocktails.

I haven't had to buy too many. Our library has an amazing selection of books on cd. I just import them to itunes and away I go on holiday with a couple dozen books to choose from in a device that weighs a few ounces. This is especially great since you can read the book that you 'feel like" on the day and you can bail on a bad book and not regret carrying it all that way.

p.s. I just finished S is for Silence, by Grafton, and thought it was great.

I know! Ours has thousands of them now and certainly everything that is available in audiobook form the best-sellers list. I find I have to request them now, because demand is so strong.

I wasn't a big library user before my Ipod. Books always seem to come when I don't have the time to read them. With the Ipod, I throw books on the hard drive and listen and delete them when I'm able.

Well clearly you're a lady of impeccable taste.. GMTA

I'd have stayed longer persuing your bookshelves but you didn't have my brand of bourbon.. *L*

have you read any of the Wilbur Smith books? My sister turned me on to him and I've probably read a dozen of his now. The River God, Seventh Scroll, Warlock trilogy of his is another that is equally as compelling as that starting with Birds of Prey.

Minette Walters (The Shape of Snakes; Disordered Minds);

any of the Harry Bosch books by Michael Connelly;

any of Ian Rankin's Rebus series;

Ann-Marie MacDonald (The Way the Crow Flies);

and oh my goodness anything at all by Val McDermid: The Wire in the Blood; The Mermaids Singing; The Last Temptation; A Place of Execution.

All among my faves!!

I have recently discovered an author who writes "light and fluffy" but good (and funny!) books. Her name is Sophie Kinsella-- so far I've read Can You Keep a Secret? and Undomestic Goddess. Both were great IMO! I plan on taking at least 2 of her books with me when we go on our Christmas cruise.

Fun thread! I love to read!

aggie/1/ca

I am going to have to book a world cruise in order to have enough time to read all these wonderful books! Thanks! (Now does anyone want to pay for my world cruise? I would like a suite.)

Two great books that i just finished - The Cinderella Pact by Sarah Strohmeyer and Ricochet by Brown.

Kathy

Archived