Train & Boat or Just Boat?

wollenkv

We are trying to pick an excursion. One is 45 min on train plus 1 hr by boat on canal plus banana plantation stop. The other is 2 hours on the canal.

Which is best? Is the extra hour on the canal better than the time on the train? Haven't found very much positive on the board about the train. I thought the variety of train/boat would be better. Need your options please.

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned today and chose the Canal by Boat excursion. We had a great time and were able to experience the entire canal. When we came to the different locks, since we were a smaller, we had to wait for the freighter behind us to transit with us. It was quite something seeing that huge ship behind us. It was a wonderful trip, I know you will have a great time, Costa Rica is great as well. Not sure which cruise line you'll be on but if you have a chance, look into the 'Off Road Adventure' in Limon. We were very happy with the excursion, it really exceeded our expectations. Our guide Erik and his driver were great!

Mary

• 2 weeks later...
We are trying to pick an excursion. One is 45 min on train plus 1 hr by boat on canal plus banana plantation stop. The other is 2 hours on the canal.

Which is best? Is the extra hour on the canal better than the time on the train? Haven't found very much positive on the board about the train. I thought the variety of train/boat would be better. Need your options please.

I did the boat and train tour and liked the train a little better. I saw more wildlife( sloths, monkeys) and "real" Costa Rica on the train.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Train Boat, Bus tour and in my opinion I would definetly skip the train!!

The bus part was the Banana Plantation. The train offered a couple of nice views but that was it. We most enjoyed the boat part of this excursion! If I were to do it again I would not do the train and stick with the longer boat tour. There were several of us on a Roll Call thread which did the same tour and we all seemed to be in agreement about this. Some added info....I was with three of my children on this tour (ages 9, 10 and 14) and all 4 of us would have liked more time on the river.

• 2 weeks later...

We leave next week and are doing the Train,Boat and Bus. I'll let you know what we think when we come back. When my SIL and I were looking at the list, we were in the same quandary as you. We thought the train was a/c but now (after booking), I see that it's not. Uh, oh, hubby may kill me if it it's really hot. Oh, well, he'll get over it. We're in the tropics after all.

Trish

• 2 weeks later...

We're back and I have to agree with the others that say skip the train. While we did see some pretty countryside (and 1 set of monkeys that they stopped for), I much preferred the boat. We didn't get to go through any locks at all. Our ship had a choice of 2 times, we chose the later time. Mistake, it was hot and we barely made it back to the ship in time. Fortunately, we had gone to the market before our tour or there would have been no time for shopping.

One thing I have to say about Costa Rica, is that I have never experienced a friendlier group of people. The folks in the market when you get off the ship, the guides, everyone was so nice. I would love to go back and spend more time there.

Thanks trish99!!

Did you enjoy the Tortuguero Canalride?

While I am not Trish I can answer you about the canal ride. We did this on Princess in 2004 and was one of the best esxcursions we have ever done. Nice slow boat ride through the canl, saw many monkeys, alligators and all sorts of birds; saw a sloth or two in the trees. They are very hard to spot but the guid on the boat pointed them out to us. I personally would highly recommend the boat ride.

marilyn

Archived