Suites - Owners Suite- Ever Booked One & Why?

We have booked our second cruise - this time on RCCL's "Mariner of the Seas". Our first cruise, on Carnival last year, we booked an inside room. This time we are going all out with an Owner's Suite.

I am curious - for those of you that have had a suite, what was your impression? Did you like it? Was it worth the money? Do you ALWAYS book suites after having one? Why DID you book a suite?

Thanks for all the replies. This will be our first cruise on RCCL and I think we made a wise choice.

We've booked an OS for the 14-nt "Ultimate Alaska" cruise on the Radiance in 2007. We booked right after the itinerary came out, and, compared to OS on other itineraries, we got a great deal. We knew we wouldn't likely get a price in an OS like this again, and given that we only need to pay for airfare home (we live in BC), we went for it.

Our past RCCL cruises have been in JS. We like the extra space as we do spend a fair amount of time in our cabin. I'm sure the OS will spoil us, but we'll likely go back to a JS after this! It's just something that we wanted to experience once, and we loved the idea of both the balcony AND the window seating area on the Alaskan itinerary (for when it's too chilly). Also, we're traveling with our child and like that his sleeping area (the sofa bed) can be "cut off" a little with the curtain, creating a separate space. I also like that the TV can be rotated so we can still watch TV while he's in bed.

I've been in an OS on the Mariner, in late August of last year. There were so many price reductions on that sailing that it actually cost LESS to be in the OS than the D1 I had originally booked much earlier. Gotta love RCCL for honoring price drops, even after final payment. :)

YES, it is wonderful category on the Mariner; it is a HUGE room with a large flat-screen TV in the middle that swivels between the bedroom and sitting area. Having access to the concierge lounge was wonderful as well.

That said, heck NO, I don't always book a suite! ;) I was actually in one of the corner aft cabins on the Mariner in June this year, 1388, a Cat D1, and thought it was a great bargain for that time of year...and was VERY pleased with that cabin. I've sailed in all categories on different ships, I really don't do INSIDES well, but outsides are great for shorter sailings, and I really do enjoy a balcony for a 7-night or longer cruise.

Enjoy your OS!;)

We've traded up little by little.... we started with a balcony and then jr suite...grand suite and now we are booked on the Liberty OS.

They are really nice and make the vacation a little more special. We enjoy relaxing in the room late in the afternoon. There is more than enough room for your belongings - you'll have room to spare.

Nice to have those free pre-dinner cocktails and you don't have to go very far for a delicious cup of coffee in the morning.

Of course you can have a wonderful vacation in any type of cabin - it's all about priorities and just enjoying family time.

we're a family of 4 (2 teen boys) and historically we book 2 cabins but for our explorer to bermuda last june we decided to get an owners suite.

it was awesome........real bathroom, huge living space, huge balcony, flat screen t.v. but for us..... the greatest advantage were the perks.

1st of all... royal caribbean considers that suite the equivalent of 2 cruises for your crown and anchor club.

next..... the priority boarding

then....... the consierge lounge (which we went into several times a day)

and finally....the consierge who could not do enough for us.

now having said all of that.......we have 2 cruises booked and we went back to 2 cabins. why??? well for 1 thing........ we really need 2 bathrooms.

next.......privacy

and finally.......having to pick up constantly after my 2 sloppy sons:D

I take my 3 teen girls with me. Last june we had a grand on Freedom. This year we got an owners for the same price on Liberty. The girls prefer this to two rooms. They feel special and we can all hang out together. It is about $3000. more than a balcony but worth it. They are only little once.

We had one for my 40th Bday on Legend of the Seas. I could not believe

the amount of room! The balcony and bathroom were huge! I didn't feel

that we were in each other's pockets all the time.

We got lucky and got a bit of a price break because we went 2 weeks

before Xmas. The price shot up for the holidays!

I haven't, but my brother did...He cruised Alaska on the Summit in the "Owner's Suite"...

Why?

He's a Billionaire (yeah, I'm serious, not exaggerating) and the money was inconsequential to him...

So, you say, what about us "real people"?

Well, the concept is still the same...it's relative...You generally don't book that expensive a suite if it's a major stretch for you. If you can easily afford it, it's not a big deal...I'm sure lots of us buy a Mercedes or a Porsche when a Hyundai or Kia will get you there as well...Why do you buy the expensive car? Because you want the luxury...and you can afford it...

For me, I can afford the nicer suites, but I generally choose not to...Why? because I don't spend that much time in my room and an "ordinary" balcony cabin works just fine for me...and I can use the extra money on other things...like more cruises...I also drive an Acura TL (though I can afford nicer...just don't see the point)...

I did cruise Alaska with my family in two "Sky Suites" on the Summit...and it did not "spoil" me to where I can't go back to ordinary cabins...Yeah, it was nice...and IF IT COST only a minor amount beyond the balcony cabins, I'd do it again in an instant...but when the cost is SUBSTANTIAL...or the cost differential for the Owner's Suite is substantial, then, the answer for me is easy...I like it, but I have no problem passing on it...

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is it's all a product of two things:

1) What you can easily afford...

2) How satisfied you are with those "simpler" things...

I also stayed in an Owner's suite on Explorer to Bermuda in June.

(Hey Cruz, nice to see your red writing again)

We went with my Daughter 13 and Son 11. We loved the extra space and the big bathroom.

I agree with Cruz that I would probably go with two balcony cabins next time for the extra shower and more privacy.

I am booked for Alaska without the kids and we have a D1 balcony cabin. So yes, you CAN go back after staying in a suite.

My only complaint with the Owner's suite is the surround sound system. They only have speakers in the living area. Late at night when we wanted to spin the TV while the kids were asleep we had to have it pretty loud to be able to hear it which woke up the kids.

They really should have speakers in the bedroom area as well.

Oh.........and I forgot about the doorbell!!!!

It started out really cute, until I realized that every teen on the boat felt compelled to ring it as they walked by....haha!!

Andrea

right back at ya:D how's rand and the kids? we are on the mariner this christmas and "scheduled" to cruise on the liberty christmas '07.

frank thinks we canceled this cruise (the '07 one) but i..... just can't do it). i am hoping that after this december he'll change his mind.

it's been nice typing to you:)

We booked a GS and got upgraded to an OS on Radiance last January, our first ever suite, and it was a real treat for DW and DS loved the big flat screen (I'm a curmudgeon and would rather stick with the 36" old fashioned TV and have money left for a cruise, so no, we dont have one at home). The bathroom was bigger than the one at home, DW pointed out. Thanks, that helped my ego...uh, but back to the suite, the problem was that the service didn't keep up with the room...I'd ordered champagne and chocolate covered strawberries for embarkation day...took two frickin' days to get the champagne, after asking constantly, and that took the thrill out of it...they brought a cheese plate as a way of saying sorry, I guess, but I'm not a brie or blue cheese eater or most of the rest of what was on that plate...which is why I didn't order any cheese!! And unfortunately, our suite attendant was the worst one we have had on any cruise. And it took 2 1/2 days to get robes, again, after constant asking. Now, we loved Willie in the concierge lounge and that was a nice treat for DW--and having a constantly full champagne glass made in the lounge made up for a lot with me, too...but then the water stopped flowing mid-shower one day, and the sound vanished from the TV one night (which night? the night of the USC-Texas Rose Bowl, which yes, DS and I wanted to watch). Now, the tropical flowers I ordered were delivered, first day, on time, and stayed fresh all week, so DW got to enjoy those and that was great. So we enjoyed the suite, but could have used some better service.

We've booked another OS for spring break 2008 on the adventure, which we are booked on because DS wanted to cruise on a voyager or freedom class (full court basketball), and we have never been to aruba or curacao. But in between, we were on another cruise just a month after the Radiance OS and were perfectly happy in an oceanview on enchantment, well, it was just DW and myself, that time, no DS. And in 3 weeks we're in a D1 on Radiance for thanksgiving, and in january we've doing a JS on sovereign for 3 nights. But may 2007 back to oceanview, no balcony, on Disney (cost a major input there, but the oceanview rooms on disney are just 20 sq. ft. different than the JS on some of the RCI ships).

so we enjoy it, but it is a treat for us and not something that is easily w/i the budget, at least given the frequency with which we enjoy travel. and subsidizing the next OS with the 125,000 point reward through the RCI visa card, so that will be big help. we've not been so spoiled that we need it, or even need a balcony. i just love to be on a cruise!

This is my 3rd cruise and my DH's 5th or so. We were on Carnival for the last two and had the largest suite for the last one and the one category smaller for the first one. It was nice. For this cruise coming up we are in the Royal suite. For me, I would be happy in an inside cabin. There is so much to do it would be fine. But, DH doesn't love laying out in the sun and likes to sit on the balcony, read the paper, eat breakfast etc. I would have put the kabash on the RS except there is a hot tub on the balcony which sounds sort of cool. And, it really wasn't much more than the other suites when you added everything up. Hoping it is nice.

Tricia

We've sailed 16 times and booked an OS once, last year on the Enchantment for a couple of reasons.

1) Our original cruise was cancelled by Celebrity and we were offered a significant savings to rebook something, so we used the "bonus" money to upgrade to the OS.

2) It was a Canadian cruise from Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale and we knew we wouldn't be hanging by the pool all day, but would most likely be in our cabin and watching the coast line sail by. And that IS exactly what we did!

We've sailed 3 times since then in D-1, E-1 and JS cabins. I personally wouldn't spend the money for an OS on a Caribbean itinerary, but for Alaska or a Transatlantic, if I could afford it, I'd definitely get the absolute largest cabin I could afford at the time, including an RS! :)

My wife and I have booked an Owner's Suite for the Mariner in July 2007. We will also have a 10 and a 17 year old with us. We have never had a suite on a ship before, and are looking very forward to the experience, not to mention the extra space.

We have always sailed on Celebrity before and know that they have butler service. We are hoping that the concierge service on the Mariner will somewhat approach that type of service, but are not counting on it. We are just looking forward to the extra room and feeling kind of special for a week.

the reason I have asked is that we have OS 1320 on Mariner for 4/27/08, right in the middle of the "hump" as I now know it to be. We went all out for this one. Our first cruise was on Carnival Conquest for my 50th birthday. We had an inside cabin and it was nice...but then again, it was our first cruise and we didn't know what to expect.

I have a feeling we are going to be spoiled on this one. Thanks again everyone. I love this forum!

OK, Now I have a question.... What is the "hump?"

On the newer RCCL ships, there is a semicircular protrusion from the sides of the ship...On the residential levels, the cabins along this wall stick out further from the sides of the ship than the rest of the cabins...

Find a deck plan of the Liberty of the Seas for example and look for the cabin I've got booked: #8338...

That is what is called a "center hump"...You'll see why...

The view from the balcony goes all the way down either side of the ship as if you are standing away from the ship...

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/multimedia/popup/deck.do;jsessionid=0000AkYd7pIKf8fMlrABfnPbppm:10ktdmm42?shipCode=LB&shipProfile=1225&sailDate=1070630&deckCode=08

On the above link, scroll down to where you see the cabins in RED...Those are the "hump cabins"...

I have an owner's suite booked on the explorer this summer I know a few people said they stayed in one on the explorer before so i just wanted to ask a couple questions. Someone said the blacony is smaller then the grand suite balcony is that true? Do they have a lounge chair on the balcony? IS the tub a regular tub or whirlpool tub? thanks for the help :)

57 yr old, long-time married man here seeking a nice couple, family, widow (my wife wouldn't mind staying home, honest!) to adopt me so I can experience one of these magnificent looking and sounding suites! LOL

Not jealous, just envious! Hahah....

Hey, the day I win the lottery, I'll be in the Royal Suite, never mind the Owner's Suite! I like to play the piano, so would love to have that grand piano in my suite to play in the morning while eating my strawberry covered chocolates and drinking the champagne!

Oh I'm sure one day....maybe when I'm having to be pushed around on a zimmer frame, wheel chair or even hospital bed!!!

Good for you folks for 'pushing the boat out,' so to speak! If you can do it, why the heck not? Just invite me along one time eh???? wink wink!

I started my cruise days in a four-berth cabin with only a sink, and the waves lapping at the port hole! It was a trip along the hallway to the bathroom. The only thing was, while sitting in the bathtub one day, I happened to notice a rivet missing. And there on the other side of the rivet was a big blue eye! Yes, some woman was watching ME in the bathtub!!!! I hope she enjoyed it....looking at a skinny, 115lb 18 year old wouldn't exactly be my idea of voyeurism! LOL

Enjoy the suite folks....I'm gradually getting closer - just booked a balcony cabin on Deck 9 of the Radiance for the repositioning cruise San Diego to Vancouver in May 2007. Maybe I'll get luck and get an upgrade....and maybe pigs will fly!!!!

The closest we'll ever get to an owner's suite was being invited to look in one by one of the couples we shared the Captain's table with. Back to the envy.........:D Cheers! MJ.

Archived