New tipping policy

Wavey Girl

Just got my cruise docs for a Nov. 4 cruise on Wind Spirit and imagine my surprise when I read the letter from the president of Windstar explaining a $11/day/guest "hotel service fee" to provide gratuities for the staff.:eek: Yes, you can adjust this amount or have it deleted from your bill, but this doesn't sound like the "no tipping policy" claimed on all their material. In addition, any staff member who receives an individual tip must turn it into a 'pool' to be shared by all staff members. :mad:

I don't mind tipping for good service, but I do mind a "bait & switch" policy. This will be my first time on Windstar (but my 7th cruise) and I'm hoping there are no other unpleasant surprises. My best experiences so far have been on Crystal.

Wavey Girl

Just got my cruise docs for a Nov. 4 cruise on Wind Spirit and imagine my surprise when I read the letter from the president of Windstar explaining a $11/day/guest "hotel service fee" to provide gratuities for the staff.:eek: Yes, you can adjust this amount or have it deleted from your bill, but this doesn't sound like the "no tipping policy" claimed on all their material. In addition, any staff member who receives an individual tip must turn it into a 'pool' to be shared by all staff members. :mad:

I don't mind tipping for good service, but I do mind a "bait & switch" policy. This will be my first time on Windstar (but my 7th cruise) and I'm hoping there are no other unpleasant surprises. My best experiences so far have been on Crystal.

Wavey Girl

:eek: Oh no, tell me it isn't true! Just when I thought everything was nearly perfect on the Windstar Ships and they go and do this. We would never think about not tipping those that have made our cruise such a wonderful experience, but with that change they have taken that pleasure away from us.

Shirley

Have just returned from our third Windsurf cruise and as usual loved every minute. I'm very disapointed to hear they are changing the tipping policy. Like Shirley we always tip but don't like the idea of having it imposed on us.

Sheena

This change in policy is not exactly a "bait & switch." It's not like it went from tips included in the cruise price to not included.

I don't mind the add-on so much as we tip anyhow and this will save the running around to get the right denominations. But I do mind that all tips are pooled. It makes sense for the dining room staff, since your servers can change each night. But there are also some people that go out of their way and we should be able to thank them individually. We also like to give out phone cards as thank yous, hopefully that is still allowed.

We took our first Windstar cruise this past June and of course loved loved loved it. Before the cruise I read through the tipping threads on this board to give me an idea of what to expect and do in regards to tipping.

We had fine service and there were a few crew members that served us more than others but we were served by many different crew members during the duration of the cruise. All the service was great and all the crew was friendly even if we weren't one of their "regulars". I kept a log so I wouldn't forget anybody and then tipped accordingly. To tell you the truth it was a bit of work and we did not see a lot of individual tipping going on, though we did see many people putting tips into the dining staff tip box.

I think the majority of passengers do not tip due to the no tipping policy. This new policy ensures that all the crew members who ALL work so hard get something extra for their extraordinary service. So I think it is a good idea.

I concur with both Shirley and Pvan. Shirley stated that most everything is perfect on the Windstar ships and I couldn't agree more. Given the age of the ships, the line continually makes improvements, most of the time for the better. My biggest fear, is at what point does it become cost prohibitive to keep these saling vessels working. There truly is no other line that offers an ambiance like Windstar.

Pvan correctly points out that it's probably the number of people who do not tip that have made it difficult for Windstar to attract and retain quality people. If Windstar is known for anything, it is exceptional service from a truly gracious and hospitable staff. Over the last few cruises, we've observed more frequently, a rising number of passengers who have trouble interpreting the "no tipping policy" and the "casual elegance" theme.

Hi Duct Tape,

My points are mostly economic. Though I don't have any hard facts, it seems that Windstar has not increased prices since we discovered the line in 1998 or 1999. Yet, food, fuel, wages, and maintenance have all gone up , so I wondered how they continued to be profitable. Talking with the officers on board, they've admitted that the Surf is a money maker, and that the Star and Spirit are questionable. Yet, they continue to make upgrades/ improvements on the ships all the time. Maybe revising the tipping policy is one way they're dealing with cost increases, and hopefully may still continue to hire what is undoubtedly the best crew on the oceans today. There were only 5 ships of this type built and as far as I know, there are no plans to build more. At some point, they will have to retire these ships, and if a few extra bucks helps to prolong their life, AND still provide the quality we've all come to appreciate, then I'm for it.

I know that during every cruise, the host or hostess attempts to try and decipher the "no tipping required" policy during one of the evening cocktail hours. I've seen many posts on this board to the effect that, "we gladly provide gratuities to compensate for the quality of service we've received". For Windstar to make a 180 degree shift in this policy, the % of people who don't tip might be outweighing those that do.

One of the other things that makes Windstar unique is their theme of "Casual Elegance". One reason that I so love these ships, is that I don't have to wear a suit and tie or a tuxedo to dinner. I would hate to see Windstar do a 180 on this policy.

Hi Duct Tape,

My points are mostly economic. Though I don't have any hard facts, it seems that Windstar has not increased prices since we discovered the line in 1998 or 1999. Yet, food, fuel, wages, and maintenance have all gone up , so I wondered how they continued to be profitable. Talking with the officers on board, they've admitted that the Surf is a money maker, and that the Star and Spirit are questionable. Yet, they continue to make upgrades/ improvements on the ships all the time. Maybe revising the tipping policy is one way they're dealing with cost increases, and hopefully may still continue to hire what is undoubtedly the best crew on the oceans today. There were only 5 ships of this type built and as far as I know, there are no plans to build more. At some point, they will have to retire these ships, and if a few extra bucks helps to prolong their life, AND still provide the quality we've all come to appreciate, then I'm for it.

I know that during every cruise, the host or hostess attempts to try and decipher the "no tipping required" policy during one of the evening cocktail hours. I've seen many posts on this board to the effect that, "we gladly provide gratuities to compensate for the quality of service we've received". For Windstar to make a 180 degree shift in this policy, the % of people who don't tip might be outweighing those that do.

One of the other things that makes Windstar unique is their theme of "Casual Elegance". One reason that I so love these ships, is that I don't have to wear a suit and tie or a tuxedo to dinner. I would hate to see Windstar do a 180 on this policy.

:) Well said. Thanks for putting this in perspective. It sounds like all of us love the Windstar experience and a very large part of that experience is the incrediable service on board, if charging the passengers a daily amount for gratuities is necessary then "let's do it"! Hopefully on these boards we can come up with ideas that those who wish can show additional appreciation to crew members we found to be special to our cruise. So keep the ideas coming!!!

Hi Duct Tape,

My points are mostly economic. Though I don't have any hard facts, it seems that Windstar has not increased prices since we discovered the line in 1998 or 1999. Yet, food, fuel, wages, and maintenance have all gone up , so I wondered how they continued to be profitable. Talking with the officers on board, they've admitted that the Surf is a money maker, and that the Star and Spirit are questionable. Yet, they continue to make upgrades/ improvements on the ships all the time. Maybe revising the tipping policy is one way they're dealing with cost increases, and hopefully may still continue to hire what is undoubtedly the best crew on the oceans today.

./QUOTE]

I have to disagree on the price increases. When my wife and I first started sailing Windstar, the discounts that they were providing were much more significant than the Foremast Club discounts that are now offered.

To help keep Windstar separated for the "mass marketed" ships, they should go to a "no tipping" policy and just include the tip as apart of the base cruise fare.

Just another angle on the tipping issue.

First, if the winstar service staff is not the best, they are among the best in the business.

Now that I said that, in my opinion as soon as staff gets an automatic

gratuity, be it in a restaurant adding a service charge, a country club adding service charge to food or drink orders, or a cruise line adding

xx amount per day per passenger, some but not all will take advantage of theautomatic tip and maybe slack a bit.

I don't know how Windstar will handle doling out the automatic tip??(does everyone get the same or based on the comment cards do some get more than others??)

If all get the same, some problems will surface with service because i personally don't think a lot of passengers will feel the need to tip if they are already paying an automatic tip.

My take on this is the line should raise their rates where they need to be,

Pay their staff based on their service quality and ratings and

still keep a "no tipping required" policy, and most passengers will find a way to continue to tip the staff as in the past. Kind of like the old saying if its not broken, don't try to fix it.

When we were aboard even on our not so great past trip in Jan 06,

we still tipped the staff that took such good care of us.

I don't know how Windstar will handle doling out the automatic tip??(does everyone get the same or based on the comment cards do some get more than others??)

If all get the same, some problems will surface with service because i personally don't think a lot of passengers will feel the need to tip if they are already paying an automatic tip.

I agree completely. Why would most people pay a second tip when one is already charged? It seems like Windstar is taking a large step backwards with this policy.

The other day, I sent the following note to Windstar on this issue:

"On the Cruise Critic forum site, someone has said that Windstar has changed their policy toward tipping. The cruise member has stated that:

"Just got my cruise docs for a Nov. 4 cruise on Wind Spirit and imagine my surprise when I read the letter from the president of Windstar explaining a $11/day/guest "hotel service fee" to provide gratuities for the staff. Yes, you can adjust this amount or have it deleted from your bill, but this doesn't sound like the "no tipping policy" claimed on all their material. In addition, any staff member who receives an individual tip must turn it into a 'pool' to be shared by all staff members.

I don't mind tipping for good service, but I do mind a "bait & switch" policy. This will be my first time on Windstar (but my 7th cruise) and I'm hoping there are no other unpleasant surprises. My best experiences so far have been on Crystal."

On the Windstar web site, it still states that Windstar sails under the "no tipping required" policy.

We have sailed on Windstar 4 times (and are booked on our 5th cruise) and have enjoyed the "no tipping required policy". We were able to tip the personnel that provided the service to us. Specifically, we were able to tip the cabin steward in accordance with the level of service that we received. We recognize that dining staff did pool tips but we did provide the tip to our "normal" waiter so that he did know that we appreciated his service.

We prefer the "no tipping required" policy in that it allows us to reward those that provide the quality of service that we have come to expect.

Please let us know what the "new" policy is."

I have not heard a response from them yet. Wondering if I will.

Hi,

I started this thread, and have emailed Windstar twice, but have yet to hear from them. They have not made any changes to the website either:(. We board the Wind Spirit this weekend and are expecting to have a wonderful time based on all we heard from other cruisers. It's just disappointing that the corporate level is so tone deaf to their customers.

Wavey Girl

Today I received the following response from Windstar:

We are changing our policy. Our crew works very hard to make sure that every aspect of your cruise meets the highest standards. This includes those crewmembers who serve you directly, such as wait staff, beverage servers and the stewards who service your stateroom each day. There are also many others who support their efforts whom you may never meet, such as galley and laundry staff. To ensure that the efforts of all of our crewmembers are recognized and rewarded, a Hotel Service Charge of $11 per passenger is automatically added to each guest’s shipboard account on a daily basis. If our service exceeds or fails to meet your expectations, you are free to adjust this amount at the end of the cruise. In addition, a 15% Beverage Service Charge is automatically added to bar charges and dining room wine purchases. These charges are paid entirely to Windstar crewmembers, and represent an important part of their compensation.

In terminals, airports, ports of call and on shore excursions, we suggest that you extend gratuities consistent with customary local practices.

Implementation of this policy takes place on the Wind Spirit and Wind Star December 9, 2006 and the Wind Surf December 16, 2006.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Kind regards,

Alicia

Sounds like a good idea to me. It saves passengers from having to figure out who should be tipped or not tipped, which gets complicated on ships that have open-seating policies in their restaurants. Also, the idea of adding an "opt-out" gratuity or service charge isn't new: Renaissance used to do the same thing, partly because of the open-seating policy.

Sounds like a good idea to me. It saves passengers from having to figure out who should be tipped or not tipped, which gets complicated on ships that have open-seating policies in their restaurants. Also, the idea of adding an "opt-out" gratuity or service charge isn't new: Renaissance used to do the same thing, partly because of the open-seating policy.

I disagree completely. Because of the open seating, the tips for the dining staff have always been pooled. This eliminates the issue that you state.

The office of the President of Windstar (S. Kruse) also sent me the following statement:

Thank you for the email regarding our tipping policy on board our fleet. We truly appreciate hearing from you.

For many years we sailed under a “tipping not required” policy. In recognition of the fact that most of our guests do extend gratuities to recognize the exceptional service delivered by our crew, Windstar is revising this policy to provide guidance on tipping. At this time, this has not yet been officially announced, though we are happy to provide you with some information on this change.

Windstar Cruises will begin automatically adding a hotel service charge of $11 per guest, per day, including children, for dining and stateroom service to each shipboard account. Additionally, a 15% service charge will be automatically added to bar and beverage purchases. Guests will no longer need to carry cash and seek out individual crew members for tipping at the end of their cruise.

All proceeds are paid to the crew, not to Windstar Cruises. Guests wishing to make adjustments to the hotel service charge may easily do so at the end of the cruise by visiting the Reception Desk.

This change will take effect beginning with the following sailings:

Wind Surf December 16, 2006

Wind Star December 9, 2006

Wind Spirit December 2, 2006

We will soon begin informing our guests, past, present and future, about this new information in several ways. Details will appear in our “Setting Sail” pamphlet included in each documents pouch. This information will also be in embarkation materials, the shipboard Daily Program and on each guest’s statement at the end of the cruise. A notice of the bar service charge will be printed on all bar checks and menus.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with your comments. We hope you find this information helpful, and that we will have more opportunities in the future to welcome you aboard.

Best wishes,

Josephine McCulley

Special Advisor

Office of the President

I do not believe that a policy of adding an automatic tip to the bill and forcing a patron to actively remove the tip is "guidance". Windstar has always provided envelopes and guidance for tipping during the cruise. Also, if it has not been "offically" announced, why has it been included in some of the cruise documents?

Windstar (HAL) should, if necessary, increase the price of the cruise to adequately compensate the staff and keep the "no tipping required" policy. Pay the kitchen / laundry and other staff (in other words all staff) a reasonable compensation and let the passengers provide extra compensation for extra service.

I also disagree with implementing this change after people have booked their reservations is not proper.

To me, this move by Windstar is a move toward mediocrity - just like most of the mass marketed lines - including HAL and Celebrity.

If anyone wishes to send HAL an email. The "code" for their email system seems to be first initial last name@hollandamerica.com

Just my opinion.

Yes they have changed their website.

Some things just don't make sense. I agree with Love cruising too about the impact of this change. According to the response Windstar provided, the $11/day will be paid to the crew, even those we don't see. Chances are it will change the level of service by those who are used to providing exceptional service in hopes of a gratuity at weeks end.

I'd have preferred that they raise the cruise rates and leave the "tipping not required policy" as it was.

The response also states that "most" passengers choose to tip. If that were the case, why the change???

Yes they have changed their website.

Some things just don't make sense. I agree with Love cruising too about the impact of this change. According to the response Windstar provided, the $11/day will be paid to the crew, even those we don't see. Chances are it will change the level of service by those who are used to providing exceptional service in hopes of a gratuity at weeks end.

I'd have preferred that they raise the cruise rates and leave the "tipping not required policy" as it was.

The response also states that "most" passengers choose to tip. If that were the case, why the change???

I would hope that everyone would write to the Presidents office and express our feelings. It is the only way to be heard. As I stated, the code for the Windstar email system is first initial last name at hollandamerica.com

I'm guessing that many folks opted not to tip and staff were losing out. While most of us are quick to reward good service, I think we've all encountered a few folks in our travels who are the exception. You know the type: run up a huge bar bill / gamble away, then don't show up in the dining room the last night so they don't have to tip. We saw them frequently on Princess. Although Windstar advertised a no tipping required policy, I'm sure the staff needed tips to receive a good wage. And I'd bet that upgrademe is right on target. This would not have been needed if most passengers really did tip.

We're sailing December 16th so the new policy will be in place. I'm fine with it, although like several other posters, I do hope it will not lead to a decrease in service.

But Kat, I don't understand your reasoning. If you are sailing on a Tipping Not Required/Expected ship, and chose not to tip, then who is to blame?? I think ambiguity is a big problem in these cases. And with open seating, who do give you envelope to on the last night?? I believe in tipping but I don't think I can be faulted for not being able to figure out what is expected if it is not clear.

Archived