Last Minute Cruise Discounts

renroc13

We have never been able to book a cruise last minute and I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a site that actually sells last minute cruises at a discount. The sites that I have seen thus far all have the same price even though they advertise "reduced rates". Is there a last minute clearing house say 1-4 weeks prior to sailing.

Since we always have to travel in "High Season" and pay high prices I would like to take advantage of something last minute this year if there is such an animal.

Thank You

Sue

First, rules of the board are that we cannot recommend agencies, so don't look for specific names in this answer. Sorry.

That said, all travel agencies generally have access to the same pricing, including any large reductions in the last few weeks. But some are more high volume discounters than others. There are several large, discount agencies which advertise here on CC. Get on their mailing lists. Get familiar with what 'standard' pricing is for the cruise itineraries, ships and categories you are interested in.

First price reductions will come before final payment due date if a particular sailing is selling at a lower than expected volume. Rates will continue to drop until the bookings pick up. Then you might see some additional discounts after final payment. Sometimes the really great prices are about 4-6 weeks prior to sailing. Its not always the lowest price the closer you get to the sailing; so you really do have to learn to recognize the big reductions. Going in the off season can result in some good values, especially in closeout bookings. There are some really nice prices this week for November and early December. Like 10 and 11 night cruises on HAL for 699/799 pp inside. Or 7 or 8 night Carnival cruises to Mexico for 399 inside or 549 balcony. Good luck hunting.

Thank you I was more or less looking for "how" it works than a specific agency. I realize the boards are not set up for finding the best deals. Sorry if my post was written that way. We travel extensively and I know how to work the systems for hotels and flights but we always end up paying the highest price for cruises. Mainly because of the limited time we have to sail.

Thanks Again.

Seen a lot of LOW prices lately, even $299, 7 days! Many ship's lower their price after the 60-75 day cancel & get all your money back period to fill the ship! Last Nov. we paid $479, 7 days and thought that was good. We paid $850, 11 days, New Years on NCL. Last Feb. on a Tuesday, Costa had $299, 7 days leaving Sunday. When our agent called to book, they gave us a balcony cabin, pool deck! All the cabins for that price were gone later that day. In March we went on Carnival, 7 day, $399 again pool deck. This August we booked 10 days, Sun Princess for $499, cabin on pool deck. It was just after the 75 day point and we leave Tuesday

Check cruise line's sites but also the bigger on line companies many of whom advertise here. Check OFTEN - not only once a week and you'll find them.

I was talking to my TA when making final payment, and she said that she was amazed by the people trying to book last minute cruises and them not realizing that the $ you save there will just go to your last minute flight. It's not too often that you can get cheap airfare last minute. So do a lot of home work, and if you live in a port city, go get all the deals you can.

You are correct flights can kill you last minute. I usually have flights and a back up plan if I am looking for a last minute deal. Thanks for all the info. As I said I am not as savy with my cruises as I am with other types of travel. I do however have a good agent for cruises that honors when the price drops. To me that is a fine gem.

Sue

Archived