ROLL CALL: 2/25/07 Caribbean Princess

MattInFLL

PS. Elena at the Crooner's bar makes the meanest Chairman of the Board martini. I'll write a full report to post shortly regarding all the little things.

Schusize- Please do share your full review! It would be great to read before the trip! :D

Also, what is a "Chairman of the Board" martini? Please do tell! Sounds delicious! I love vodka in general so any martini sounds good! ;-)

Ron - since Steiner runs almost all the ship spas, and designs them, too - I am sure your Rasul experience is close to the one that should be on CB. I say *should* because the general tenor of the Princess board people is that CB's particular spa has had its issues... probably just a bad run with a manager, and hopefully he/she has cycled out by now. We'll take a look on Sunday and see. Our appointment is not until Tuesday, so we'll have time to think and/or cancel.

As for boarding - I wish I could be one of those who strolls on at 2. Seriously, if you hate crowds, starting at about 1:30 you can show up and be on in under 20 minutes or so. I'm just the impatient cruiser. Port officials and Princess try to do everything in their power to discourage you from arriving before 1, so they can cycle out everyone getting off the ships. The only thing I have ever heard regarding CB is that once the "waiting area" inside the terminal is full, then you have to wait outside until boarding begins. Usually this happens between 11:15 and 11:30 (the waiting area filling up). If you show up before then, you can get yourself processed and then just have a seat and wait for the ship to begin boarding (usually around noon). Once the area is full, you are outside, and waiting to be let in to be processed and then board. So either get there early, or get their later - the "worst" time to arrive would be around noon. And as someone said in an earlier post - due to the vagaries of what may be happening any particular day, this info could be all wrong if the ship is delayed clearing customs, or there is a security issue, or whatever. Once, in Vancouver, we were in limbo for 2 hours becuse the immigration computers went down and they couldn't figure out how to do a reset.

I can't wait to meet you all!

Chairman of the Board Martini (Frank Sinatra favorite):

1 shot vodka

1 shot gin

Elena at Crooner's adds Cointreau

Delicious...hick up...

PS. Watch out, one of the assistant cruise directors is looking for love. He tried to tickle the fancy of one of our group members but our group mate claims to have sent the assistant back to, "umpa lumpa land."

Atlanta Sailor here-(Jeff). Just wanted to thank Tim and Rick for the cruise directory as well. Wish I could manage my time as well as y'all. A special hey to Jim and Terry in Miami--can't wait to see you guys again as well as meet all from the board. Safe travels to FTL. "A little too much fun is just about enough."

I sent in a slightly straight review of last weeks cruise to be reviewed before being posted but basically, here are the finer points.

Embarkation was easy. Showed up approximately 10:30 because the Marriott Beach Towers throws you out by 10AM. We waited outside for 15 minutes and were then allowed to enter the security area. We carried on several bottles of champagne and wine. Princess allows this without question. I'm guessing we could have lugged on full bottles of other liquor and would have had no problems. Only in the ports did I see crew members taking the hard stuff away.

As for embarkation, once you go thru security, you are given a boarding number. CAUTION: remember to take care of any bathroom business prior to entering the security area. The only bathroom available is outside and if you have to use it, you have to go through security again. Prior to entering the security area, you will be given a form to complete regarding illness within 2 days of the cruise. You have to complete it and turn it in.

After waiting until 12P, our number was called. We were on the ship within 15 minutes. Make sure all your paperwork is complete before walking up to the check in attendants.

There are some stunning crew members to look at. One of the assistant cruise directors was after a member of our party but was told to go away! I don’t have to tell you his name, you will see him at every event. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the crew had to watch a DVD about next weeks cruise. I would have killed to see it.

The crew was fantastic. Never did I see an unhappy looking employee. Princess knows how to train their employees. Service was excellent.

The food was okay to good. We used the anytime dinning and had no problem getting tables from 2 to 12. No waiting when we went. If you don’t want to go to the dinning room, Café Carib buffet was very good. Went to Sterlings and had a fantastic filet. It’s $15 and worth it. I did not hit Sabatini’s but it smelled wonderful when walking by.

Our group’s cabins ranged from inside, outside, mini-suites to a full suite. I had a full suite on the Riviera Deck (R415). Loved the suite and our cabin steward but, the noise level from above would sometimes get very irritating. Scoops was directly above and the cabins on either side of us also mentioned that the scooting of chairs and tables along with very large people got to be so loud at times I had to use ear pugs to sleep. The balcony is huge and since you can order the entire menu in a full suite, we used it for several meals.

Princess Cays is very nice. Its larger than the last time I visited. Hopefully it won’t be littered with condom rappers after next Friday. Without question, if you walk to the right for a short distance, there are “areas.” But, sand fleas might become a pain and no one wants to be bitten down there. One of our group mates rented one of the Beach Huts. They loved it. It will accommodate 6. TV and AC (although AC wasn’t needed) and all the food delivered by your cabin boy. They have 3 BBQ areas so the lines for food was short. Same thing for the bars. Princess makes sure there are enough servers so you won’t need to get out of your lounge chair.

St. Thomas is…well St. Thomas. If you like to shop, its all there. If you like to see a beach, get in a cab and go. If you like to see a really nice beach, head over to St. John by ferry. The ship parks at Crown Bay now so getting to town is a $4 cab ride. The new dock in some ways was nicer because only 2 ships can park in there and the day we were there, it was only us. So it was easy to get off the ship, grab a cab and head to town. There is a small water taxi at Crown that will take you to Water Island if you want to get away from the crowd. It takes only 15 minutes or so.

As for St. Martin, much better shopping and the downtown area is so much nicer than St. Thomas. I liked the people there better also. Some party members went to Orient Beach and liked looking at the ugly nudists. Some did the around the island tour. All enjoyed it.

The days at see are filled with contests, shows, bands, you name it. Something is always going on. I’m guessing they will not have a need for a GLBT meeting on your cruise!

All in all, Caribbean Princess, the embarkation staff, the crew members all made last weeks cruise a success. My only complaint was the noise on Riviera Deck and to be honest, the mixed bar drinks are weak. I love Margaritas but everyone of them are just sugar mixes. I tried other drinks and found them the same. I would have to order extra shots (doubling the cost) to be poured into the drink to make it “normal.” I would suggest bringing a flask of your favorite beverage to make those drinks sing.

You guys will have a great time!

Tim,

It's fantastic! :) :D :) Kudos, very well done! Thanks for your trouble.

Walter

I just shipped out the new version of the directory. Hopefully in better shape and reaching the desired audience.

Let me know if I should make any changes.

Schusize (love that name!): Thanks so much for the great review...makes me even more excited.

Kent & Andy,

I remember now that you had mentioned about going on the 8:15 Catamaran. Hope you can still make it...how is Andy's knee coming along? We will all give him TLC

I'm so happy to see 47 pages of proof that I'm not the only obsessive person on this cruise! ;)

Thanks to everyone for all the great info - especially those who also got lost in rsvp.net vs. rsvpvacations.com information black-out.

We'll see you all at George's, Cubby, the day of the cruise, and also on the Champagne cruise. Don't be shy - we're not! I'm signed up for my spray-tan before we board, so the only taboo subject will be my orange-ish color. It's the only way this red-head (when I had hair) gets a tan, so give me a break.

Cheers!

Kevin (and Scott)

Tim,

In your thumbnail avatar picture one can see something draped over your and Rick's necks, wasn't quite sure what it was. In your fabulous directory it was fun to see that it was in fact a very large snake! And an iguana! And a blue and gold macaw! And a white shell? No, it's a bird! Great picture! Captures quite a moment. Wonder if the animals were hungrily eying each other.

Walter

We'll see you all at George's, Cubby, the day of the cruise, and also on the Champagne cruise. Don't be shy - we're not! Cheers!

Kevin (and Scott)

Welcome Kevin and Scott,

Glad you found our message board, and now we are up to 17 members on the 8:15 Champagne Catamaran cruise. It should be a very entertaining adventure!

We had signed up for the 8:15 catamaran way back when. Hope you guys don't mind.

If you would prefer all guys, it is absolutely fine with us. Please let us know. We've been eyeing some jewelry stores in St. John anyway.

Janet & Maria!

Bob & I are thrilled that you are going on the Catamaran cruise! I know you had mentioned the possibility, but I didn't know for sure that you had signed up. That is great...looking forward to meeting you! That makes 19 of us...fantastic! Any more? (I wonder how many the catamaran holds).

We are gonna rock the boat (so to speak!). :)

Janet and Maria,

We're excited you are going with us on the champagne/catmaran cruise! We look forward to hanging out with you again. It sounds a little more relaxing than ziplining through the jungles but just as much fun! cya soon!

Mark and Donny

Schusize - thank you for the excellent review and heads up about the little things. I see Princess is still not pouring a strong drink...I hope we can find a good bartender who responds to tips. I had no luck with that on Diamond Princess in 2004. A Princess board poster swears by the crew at the Outrigger Bar. Did you try "ulitmate balcony dining" by any chance?

I went to the tanning booth today to try and lay a base coat. I think I went a couple of minutes too long. I have fair skin so I have to lay the base coat or I just burn to a crisp in the Caribbean sun... but in school tonight people thought I had turned radioactive and I'm feeling a bit of a sting.:(

Woodsman - I hope you can make it to our cruise critic "official" gathering on Monday at 1:30 in Crooner's Bar off the main atrium.

You could put your glow to good use and get a Radioactive Man superhero costume!

http://www.costumehub.com/product.aspx?i=24850&c=120&pp=24&sb=p.sortcode&p=0&s=simpsons&sw=3&cb=&g=

I went to the tanning booth today to try and lay a base coat. I think I went a couple of minutes too long. I have fair skin so I have to lay the base coat or I just burn to a crisp in the Caribbean sun... but in school tonight people thought I had turned radioactive and I'm feeling a bit of a sting.:(

We had signed up for the 8:15 catamaran way back when. Hope you guys don't mind.

If you would prefer all guys, it is absolutely fine with us. Please let us know. We've been eyeing some jewelry stores in St. John anyway.

Don't even think of canceling on us now. Of course the two of you are welcome. I am looking forward to this excursion more and more with the knowledge that so many from this board will participating.

See you soon.

Christopher

Loved your picture on Tim's collection.......Fab-u-lous photo ladies.

You better get on the catamaran.......we need some class on this excursion ya know.

Looking forward to meeting you.

For everyone else...posting by Woodsman (Kevin and Scott).....these two guys are really nice, so make sure you meet them!

.......I fly out tomorrow.......maybe tomorrow night a visit to Georges Alibi to harass Greg.........Off to work

Tom aka Bertha

I finally had an e-mail from RSVP this am... Have been booked for quite awhile and still haven't gotten the paper work for the trip, and I'm in Wilton Manors, guess I'll get it on boarding...:)

Looking forward to meeting everyone ! Bill

===========================

Here's the letter:

Get ready, your Caribbean Fantasy starts in less than one week! RSVP Vacations is pleased to welcome you aboard our biggest, hottest cruise ever. We depart Fort Lauderdale on Sunday, February 25th aboard the flagship Caribbean Princess – the biggest and most luxurious leader of the Princess fleet. Get your costumes packed, dust off the sun screen, find that good book you’ve been waiting to read and get ready to escape the winter cold. Please take a moment to read the following important updates and details about the cruise. We look forward to welcoming you aboard!

Your friendly RSVP Vacations crew.

Questions You May Have About Embarkation

Q1 If you booked in the last 2 weeks, when will you get your paperwork and boarding pass?

A1. There is no guarantee of getting paperwork in the mail if the cruise was booked in the last two weeks.

Q2. What if you do not get your paperwork and boarding pass before you have to leave for FLL?

A2. Call RSVP and we will get you a Princess Booking # and a copy of your RSVP invoice showing proof of purchase and cabin assignment. You will then need to register at the port on embarkation date or call Princess at 800-815-9288 to pre-register over the phone.

Q3. Who should you call with questions?

A3. Call RSVP at 800-328-7787 9AM-6PM weekdays and one of our customer service representatives will assist you.

Q4. If you do not have your boarding pass the day of embarkation, where do you go to check in and what materials do you need to prove you have a reservation?

A4. If you do not have your boarding pass, make sure you have a copy of your RSVP invoice and Princess Booking number which you need to acquire by calling RSVP at 800-328-7787. RSVP representatives and Princess Representatives will be on hand at the port to assist you and to make sure you get the appropriate forms to fill out. Please make sure you bring proper identification with you to the port. This would be either a passport or a certified copy of your Birth Certificate and a valid government issued id.

Q5. What is our departure dock number?

A5. Pier 2 What is the cruise #? B709

Q6. What is the Princess customer service 800#?

A6. 800-815-9288 for our charter, 800-PRINCESS for general Princess information

Q7. Who is the RSVP designated point person to handle any passenger reservation problems at the pier? Their cell phone #, hotel location in Fort Lauderdale?

A7. Jeff Gundvaldson 612-987-4890; Jeff will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express at 1500 SE 17th St Causeway in FLL.

Q8. Will we have an information desk set up at the Holiday Inn Express or the Sheraton to handle these kinds of issues?

A8. In the future RSVP will have information desks at the host hotels. But for this departure, please call Jeff Gundvaldson on his cell phone 612-987-4890 and he can assist you.

Embarkation Information

Your cruise will depart from Port Everglades, Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Pier 2, cruise # B709

If you're interested in parking arrangements the closest location for parking is the Midpoint Parking Garage. For more port information go to: www.porteverglades.org

Parties and Events

Before we set sail, come be part of the pre-cruise festivities at George’s Alibi, http://georgiesalibi.com/wilton.htm . Here you can meet your new travel buddies or get a jump on other agenda items…It’s going to be a HUGE PARTY so bring your passport to receive drink specials. The Right Place, The Right Time – The Alibi.

Once you step on board, get ready to party. RSVP has a boatload of hot parties planned for your Caribbean Fantasy: tea dances, theme parties, hot Caribbean after hours parties, stage productions, cabaret, piano bars, pool games, singles mixers and a special gathering for our girlfriends on board. Here is just a sample of the parties we will have for you on the Caribbean Princess.

Superhero Costume Party

Come dressed as your favorite super hero or even super villain. The eye candy alone will be worth the price of admission.

Red, Hot and You... Red Party

Red is the new White - heat up the tropical night with the hottest music and the even hotter passengers all in RED.

Under Construction Leather Party

Got a "tool man" fantasy? Just imagine 3000 passengers wearing every kind of construction worker outfit under the tropical stars.

Movies Under the Stars Pajama Party

Yes, we said PJ's. Or whatever you wear to bed. The Caribbean Princess giant movie screen - outside on Deck 16 - is the perfect foil for this fabulous party.

Ripped and Stripped Underwear Party

An RSVP Vacations underwear party is always one of the best parties of the cruise. Ships. Sailors. Skivvies and Warm Salty Air.

Trashy Tourist T-Dance

Just imagine the passengers on that “other” ship – lined up at the buffet, lying by the pool, working the slot machines…

“Ballz!” T-Dance

Have a ball at this fun deck party – have you got the “ballz?”

Special Winter Party discounts for RSVP Vacations guests!

When the cruise ends, the fun doesn’t have to. Join your fellow RSVP guests at the world famous Winter Party Beach Party in Miami on Sunday the 4th. RSVP guests get a special discount for this amazing annual gathering of gay men and lesbians from around the world. Simply go to http://www.winterparty.org/tickets/ and at the “check out” mode, enter special promotional code: RSVP0307. This will get you the per person $15 discount on either the Beach Party ($85) or VIP Beach Party tickets ($125). RSVP guests can also bring their RSVP/Princess boarding pass to the beach party to redeem this discount; however we recommend you buy online to assure availability.

Entertainers

If you haven’t been on our website lately take a moment to visit us and check out the great lineup of entertainers we will have on board. You know this is going to be a great time with entertainers like recording artist and American Idol finalist Kimberley Locke, recording artist Kristine W, Grammy Award winner Thelma Houston, pop singer and songwriter Levi Kreis, impersonators Mark Alan Smith and Michael Holmes, special guest and American Idol finalist RJ Helton, comedy ensemble GayCo, comedian Jason Dudey, of course Amy and Freddy and much more. Spinning our parties and after hours events is RSVP’s line up of the circuit’s hottest DJ’s including Manny Lehman, Dan De Leon, Kimberly S, Wendy Hunt, Robbie Leslie and more!

To view the daily schedule of everything that we will be offering you on board, go to: http://www.rsvpvacations.com/images/2007_Caribbean_Princess_Daily_Schedule.pdf

Don’t Forget YOUR BOARDING PASS AND ID

Please remember to bring your boarding pass along with valid and current identification with you to the port. If you have booked recently and have not received your pre-cruise package from Princess, please call RSVP at 800.328.7787 to obtain your Princess booking number so that you can register on line at www.princess.com and print your boarding pass. It is your responsibility to ensure that your cruise booking is complete and that you have the required travel documents and identification. RSVP assumes no responsibility for failure to comply with these requirements. Although a passport is not required for this cruise you must have a certified copy of your birth certificate and a valid form of id such as a driver’s license. If you do not bring these items with you to the port you will be denied boarding and will not be eligible for any refund of monies paid to RSVP Vacations.

And the Winner is…..YOU!

WIN A ‘WALK-ON’ Role in the next FUNNY BOY FILMS production of DEL SHORES’ award winning SOUTHERN BAPTIST SISSIES which begins shooting in Los Angeles in April 2007.

Join us February 25th as the Academy awards its honorees (Check your schedule for screening locations.) The person who picks the most winners in all categories will win a trip to Hollywood and a ‘walk-on’ part in the movie.

ENTRY DEADLINE – 8pm Sunday on board – see back of ballot for details. VOTE IN ALL CATEGORIES

We will have ballots on board at the RSVP desk. You can pickup and drop off ballots at the following locations.

RSVP Desk – Deck 5 – Mid-Ship – 5pm – 8pm

Explorers Lounge – Deck 7 - 7:15pm – 8pm

Club Fusion – Deck 7 – 7:15pm – 8pm Sunday

Go to our website at www.rsvpvacations.com to get all the details about everything you need to know for this amazing fantasy cruise.

Archived