Karmel Shuttle for pickup at LAX?

elena7seas

I have read several good comments about Karmel Shuttle, for pickup from LAX...delivery to Long Beach, CA.

Can anyone who has used them let me know how they worked out for you? Anything special I should know before booking with Karmel?

We are arriving at LAX at 3:00 p.m. on the Friday of a three-day weekend. How long would I expect it to take to go from LAX to Long Beach.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I've never done the route myself for a cruise, but as a LA resident, I always use SuperShuttle (has the biggest presence in LA). No reservations needed (or accepted); just walk out to the curb and have the agent there call the shuttle in for you.

Probably 30-45 minutes assuming everything goes well?

What about the other way - for instance we get off at LA and want to go to a hotel on Ventura Boulevard. Do we have to book this, bear in mind we have no idea what time we will be gettnig off the ship since we are not flying home that day but the following day?

If we get X to book our Hotel which has to be one of their chosen ones, then the transport is free but the only hotels they are offering is in Long Beach and we dont want to stay there.

SuperShuttle only goes to airports... I'd venture to say that your best option would be to ask the hotel what their recommendations are. Taxis can be quite expensive (but it's extremely difficult to hail them from the street). The port might be a different story tho....

SuperShuttle only goes to airports... I'd venture to say that your best option would be to ask the hotel what their recommendations are. Taxis can be quite expensive (but it's extremely difficult to hail them from the street). The port might be a different story tho....

We use SuperShuttle often. They go to the pier, private homes, condos, hotels, etc. They do ask for a reservation if you are being picked up at the pier. Can do it online. Arriving at the airport, you need to look for area of shared rides and then for SuperShuttle attendant. We'll use them soon for pickup from our home to San Pedro Pier and then two weeks later to go home from LAX.

I have read several good comments about Karmel Shuttle, for pickup from LAX...delivery to Long Beach, CA.

Can anyone who has used them let me know how they worked out for you? Anything special I should know before booking with Karmel?

We are arriving at LAX at 3:00 p.m. on the Friday of a three-day weekend. How long would I expect it to take to go from LAX to Long Beach.

We used Karmel this past spring when we flew into John Wayne Air Port. I booked over the internet via Karmels web site. No problems. You can save a few dollars by booking on line. What we liked about Karmel was once we got our luggage I called them and they were there within 10 minutes tops. Once we were picked up we left for Long Beach. No waiting for other flights, no waiting to leave at a specific time and no driving around the Air Port looking for other non scheduled passengers. We were the only two in the van. We would use them again in a heart beat. The return trip was just as efficient.

Did you book Karmel for exclusive service (just the two of you) or did you book for shared van service and they just had no other clients for that particular run?

Does Karmel pick you up in the same area as the rest of the shared-van rides?

Thanks to everyone that took the time to post.

If you are flying in the night before a cruise you might consider renting a car at LAX and droping in the Long Beach area. Some hotels offer a free shuttle to the Long Beach pier. Weekend car rental specials can be as low as $20 per day.

Did you book Karmel for exclusive service (just the two of you) or did you book for shared van service and they just had no other clients for that particular run?

Does Karmel pick you up in the same area as the rest of the shared-van rides?

Thanks to everyone that took the time to post.

We booked a Shared Van Service. I guess we got lucky not to have to share a ride. But howerver, they do claim on their web site and over the phone they don't wait around to fill the Van before departing the Airport or Cruise Terminal. We were picked up and dropped off at the same location used by others.

We just returned Saturday from a cruise leaving from the San Pedro port. We used Karmel from LAX to Long Beach Hotel - and to return from San Pedro Pier to LAX. They were magnificent! I decided to book them after reading good comments about their service on Cruise Critic board. We reserved in advance online - called them upon arrival at airport, after getting luggage, and they were there within minutes as promised and drove the two of us only (no others in van) promptly to our Long Beach hotel which we stayed at the night before the cruise(it was also a Friday during rush hour traffic...taking approx. 45 minutes) - Upon return of cruise ship, I called them when we received our luggage - and again - they arrived very promptly in marked shuttle and off we went (just the 2 of us in the van) to LAX (it was a Sat. - no traffic - took about 1/2 hour.) They charged us less than the cruise line transfers ... no riding around the airport or waiting at the cruise terminal looking to fill shuttle with customers (Super Shuttle and Prime Time Shuttle both do this) - They asked us what we were wearing so their driver could identify us - and they gave us a number to look for on their van - which has Karmel on it, in addition to the number. You pay by credit card upon arrival at your destination for each trip you take with them. We were most impressed with the great service given to us by Karmel and we will use them again. Do not hesitate to reserve with them - they were GREAT!

Should clarify: what I meant was one of your points in your trip has to be the airport for Supershuttle (eg LAX to hotel, LAX to port, port to LAX, or LGB to hotel, LGB to port, port to LGB, etc), but they don't do point-to-point stuff (eg port to hotel)....

I need your help and advice please fellow cruisers.

On reading this thread I e mailed the Karmel people asking about transport from San Pedro (presume that is where the X Summit disembarks) to a hotel in Studio City (Sportsmens Lodge) and was quoted $101 for the two of us.

Is this about right? Or is there a cheaper way to get from the port to Studio City? (without hassle)?

I know here in the UK for that price which is about £75 english pounds we would get about 100 mile journey give or take.

Or would we be better off trying to grab a taxi when we get off the ship?

I welcome your advice guys please.

$101 does seem high, but the issue in LA is not distance, but time, as traffic can be deadly. I'm sure the word gridlock was coined in LA!

Perhaps someone who travels in LA frequently can suggest a taxi service or limo service that will quote you a confirmed fare from San Pedro to your hotel. That way you won't be at the mercy of a ticking meter.

If you don't get a response here on the boards, the suggestion to contact your hotel is probably a good one.

Good luck!

We use SuperShuttle often. They go to the pier, private homes, condos, hotels, etc. They do ask for a reservation if you are being picked up at the pier. Can do it online. Arriving at the airport, you need to look for area of shared rides and then for SuperShuttle attendant. We'll use them soon for pickup from our home to San Pedro Pier and then two weeks later to go home from LAX.

So, if you arrive at the airport you can go to the agent and get Super Shuttle to take you to a hotel in San Pedro?

Archived