Copenhagen Port for Rotterdam/ Also Hotels

wandb

Could someone please tell me exactly where the dock is for cruise ships (we'll be on the Rotterdam) in Copenhagen. On maps, I see several ferry docks, but do not know where the cruise ships dock. Thanks!!

Any suggestions for a good hotel---safe area, not too expensive, clean?

(Before you all say "Go to the Baltic Ports board":), it is pretty slow over there compared to this thread!!):D

Could someone please tell me exactly where the dock is for cruise ships (we'll be on the Rotterdam) in Copenhagen. On maps, I see several ferry docks, but do not know where the cruise ships dock. Thanks!!

Any suggestions for a good hotel---safe area, not too expensive, clean?

(Before you all say "Go to the Baltic Ports board":), it is pretty slow over there compared to this thread!!):D

Unfortunately, the HAL dock is too far from "downtown" (about a 20 min cab ride IIRC) to appear on any map I could provide ... but if you have Google Earth, it is on Orientkaj at 55deg 44min 37sec N, 12deg 36min 03sec E! :D

We also stayed near Tivoli Gardens but I won't name the hotel because we thought it was "too expensive" for what we got. But then again, we thought all of Copenhagen was very expensive! :)

We stayed @ the Marriott.. got it on Priceline for $105.00 USD -- $135.00 USD with taxes.. & at The Square Copenhagen for 1,000 DKK (approx $200). I highly recommend both. Both are within walking distance to Tivoli, both are very nice hotels...

The Square included Breakfast & a half bottle of Champange.

The Marriott has a breakfast buffet for approximatley 150DKK. (approx $30)

Everything in Copenhagen is expensive. It is a beautiful city...

Unfortunately, the HAL dock is too far from "downtown" (about a 20 min cab ride IIRC) to appear on any map I could provide ... but if you have Google Earth, it is on Orientkaj at 55deg 42min 37sec N, 12deg 36min 03sec E!

Another correction: my DW reminded me today that it was the cab ride to the AIRPORT that was 20 minutes. The HAL pier is about 4 miles NNE from Tivoli Gardens. Sorry. :o

Last year in July we were staying in Copenhagen 3 nights at Marriott, before our cruise with MS Westerdam. We paid DKR (Denmark has still it's own currency - no EUR) 931 x 3 = circa USD 480. May be it was the senior rate without breakfast. It was a big room, waterview, with a king bed and 6 pillows on the bed (to compare: the HAL suite has only 5 pillows).

Expansiv? Yes, when I compare it to the Marriott Renaissance Hotel in Munic/Germany where we got this year 4 nights in a big suite including breakfast buffet, lounge access and charge free mini bar for the same money. But other international hotels in Copenhagen were more expansiv.

From the Marriott hotel it's a little walk to the central railway station (to the left) and the Tivoli (right side, but you have to go around for entrance). We went to the Tivoli once, I don't think it's worth the money but however it's a must. There is a Balkan-Restaurant (Bosnien-Hercegowina as part of former Yougoslavia) with a big buffet that we liked.

There was a flatrate for 2- or 3-day-tickets for sightseeing buses, which we used often. There are 3 or 4 routes, one stops next to Marriott. But one warning: The "springing" (right english word?) of the buses must be as damaged as in some New York taxis.

From the hotel to Westerdam we took a taxi to the port. We didn't know the port name but because there are only 2 ports, the taxidriver went first to the nearest one and than not far away to the second one. I don't remember the amount.

Coming back it was easier because every taxi driver knows the way to the central railway station. We took again the so called EuroCity between Copenhagen and Hamburg/Germany. The train runs into a ferry and you can leave the train and walk (also eat) on the ship. So it's also a possibility to stay overnight in Hamburg and go by train/ferry to Copenhagen in the morning.

Could someone please tell me exactly where the dock is for cruise ships (we'll be on the Rotterdam) in Copenhagen. On maps, I see several ferry docks, but do not know where the cruise ships dock.

Here is an interactive map of Copenhagen:

http://www.euroave.com/maps/00mapx.php?xcity=copenhagen

The HAL ships dock in the Orientbassinet in the upper right-hand area (click to zoom in and move around)

We stayed at SAS Radisson Royal across from Tivoli in June 2006 and it was $259 double with AAA/AARP discount. Took our young teenage group to Hard Rock Cafe across the street -- entrance to Tivoli -- and they loved it.

Many years ago we stayed at the very modest, clean, super buffet breakfast with danish rolls called the Mercure Copenhagen. It is only about 2 blocks from Tivoli and very comfortable -- small rooms -- quiet. It is not large and fills up fast as do all of the hotels -- there is a definite shortage of rooms in the area.

About 3 years ago we had to stay at another SAS Radisson that was about 1/2 hour taxi from city center and nothing available to see in the area. The rooms were tiny and not cheap. Would not recommend. The other hotels were full so had little choice.

KAYAK listings have many to look at in Copenhagen and a fast way to check them out. Good Luck

PS -- We made reservations several months ago for next June 2007 at the SAS across from Tivoli and they were starting to fill up.

Archived