Gluten Free?

Surfgirl

I'm thinking of booking the QVC trip on Opera with my mother. She has celiac sprue and cannot eat any wheat gluten. I'm wondering if they have any provisions to accomodate someone with that problem. We did very well on the Norwegian Line.

Thanks.

I'm thinking of booking the QVC trip on Opera with my mother. She has celiac sprue and cannot eat any wheat gluten. I'm wondering if they have any provisions to accomodate someone with that problem. We did very well on the Norwegian Line.

Thanks.

From what I have gleened from the boards, if and when (it should be when:D ) you make your reservation, you should discuss it with whoever does it so they can put it in your "file". There is a great guy that could help you in that regards, and if you want his name and number would be happy to give it to you. Then, when you go onboard you could confirm everything with the maitra de - Italians are all about food and people enjoying it so I am sure you would be satisfied.

jeri

From what I have gleened from the boards, if and when (it should be when:D ) you make your reservation, you should discuss it with whoever does it so they can put it in your "file". There is a great guy that could help you in that regards, and if you want his name and number would be happy to give it to you. Then, when you go onboard you could confirm everything with the maitra de - Italians are all about food and people enjoying it so I am sure you would be satisfied.

jeri

Thanks, Jeri!

I called the line today, and spoke to a very helpful person. He insists that gluten free won't be a problem. He is snail mailing us some sample menus.

I'm worried, because food is always such a big part of cruising and I keep reading on this board about all the breaded this and that, the pastas, pizzas and rissottas.. none of which she can have. She can't have any wheat product- flour-- etc.

It's always difficult when we travel. I just worry about the Italian Cuisine.

Still undecided about this trip! :)

Thanks, Jeri!

I called the line today, and spoke to a very helpful person. He insists that gluten free won't be a problem. He is snail mailing us some sample menus.

I'm worried, because food is always such a big part of cruising and I keep reading on this board about all the breaded this and that, the pastas, pizzas and rissottas.. none of which she can have. She can't have any wheat product- flour-- etc.

It's always difficult when we travel. I just worry about the Italian Cuisine.

Still undecided about this trip! :)

I am trying to loose weight and found the only one that really works is a low carb so am a bit nervous but after looking at some of the menu's on Lirica (another MSC ship) I am sure I will have no problem. Unlike your mom I am planning on one serving of pasta, pizza or rissotta a day. The stuff I can't eat is the leafy green veggies - my viens are allergic to my blood and Vitamin K really screws with my coumadin.:( The man you talked to - was it Henry? I think he has talked to just about everyone on this forum.

I really do hope you join us

jeri

not sure if this will help or not, but last year on Lirica there was always a risotto dish... risotto is rice (OK, now I'll show my "ignorance" is there gluten in rice?) so you Mom might be "ok" with that... they were always very nice and that way she won't feel "left out" when others enjoy their "pasta" course.

Good luck,

Carolyn

not sure if this will help or not, but last year on Lirica there was always a risotto dish... risotto is rice (OK, now I'll show my "ignorance" is there gluten in rice?) so you Mom might be "ok" with that... they were always very nice and that way she won't feel "left out" when others enjoy their "pasta" course.

Good luck,

Carolyn

Thanks, ah, but I wish it were so... but risotto is made of bulgar, which is cracked wheat.. a no no. I only know this because of my mom's dietary needs. :)

Do you know that she can't even have Tylenol because the pill is held together with wheat gluten? If you have celiac, you have to become a food detective. It sure isn't easy!

I thought couscous was bulgar... and risotto was medium grain size rice that's slow cooked with broth constantly added and stirred... (of course I could be wrong).

Since I also have food allergies/concerns I know you can't be "too careful" and trusting...

good luck and keep asking questions.

Carolyn

Thanks, ah, but I wish it were so... but risotto is made of bulgar, which is cracked wheat.. a no no. I only know this because of my mom's dietary needs. :)

Do you know that she can't even have Tylenol because the pill is held together with wheat gluten? If you have celiac, you have to become a food detective. It sure isn't easy!

Foods talk about the vitamins and stuff - but never the amount of Vitamin K. I wanted to loose weight and use low carb but had to plan my shopping list with the low carb list and a printout of foods high in Vitamin K. And forget about multi vitamins.

So, we going to see you in January?:D

I thought couscous was bulgar... and risotto was medium grain size rice that's slow cooked with broth constantly added and stirred... (of course I could be wrong).

Since I also have food allergies/concerns I know you can't be "too careful" and trusting...

good luck and keep asking questions.

Carolyn

Yes, the risotto is a rice dish. Preferably made with the short, thick grained Arborio rice......Darn, I'm getting hungry!

Yes, the risotto is a rice dish. Preferably made with the short, thick grained Arborio rice......Darn, I'm getting hungry!

I stand corrected. You're right, most risottos are made from rice. There are some that are made from wheat. I was thinking of these:

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Egg%20and%20beansprout%20risotto%20(bulgar%20wheat)

http://www.4thstreetfoodcoop.org/risotto.html

So, we're halfway there! Now I just need to make sure the sauce isn't made with flour!

My wife has celiac and we have cruised only twice. Both since this condition was discovered. Once with RCI and once with NCL. Both were excellent in dealing with the dietary needs. Actually, cruising has seemed to be the most relaxed way of dealing with these limits. While the staff is large, you are only dealing with one establishment and not a new restaurant each day.

I was happy to see that you've solved the risotto question. It makes a frequent appearance in our dinners. Plain rice can go only so far. Polenta is another good alternative that has been on our previous cruise menus. Its made from corn.

Good Luck with your cruise. We're booked on HAL to Alaska for July. We'll check out their gluten-free dining. What's a cruise without food?

Surfgirl More good news. After I told my wife about the Tylenol, she was in a bit of a panic. We did a web search. Tylenol uses corn and occassionally rice or potato starch. None of Tylenol's products contain gluten.

Thanks for the info.. I'll pass it on. My mom belongs to a celiac group, and they're always calling companies to search for hidden gluten in food. Tylenol was on the no-no list for many years. Great to hear that it is no OK. I'll pass it on to her so her group can update the list!

• 2 weeks later...

Yo-

My has Celiac disease - and we have cruised twice on MSC's 'Lirica' and they were wonderful in taking care of her dietary needs - as good or better than HAL, Carnival, Princess and NCL. Just be sure that your information has been sent by MSC to the ships Executive Chef - and all will be good-eh!

Happy cruisin'

Mike

• 1 year later...

It's good to hear about Celiac's getting the attention they need from the cruise lines.

FYI, gluten free isn't as much a diet as it a complete lifestyle change with regard to food. Too often people associate a diet as being optional. Like a peanut allergy, being gluten free isn't as much a choice as a requirement.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have recent experience with MSC gluten free? I'm worried about what my options will be. How can I get these menus sent to me? Risottos are made from rice, so should be okay, however the broth (if used) could contain gluten. Will they allow me to speak with the chef to check ingredients?

Archived