Eden Rock

packedandready

All of these were taken post-Ivan and include the Cali and Eden Rock areas. Forthose interested, lockers are also available at Abanks Dive @ Paradise Restaurant at Eden Rock. Eden Rock Dive is larger and more complete but about a block farther and the entrance is via a ladder as I recall. Next time I think I will pick up a map of the area at Eden Rock Dive, however.

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/gc_dec_2005.htm

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/valor_06/GC/gc_3.htm

Very nice pictures nolaAlive! Good color in the underwater shots!

We'll definitely try the Cali area next time as well as Eden Rock.

BTW - for those interested - one of the reasons we choose the Eden Rock dive center over the entry by the Paradise restaurant and Abanks (in pictures by nolaAlive above) is that we knew there was a fresh water shower by the dock as well as a tank for rinsing your gear off. Also a little less crowded on the day we were there since it is not a restaurant as well. But both are in the same area.

We just came back from the NOS on Dec. 2nd and we snorkeled at Abanks/Paradise. Didn't know until afterward there was another site just 60 seconds farther. We paid $12pp USD for equipment, $4 for a locker, $4 for fish food. So $32 all together. Just wondering how much it is at Eden Rock? I thought we got a good deal since the ship excursions per person were more than we paid in total and the # and types of fish we saw were amazing for novices like us!

We just came back from the NOS on Dec. 2nd and we snorkeled at Abanks/Paradise. Didn't know until afterward there was another site just 60 seconds farther. We paid $12pp USD for equipment' date=' $4 for a locker, $4 for fish food. So $32 all together. Just wondering how much it is at Eden Rock? I thought we got a good deal since the ship excursions per person were more than we paid in total and the # and types of fish we saw were amazing for novices like us![/quote']

I think the same at Eden Rock Dive. Maybe not so different. One difference is for snorkel vests. I believe Abanks wants $7 for just a snorkle vest rental and Eden Rock gets $5 I believe.

We just came back from the NOS on Dec. 2nd and we snorkeled at Abanks/Paradise. Didn't know until afterward there was another site just 60 seconds farther. We paid $12pp USD for equipment' date=' $4 for a locker, $4 for fish food. So $32 all together. Just wondering how much it is at Eden Rock? I thought we got a good deal since the ship excursions per person were more than we paid in total and the # and types of fish we saw were amazing for novices like us![/quote']

I think the same at Eden Rock Dive. Maybe not so different. One difference is for snorkel vests. I believe Abanks wants $7 for just a snorkle vest rental and Eden Rock gets $5 I believe.

We spent the entire day at Eden Rock!!!

Last week, we visited GC on the Miracle. Hubby, 9 y/o son and 10 y/o son and I rented a chair for $4 and snorkeled Eden Rock for the entire day. We had such a great time each time we went into the water, we would see something new.

My son actually found an old battered coin in the rocks, just at the entrance to Eden Rock. All that we can read off it is, "King George VI Grand Emperor of India."

I dove for sea glass and found a lot!

We would recommed it for anyone who's looking for a VERY cheap "excursion"!

We spent the entire day at Eden Rock!!!

Last week, we visited GC on the Miracle. Hubby, 9 y/o son and 10 y/o son and I rented a chair for $4 and snorkeled Eden Rock for the entire day. We had such a great time each time we went into the water, we would see something new.

My son actually found an old battered coin in the rocks, just at the entrance to Eden Rock. All that we can read off it is, "King George VI Grand Emperor of India."

I dove for sea glass and found a lot!

We would recommed it for anyone who's looking for a VERY cheap "excursion"!

Did you rent the chair at the entrance by the restaurant or down a little farther at the eden's rock dive shop?

We rented the chair on the little beach that's by the entrance. Throughout the day, my family would come out of the water and get something to drink or eat, then head back in.

(We smuggled out sandwiches, sodas and breakfast breads in a soft-cooler that you carry on your shoulder. Get your sandwiches the night before and put them in your fridge)

The chair rental would have been by the Paradise restuarant/Abanks operation. I did notice they has a small sandy beach area (although I think it was still seperated from the water by some large rocks) with some chairs on it.

I don't recall seeing any lounge chairs nor sandy area by the Eden Rock dive center, although they did have some picnic tables there to sit at when you're putting your gear on or off.

• 4 weeks later...

There are actually four places to snorkel within walking distance of the pier...though one is a fair walk. I found this website if anyone is interested, maps out and describes what you'll see at each of the four sites and has photos of where entrances are:

http://www.grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/grandcaymansnorkeling.htm

The cali may be broken up but by the looks of nolaAlive's pics, there is still PLENTY to see.

Just like Lsimon, I probably won't bother trying store possesions...plan to bring the ones I care about in the water with me. If someone takes my old towel, cheap backpack, and travel sized sunscreen...oh well. Looking into the "aquapac" for my camera.

Question: We'll probably bring a sandwich or two with us just because snorkeling makes us RAVENOUS...but we'd also like to eat lunch while we're on shore. Recommendations? Hammerheads looks a bit like a bar, do the serve anything besides fish? Paradise? Lobster pot? burger king???LOL

Also, we plan to do a short stingray excursion as well. Anyone know how long it takes to get off the ship at a tender port when you DON'T have an excursion booked through the cruiseline? We did this on RCI's Coco Cay and it seemed like we got there early and got off pretty quickly...in fact, we were some of the first to put footprints on about half that island. Of course, there were very few bookable excursions for the private island...

...Question: We'll probably bring a sandwich or two with us just because snorkeling makes us RAVENOUS...but we'd also like to eat lunch while we're on shore. Recommendations? Hammerheads looks a bit like a bar, do the serve anything besides fish? Paradise? Lobster pot? burger king???...

I recall both Paradise and Hammerheads having similar menu's, burgers, sandwiches, salads, and some seafood sandwiches. I think we had a cesar salad with some blackened seafood on it at Hammerheads.

...Also, we plan to do a short stingray excursion as well. Anyone know how long it takes to get off the ship at a tender port when you DON'T have an excursion booked through the cruiseline? We did this on RCI's Coco Cay and it seemed like we got there early and got off pretty quickly...in fact, we were some of the first to put footprints on about half that island. Of course, there were very few bookable excursions for the private island...

I'd plan on doing just the stingray or the local snorkeling, not both. With that said - if you get a relatively early snorkeling tour you might be back in time for a bite of food and/or snorkeling near the docks. But don't cut your return from sting ray city short - we've seen terrible traffic on the island, especially close to final tender times for your, or another, ship. We one signed up for a tour on the dock but had to wait about 1 1/2 hours. I think your best bet is one of the popular independent excursions here on the board - although some leave too early to make it. Or find a local dive & fishing boat operator on-line, in the phone book, or through some hotel's concierge desk and book a private boat.

My ship will be tendered from 8AM to 5PM with the last tender at 4:30PM.

Would you recommend a tour from 9:30 to 11:30 or a tour from 1 to 3 PM? If I take the first tour I should be back with a few hours to kill...could possibly hit at least ONE spot, right? But it would have to be something nearby, narrowing the choices to the cali or eden rock...which is better? Eden, right?

Does anyone know how I can find out how many ships will be in port on the same day?

• 3 weeks later...

Question about the lockers at Eden Rock. If we snorkel in the morning and rent a locker can it be rented for all day? So we can stash our things while we shop? Or can they just be rented while we are there?

I've also seen an excursion to the Cayman Barrier Reef. Anyone done this? The RCCL tour includes a stop at the Kaibo Yacht Club which I'm not really interested in, but the reef seems interesting.

Another question....Where would snorkeling be better Cozumel or GC?????

My ship will be tendered from 8AM to 5PM with the last tender at 4:30PM.

Would you recommend a tour from 9:30 to 11:30 or a tour from 1 to 3 PM? If I take the first tour I should be back with a few hours to kill...could possibly hit at least ONE spot, right? But it would have to be something nearby, narrowing the choices to the cali or eden rock...which is better? Eden, right?

Does anyone know how I can find out how many ships will be in port on the same day?

Here is the site to check what other ships are in port with you.

http://www.cruisecal.info/portal/MainCalendar/tabid/36/Default.aspx

I would say that it definately will depend on how many ships are in port with you. We took the early stingray tour on the Bucaneer and underestimated the time it would take us. I think there were 4 ships total in port and it was a mad house. We almost missed the bus. Thank goodness they waited for us. Getting back to the ship was the same thing only we realized after standing in line for 20 min and not moving, that we were in the Carnival line and we were sailing on RCCL.:rolleyes:

Beware of the yellow striped fish! My friend and I both got bit by one. It didn't hurt but kind of scared me! I had scrapes on the side of my finger. I had fish food in one hand and had the other relaxed laying in the water and this fish came up and tried to eat my finger. My friend Robert also had the same type of fish grab his finger. I gave my food away after that! It was still a fun way to spend the day.

Diane

• 1 year later...

Eden Rock was the highlight of my April cruise on the Majesty.

It was free, it was easy, and everybody in the family loved it.

The day before we got to Georgetown, I just happened to walk past the line for tender tickets, so I got a low number. We were on the shore really early, like 9am I think. I lugged two sets of snorkel gear from home (even though there were 4 of us -- our last cruise I lugged 4 sets and there was always two sets in the bag!). We're all capable swimmers, so we didn't bring vests. They cause so much drag you can't swim with them anyway. If you want assurance, you can buy a little styro surfboard or something, and just leave it for the next guy. But we got away without any floats or vests.

The Paradise is about a two minute walk "to the right" as you hit the main beach road. You can't miss it. Green roof. We sat in the shade of the deck of the Paradise and while the first two went in. There were some big tarpon right there at Dr. Roy's Slipway, where you go into the water. Daughter 2 (12 years old) wasn't too crazy about those 30 inch long fish, but got over it. The kids put their fins on first, sat down on the concrete with feet in the water and shoved in. I shoved in with my fins in my hand (barefoot), floated on my back and put my fins on. The local divemaster warned me about the urchins, but I wasn't putting my feet on the bottom anyway. So the pair of us swam straight out or maybe a little to the left, for 3 or 4 minutes. You can't miss the coral heads, since they come up to within 8 or 10 feet of the surface. Part of the time when I was there, there was a dive boat out there, just past the reef. I swam in and out 3 times (once for each kid + wife). We saw lots of cool fish including barracuda, sea turtles (got a short ride!). I swam through a few of the "caves" between the coral heads, but this was beyond my family (they stay on the surface). In fact, I don't recall seeing any other snorkelers leave the surface, and there were no scuba divers there either. Of course a free dive to 40 feet isn't for everyone, but I love to get up close and personal.

After getting out of the water, there's a public rest room right across the street. Just go straight across the street from the Paradise restaurant, between the buildings of a strip mall kind of place, there's a elevator lobby and there's some really nice bathrooms there. I changed then sat at the Paradise and had a couple of beers. That was, by far, the best port of call of the cruise.

--Dale--

Archived