Today Tonight thrown off Peach Sunset cruise

chaz cruiser

Hey Sam,

How's the studying going? Are you finished yet?

Cheers,

Charmain:)

1 more left. And that is this afternoon. after that, my week of hellish exams is over :D.

And as an added bonus, i get to pick up my cruise tickets this afternoon

1 more left. And that is this afternoon. after that, my week of hellish exams is over :D.

And as an added bonus, i get to pick up my cruise tickets this afternoon

Good luck this afternoon,:)

Congratulations on making it the end of your schooling,:D

And

Lucky you for picking up your tickets this aftenoon!:mad: (wish it was me).

• 3 weeks later...

Her Smugness Ms Naomi Robson announced on tonights Today Tonight that she is leaving the show after hosting it for 10 years (initially just in Melbourne), her last show is on Friday night..... Poor dear's had a hard year, but she's not leaving because of that - she's leaving because she set herself 10 years, and she want's to go on to other things.

She even managed to squeeze out a few tears, which she bravely held back.

And you're right Karen, I don't think anyone will hear back from TT.

Her Smugness Ms Naomi Robson announced on tonights Today Tonight that she is leaving the show after hosting it for 10 years (initially just in Melbourne), her last show is on Friday night.....

Do we party now or on friday night? :D

And no, i havnt heard a peep from them either.

Just thought I'd keep you all informed. Today tonight will only respond to written complaints, so if we only email them they will not be a respond.

Anyway here is a copy of the letter I am sending to them. I have just finished writting it and am on my way to send it now.

According to the code of practices, they have to respond within 30 days, so I will let you know what, if anything I get back.

"

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am writing to you with respect to the story that you aired on Tuesday, 7 November 2006, regarding cruising and the P&O cruise that your reporting team was removed from.

I was a passenger on the cruise in question, and not only was I angered and disgusted by your story, but I also felt also violated.

I think that you should not only review your companies ethics and adherence to the code of practice, but also the legalities of filming people when they are unaware, and then broadcasting the footage on national television.

Reading through the Commercial Television Industry code of practice under the section of News and Current Affairs Programs, it states

“4.3 In broadcasting news and current affairs programs, licensees:

4.3.1 must present factual material accurately and represent viewpoints fairly, having regard to the circumstances at the time of preparing and broadcasting the program;”

This is the first point in which I feel that you breached the code.

You not only showed archived footage of your previous attack on the company, but you also yet again showed footage of the bar in Vila - Ma Bakers and the famous bar sliding that occurs there, making viewers assume that this is the behavior that occurred on the cruise in question. If you had the need to used old footage to continue your attack on the company, you should have made it obvious to the viewers that this was old footage. In actual fact, the bar where this footage was shot, was closed on the day the cruise ship was docked in Vila.

You also commented about the 14yr old receiving a drink, but you neglected to inform the viewers that it was Colin, your investigator, giving it to her. Why was that?

At no time have I witnessed you attempting to represent the viewpoints fairly. The only people interviewed were your own ‘planted’ team.

You stated that when P&O removed you from the ship, to “protect the privacy of their passengers”, that “nobody complained to you”. Could you please explain how any of us were able to “complain” or comment to you, when all of the filming and interviewing was done undercover, and no one was made aware of your presence?

For the majority of the passengers, the first that we were made aware of you presence was when the captain announced that you had been removed from the ship, and disembarked in Vila. If you claim that none of the passengers complained, how do you explain the cheer that rang out around the ship and the expressions of thanks and applause that the captain received as he walked among the passengers.

I have cruised with P&O several times with my family and friends, and I certainly would not be subjecting my children, parents and friends to the sort of behavior that you are implying is so obviously flaunted.

Another point is with the following section of the code of practice, where it states

“4.3.5 must not use material relating to a person’s personal or private affairs, or which invades an individual’s privacy, other than where there is an identifiable public interest reason for the material to be broadcast;”

You are clutching at straws to say that the footage you showed has an identifiable public interest. You have invaded the privacy of all on board the ship not only by filming them without their knowledge, but also by airing the footage publicly, on national television, without the consent of all parties involved. No attempt was made by you to cover up the faces of the passengers from whom you had not sought permission, or to hide their identity. I, for one, know how the passengers who appear feel, as I was one of many who were easily identified, by viewers watching the report, and at no time was my, or my traveling companions’ permission or approval sought.

I await to hear you defense for you actions, and you blatant disrespect for people’s privacy, when they are simply trying to have a holiday away from the busy lives that they lead.

Why can’t you simply report the facts fairly, you could have filmed the same sort of behavior happening in any nightclub of bar in town, but instead you choose to attack the company and cruise line that thousands of passengers choose to cruise on each year."

Sandra

Archived