first timer needs info

lovetotravelgirl

I will be celebrating my 50th birthday along with 25 years of marriage and will also be bringing our three children, ages 24, 22 and 21. We plan to cruise Jan 6-13 in 2008. Only my daughter has been on a cruise and that was a 3day to Ensenada. What would be the best cruise line/ship for us to take for 7 days in the Western Caribbean? Would it be best for us to book with a travel agent or online? I have just started my research and there is so much information out there, it's a little overwhelming.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I would guess RCI would fit the bill for both you & kids.

I haven't cruised them personally, but know others who have, and I think it would fit both age groups the best.

HTH

Kris

I'm sure you will get lots of opinions on this one. I have cruised Princess & NCL. I'm partial to NCL for the freestyle dining... but i think either of 2 i've been on would be fine for your group. If i had to pick one, i'd say NCL for you as well :)

For my 25th anniversary we also went on a cruise with our 3 daughters, similar in age to yours and went on the Navigator of the Seas (RCCL). We all loved it!

The following year for my 50th birthday, we decided to cruise again to celebrate, again with my DH and 3 daughters, but this time decided to try the Carribean Princess. We all had a great time again.

Either RCCL or Princess would be good choices.

I have heard from several people, including travel agents, that RCCL makes a good first cruise for a variety of ages. It is a consistent product that has alot of activities that will appeal to a variety of age groups.

Question? Are you and your family into sports, dancing, clubing, drinking, food or just the chill type? This would help people out a little bit (bite). For sport people, I recommend Freedom of the Seas or Voyager Class ships. For those who want a more eligant, slower pace cruise I would go Celebrity. Princess is also a good choice. Have fun deciding.

I am with Wendy here ... it depends on what you are looking for in a cruise .. all cruise lines offer something slightly different .. but it really won't matter you will all be on a cruise together and having a great time .. go for the best itinerary/price and just enjoy

Loveto,

I can't say which line to take, but I can give you this advice. We looked on all the popular discount sites to find the cruise we wanted to take. Then we called the 1-800 number of that cruiseline and said this is what the discount sites want for your cruise, can you either upgrade us to a better view/room or can you give us a better price? Each cruiseline has their own agents who know their ships backwards and forwards and can advise you about rooms with a view vs. rooms with a lifeboat partially covering your view. They can tell you about shore excursions, etc. We did this on both of our cruises and did just fine. We used Celebrity on our first cruise and Carnival on our second one.

We cruised Princess 2 years ago and LOVED it...we will be doing same ship/itinerary (well, almost) this spring.

BUT there were VERY few 20 somethings on the ship and most were couples. We met ONE group of guys and ONE group of girls. They did find each other and hung out all week. But I would guess your girls would find more 20 somethings on RCI. But I would ALWAYS recommend Princess for the experience!

Google online cruise agents. We booked our first cruise through a major online travel agency. GREAT price, and they sent coupon book, bottle of wine & certificate for free 8x10 photo to our room (we were NOT expecting that from a huge online agency!) We have booked this one through a cruise only online agency, and their prices are superb. I have visited on the phone with them also, and am pleased so far w/ service.

No matter what...you will have a great time!

Kris

Without knowing more, I would say RCI Voyager class. Lots of athletic type activities for the 20-somethings and other things for you & DH (you guys may like the athletic stuff too). Without more info, it would be really difficult to be more specific.

• 2 weeks later...

When I'm starting to research my next cruise, I like to go to a TA and get a whole bunch of brochures. If they don't have a lot, go to the websites and order them. Then sit down and browse. I find it easier than trying to go back and forth from websites, my memory sucks. Now, when I figure out which company I'm going to go with, I focus on them. Website and brochure. Looking at the pics, studying deck plans, so I don't get a cabin under the noisy decks etc. A good example of this is; when we were booking in '05, we had a ship & cabin all ready to book. When we got to the ta and told her, well they sold their ships. So we got a Princess brochure, and tentatively booked the cheapest balcony we could. Well I went home, studied the deck plans and photos and discovered that if I were in this balcony cabin I'd have to keep the curtains closed for privacy. The Promenade deck was right infront of the balcony and people could walk right in front. So went back to ta next day, she got on the phone w/ Princess and we booked the second highest deck for $43.00 a person more.So you have a lot of time, do your homework. Heck that's half the fun.

Now if you don't care where your cabin is, book a gaurantee and have fun.

Archived