How short of a lay-over are you comfortable with?

MamaParrotHead

I have done 36 minutes in EWR (Newark, NJ) coming from Germany and continuing to Indianapolis via Continental. This included deplaning, clearing US Immigration (in a few minutes, the passport check hall was Ellis Island sized :D Good Job!!!), then go thru US Customs and had to explain why I'm bringing pet food in the US :eek: and finally on to my next flight. Very leisurly pace.

Prior to that I've done 50 minutes (same drill, Immigration, Customs, walk to gate) at JFK. If you've ever seen Marathon Man (the movie...).

We went thru Atlanta in 2005 to FLL and had a couple hours to spend, nothing to it. Under an hour I'd be worried.

after missing a connection a few years back with continental at IAH, with about 40 minutes time, having to play musical terminals with lots of construction and a mom who can't move too fast, i refuse to have a connection of less than one hour.

we wound up getting put up by the airline, without our clothes or anyting, and having to buy tee shirts to sleep in. the hotel gave us toothbrushes and combs. the hotel was stumped as to why the airline didn't give us a meal voucher!! it is pretty sad when the holiday inn has it's own private continental WING in the hotel!!!

i like to have about 1-1.5 hours or so. 3 is max! we like time to "rest" and have a snack..plus get to the next gate.

funny, the one time i got bumped, i was on delta through ATL. i took the bump...they bumped like 12 people cause others missed connecting flights. hey a free trip to san antonio worked for me!!! then i got booted off the next flight. wound up spending 8 hours there! i made them cough up more food vouchers (which i redeemed at the bar!)

I've flown connecting in Atlanta several times in the past couple of months. They are doing construction on some of the runways and I would be very hesitant with a connection time that wasn't at least an hour layover. On both of my flights, it took while to even get to the gate once we landed. On one flight, we were an hour late leaving my originating airport due to the planes being backed up in Atlanta and I missed my next flight. My luggage also ended up being lost. Not a good thing since I was going on a cruise :eek: I would avoid Atlanta if I can right now or make sure I have a long layover.

The construction on the runways was finished this week. They now have a 5th runway open in Atlanta.

Archived