Novo Virus - What is it?

charlielinda

Clarlielinda---

We were on the Mercury last March 6th. That was the first voyage that Noro was reported to the CDC. It was also known as one of the 'bleach' cruises and the passengers started calling the ship the "SS Clorox".

I believe the official number of cases was vastly understated by Celebrity as they were counting only the passengers who sought treatment at sick bay on the ship.

Many, many more did not report their illnesses, as they were afraid of being quarantined to their cabins. We were both victims of Noro during that cruise.. I came down with it the day the ship was in Acapulco, but it lasted only a few hours for me, and I did not miss dinner that night.

Nancy was not so lucky, it hit her on the plane back to Michigan from San Diego and she needed a wheel chair to get from the plane to the car. She was very sick for several days at home and it was well over a week before she was back to normal.

Noro is a gastro-intestinal virus that is passed through contact with contaminated items and or persons. It is very common not only on cruise lines but in any place where people live and/or eat in close proximity. It is very important to sanitize your hands as this is the body part most likely to pick up the virus, and then transport it to an opening (ie. mouth, open wound, etc). There is a lot of information on the CDC website.

The key to prevention is hand washing. The bleach spraying was done to kill the virus on those areas that were generally touched by the passengers and crew. I'm not sure about the shrimp issue, or the no rare beef issue being related to noro, but I do feel the ice bucket issue is related as these buckets are generally taken by the assistant steward and filled at one time, so the same bucket may not be returned to your room. You may then get a bucket with someone else's germs on it. By making you request ice, it assures that the same bucket will be returned to you.

Also, having staff dispense the food in the buffet lowers the possibility of contamination of the serving tools.

Hope this helps --see you on board the Z.

We have the Novo Virus at our main hospital in the Isle of Man at the moment and have closed three wards. I believe it causes severe sickness and diarrea for about 4 days and is highly contageous. I also heard they have closed an entire hospital in the Glasgow area.

I have not heard of it reaching any cruise ships at the moment and you can be sure if it had you would have heard on these boards.

This is why it is vital for everyone to use the gel when entering the dining rooms etc. Having diabetes I even carry small bottles around with me can't take any chances.

Hope this helps!

3 days to J626 Simply Carribean woooppppeee!!!!!

Sounds like the good old fashioned intestinal flu to me. But you know today everything has to have a fancy name or label.

Just returned from Constellation 11 days New England/Canada cruise and didn't have any problems. There were hand sanitizers everywhere, and people were using them.

Have a great cruise.:D

We just returned from Millennium's Oct. 17-29 Venice-Barcelona cruise. Had a wonderful time, and Celebrity is obviously taking all precautions to reduce viral outbreaks with handwashing reminders in every restroom, hand disinfectant dispensers at the entry to every dining room, and constant cleaning of frequently touched surfaces such as railings, door handles, etc. (as are other lines, according to friends who've cruised on other ships recently).

In spite of all efforts, however, there was an outbreak during our time on ship. It became obvious when about mid-way through the itinerary the buffet ceased to be self service and only gloved servers handled the serving tongs. Staff members were stationed next to the disinfectant dispensers and verbally reminded each guest to sanitize their hands before entering the dining rooms. No announcements were made, but when we questioned a crew member he admitted that a number of people had fallen ill and thus the additional precautions.

Although I observed all precautions, I got sick the last night on board. Symptoms only last a couple of days, but are intense. Be sure to carry Immodium tablets with you. Fortunately we had an extra day in Barcelona before having to fly home, and although I wasn't able to enjoy it, I was grateful to be able to just rest in bed all day at the hotel before having to tackle the long flight home.

About a year and a half ago, a group from work went to a local chain restaurant. 12 out of 13 of us got the Novo or Norwalk virus. I have never been so sick in my life. It came on so suddenly. At first I didn't have an upset stomach. Within moments I was going from both ends. I have never had anything like it. Once we all realized, our hospital had stool samples taken and we were told it was the Novovirus. I would never want to go through that again. You can be as careful as you want, but if the food or food handler is contaminated, you are going to get it.

Just remember to wash your hands after touching things that others (who may not wash their hands touch). Like door knobs, sink handles in bathrooms, telephones, etc. Carry hand sanitizer in your pocket and use frequently (in addition to what is offered all over the ships). And, if you're really concerned, stay away from buffets - people breathe on food and handle serving pieces then lay them down on counters or food. We had no problem on Mercury this past summer, but others were not so fortunate.

Sorry to be crass, but lets not talk around a subject that can be ruin our vacations. This topic comes up often, and always ends up with posting of well intentioned but misleading information. Not everyone is going to go read the CDC website. If you already know what causes norovirus and have thought about how to minimize your risk of exposure, you can skip the rest of the post.

Here is a quote from the CDC website on the cause:

"Noroviruses are transmitted primarily through the fecal-oral route, either by consumption of fecally contaminated food or water or by direct person-to-person spread. Environmental and fomite contamination may also act as a source of infection. Good evidence exists for transmission due to aerosolization of vomitus that presumably results in droplets contaminating surfaces or entering the oral mucosa and being swallowed. No evidence suggests that infection occurs through the respiratory system."

Also:

"Calicivirus, or Norwalk-like virus is an extremely common cause of foodborne illness, though it is rarely diagnosed, because the laboratory test is not widely available. It causes an acute gastrointestinal illness, usually with more vomiting than diarrhea, that resolves within two days. Unlike many foodborne pathogens that have animal reservoirs, it is believed that Norwalk-like viruses spread primarily from one infected person to another. Infected kitchen workers can contaminate a salad or sandwich as they prepare it, if they have the virus on their hands. Infected fishermen have contaminated oysters as they harvested them. "

Makes you want to go wash your hands right now, huh? Different than flu and e. Coli (a bacteria), but some symptoms are similar. One possible cause of "food poisoning".

Other common sense tips: Avoid popular public restrooms (even if they look clean) -- particularly one next to a restaurant before or during your meal! Use a towel to touch facuets, dispensers, and doors in public restrooms (airplanes included!).

For a general discussion of food poisoning, here is another link from the CDC (they identify over 250 foodbourne illnesses):

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/foodborneinfections_g.htm

Again, not trying to scare anyone, but knowledge is what you need to keep you, your family, and fellow cruisers safe.

Archived