Luggage Locks

AndyPanda

TSA is Transportation Security Administration. They are the ones who inspect your luggage is something looks suspicious on the xray.

TSA locks are combination locks that have a keyhole in the bottom that the TSA has keys to and they can open the lock rather than cut it off to inspect,

I got mine at Target. They work really great. Got twice as many as I needed, just in case the TSA guys are too lazy to get their special locks. Plan to put one inside each suitcase for my next cruise, so I've got spares. They also come in very bright colors to help distinguish my bags from others'.

Sorry but What are TSA Locks & Who are TSA Inspectors?

www.tsa.gov

Air Travel

Travel Assistant

TSA Recognized Baggage Locks

tsa_accepted_locks.jpgWe all sometimes need a little extra sense of security, but before you lock your bag, make sure it’s a TSA accepted lock. We screen every bag before it’s placed on any airplane. While our technology allows us to electronically screen bags, there are times when we need to physically inspect a piece of luggage. If a bag is locked, we are allowed to cut the lock off. That’s where recognized locks come in. We worked in partnership with several companies to develop locks which offer you security without interrupting the security we offer. These locks are normally available at airports and travel stores nationwide.

Before you buy a lock for your bag, make sure to use a TSA accepted one. Look for these symbols to make sure you have the right lock.

Not sure where to get one? Try these Web sites for TSA accepted locks:

locks_travel_sentry.jpg

locks_safe_skies.jpg

I used to use the little locks that came with the luggage, then 9/11 hit, and you can't lock your suitcases anyway for air travel. Then I saw a program on TV about the airport workers, and if they want into your suitcase, they will cut it/smash it, do whatever it takes to get it open, so I don't even worry about locking it now. I just don't pack anything really valuable in my suitcase. My jewelry, money, and passport are in my purse. And I usually put my camera, film and souvenirs in my carry-on. Don't see the sense of locking up a suitcase, if you have to open it for security at the airport, or I've heard they even cut the locks, so your money is down the drain and your stuff is no longer locked up.:D

Since the OP was asking about international flights, it is recommended to lock your luggage. It's the US that doesn't.

Went to Budapest Hungary last year, didn't lock my luggage then either. When we got to Tom Bradley, that was the first thing they asked at check in, was our luggage locked? When we stated no, they took the bags without any further questions. I've never had a problem with anyone taking anything form my luggage, if I had, I might feel differently, but as I stated earlier, if someone wants in your bag, those little locks aren't going to keep them out. :D

Went to Budapest Hungary last year, didn't lock my luggage then either. When we got to Tom Bradley, that was the first thing they asked at check in, was our luggage locked? When we stated no, they took the bags without any further questions. I've never had a problem with anyone taking anything form my luggage, if I had, I might feel differently, but as I stated earlier, if someone wants in your bag, those little locks aren't going to keep them out. :D

I agree. I never put anything in my luggage I would worry about loosing. It I consider it valuable or worry about its loss, I carry it on. If someone needs my undershorts worst than me, they can have them.:D

I agree about the worry being someone putting something IN your luggage. I changed some of our ways after a recommendation on a board.

Just finished a New England cruise on QM2. I didn't lock luggage flying in the US because of TSA. When we landed in NY, we locked the cases that would be handled going aboard the ship. The last night we locked the cases before we put them in the hall as a precaution against someone putting things IN. We took them off before we checked in at the airport. Sounds like a pain and we have cruised without locking them but I thought the recommendation was a good one.

We did use the plastic ties once and ran into the problem finding scissors or a sharp knife to cut them off once we were on the ship.

Archived