Jewish Heritage Tour

Plant

Hi,

We were scheduled to take the Jewish Heritage Tour in Curacao on November 23. For some reason, it was canceled :( . Would a cab driver be able to take us to these places, or can someone recommend a guide?

Here's what we were supposed to visit:

Willemstad’s Scharloo District, home to old colonial mansions built by the island’s Jewish merchants.

Beth Haim Cemetery which was consecrated in 1659 and is a repository of superb funerary art.

Landhouse Bloemhof with its excellent collections of art and artifacts from Curacao’s Jewish past.

Mikve Emmanuel Israel, the oldest synagogue in the Western Hemisphere, built in 1732.

Also, are any of these within walking distance of the port?

Thanks for your help!

Hi Marty,

Sorry, I should have been more specific! This was a tour offered by Princess and canceled by them. I tried searching for Taber Tours, but got an error message. Maybe they're not doing tours anymore??

Do you have a website or an email address for Gigi?

Thanks for your help!

Hi Plant,

I have heard of these cancellation by Princess :( and checked it out.

What I understand, is that Gigi is booked by people that contacted here first.

I have made contact with the other guide able to guide this tour.

Please mail me direct.

Henry"Leo"Plaate

Rent-A-Guide

The synagogue is walking distance from the dock...you just have to cross the floating bridge, and I think it is just a few blocks from there. We took the tour when we were there in 01/05, and it was interesting, but the synagogue and museum were the real highlights...it took a surprisingly long time to drive to the temple from the dock, but it is more direct to walk.

Thank you, "Leo" and whale watcher!

Gigi has contacted me and now has 8 people booked for her tour. If anyone else is interested, let me know. (Thanks, Marty!)

Instead of just walking to the synagogue, we wanted to see more of the Jewish sights and her tour sounds very similar :) to the ship's tour.

Thanks,

Thank you, "Leo" and whale watcher!

Gigi has contacted me and now has 8 people booked for her tour. If anyone else is interested, let me know. (Thanks, Marty!)

Instead of just walking to the synagogue, we wanted to see more of the Jewish sights and her tour sounds very similar :) to the ship's tour.

Thanks,

I'm glad things worked out for you.

Marty

Hi whale-watcher,

Thanks! I was pretty sure she was the guide for Princess, but she seemed to be very carefully NOT mentioning that! We're looking forward to the tour.

BTW, I read the CJ thread in Floataway, but don't post much, so I feel like I know you!

• 3 weeks later...

We're back and we had a wonderful time on our tour with Gigi! There were only three of us on the tour, so it was very personal. Gigi is so interesting and seems to know everything about the Jewish community in Curacao!

Thanks again for recommending her,

Archived