RCCL to Switch Pullmantur and Celebrity Ships

DJan07

I have just recently read an article about RCCL and some news about Pullmantur. It said that last night, RCCL received antitrust approval from the Portugese and Spanish governments of the acquistion of Pullmantur. They have made pending plans to switch Celebrity's Zenith and Pullmantur's Blue Dream. Pullmantur's Blue Dream will move to Celebrity in April, and Zenith will leave the Celebrity fleet for Pullmantur in May. Although it is a small step, it sounds like RCCL is getting more powerful and is giving Carnival Corp. a run for their money. Any thoughts, information or opinions?

Derek

I think that RCI has been smart with their moves within the industry. They are building brands that will not compete within their own family of brands. Carnival went on a buying spree and now they are starting to cannibalize each other with all of the brands that they own. I don't think that being the biggest is always the best. I also give kudos to RCI for not turning out the same cookie cutter ship design for RCI and Celebrity. Carnival has done this over and over. Just a different funnel and name but basically the same ship. The Spirit class is a good example of this. Costa, P&O and HAL uses basically the same design. Even the new Queen Victoria is a knock off of the Spirit/Vista class design.

[quote name='cruisingator2']I think that RCI has been smart with their moves within the industry. They are building brands that will not compete within their own family of brands. Carnival went on a buying spree and now they are starting to cannibalize each other with all of the brands that they own. I don't think that being the biggest is always the best. I also give kudos to RCI for not turning out the same cookie cutter ship design for RCI and Celebrity. Carnival has done this over and over. Just a different funnel and name but basically the same ship. The Spirit class is a good example of this. Costa, P&O and HAL uses basically the same design. Even the new Queen Victoria is a knock off of the Spirit/Vista class design.[/quote]

I agree, I really would like to see some new ship designs out of Carnival Corp., especially for CCL. I'm tired of the same ole same ole Destiny Hull, for every ship that comes out. ( except spirit class ) They can call em Triumph Class, Conquest Class all they want, IMHO its the Destiny's hull, then it is a Destiny class.

-Mike

Well, for the moment Spanish cruisers are not particularly amused by the change, since most of them aren´t able to think what´a the Zenith like?. Blue Moom & Dream were institutions among the cruisers, and would be happy with the new vessel but without leaving one of "their" crown jewels. It´s clear that the Zenith means an increase of tonnage, and is cheaper to operate. It´s also clear that as far as figures are concerned is a good move, but in terms of passenger approvement?. I am not sure of it.

I am also sure, that Iberojet must be very nervous right now.

[quote name='keltic']Well, for the moment Spanish cruisers are not particularly amused by the change, since most of them aren´t able to think what´a the Zenith like?. Blue Moom & Dream were institutions among the cruisers, and would be happy with the new vessel but without leaving one of "their" crown jewels. It´s clear that the Zenith means an increase of tonnage, and is cheaper to operate. It´s also clear that as far as figures are concerned is a good move, but in terms of passenger approvement?. I am not sure of it.

I am also sure, that Iberojet must be very nervous right now.[/quote]I can see that, Zenith might be bigger but isn't it quite a bit older than Blue Moon?

Archived