Ideas for Maui

Ocean Spirit

We will be flying into Maui on a Saturday and have booked a condo till Tuesday morning (we are going to take the Wind out of Honolulu)

1.) Is there a grocery store on the way from the airport towards the West side of the island?

2.) We have booked a Luau on Sunday night. and we will probably go up to see the sunrise one morning.

3.) We'll drive up towards Hana but doubt we will go all the way to Hana

(we've already done that)

We will also come back to Maui for 1 day during the cruise.

Is the sugar train worth it? Does anyone have any other suggestions

(party of 6 from ages 14 to 74)

Appreciate any suggestions.

Aloha.

1. Where are you staying on the west side? There are groceries over on that side, as well as in Kahului. It might be easiest to get your groceries close to your condo, rather than buying them in Kahului and schlepping them across the island.

2. Sounds good, but sunrise at the summit of Haleakala isn't an absolute must do (IMO). What luau have you booked?

3. If you've all already been to Hana, I'd skip the road entirely. Depending on where you are on the west side, it could take an hour or more of driving just to get to the start of the road. There's so much else to do that you could spend an hour at Iao Valley/Needle instead. There's a nature center there (I think) and plenty of little trails and walking paths. You'll still get the whole "rainforest and water" feel without the effort of getting out toward Hana.

4. No, IMO, the sugar train isn't worth it.

For other activities you could go to the Maui Ocean Center. If you snorkel, there are plenty of trips out to Molokini. Of course you've got all the beaches for various activities. A drive upcountry and over to Tedeschi Winery can be fun. With that wide age spread, I'd suggest not planning all day, every day with everyone doing the same thing. A young teen is most likely going to want to do some different activities than a 74 y/o. It's nice to have options and split up the group part of the time.

I must give you my "Hawaii lecture" now. Please, please, please don't try to cram each day full of "stuff to do." Leave plenty of time to just lounge on the beach or by the pool or wherever. That way you'll have an enjoyable vacation rather than one where you felt like all you did was rush, rush, rush to get to one place after another. (As you've already been to Hawaii, you probably already know this, but I think it's worth repeating as a reminder.)

Have fun.

beachchick

1.) Is there a grocery store on the way from the airport towards the West side of the island?
I recommend the Safeway on Kamehameha Ave in Kahului. I thought they had more variety and better produce than the groceries on the west side of the island.
Does anyone have any other suggestions
The Iao Valley is pretty easy to get to and very beautiful, but it won't eat up so much of your day that you don't have time for lazing on the beach. When my family was there two weeks ago, we did a snorkeling tour with the Pacific Whale Foundation and found it very enjoyable, as well as educational.

There is a Costco just outside the airport in Kahului. Since you have a large group, you might be able to finish everything before you leave on Tuesday.

There is also a nice flea market that sells fresh fruits/food, pottery, etc. on the Kahului side (not far from Ross). (Saturday only, I think).

Beaches on the Wailea (near Grand Wailea) are great and near lots of shops. Perhaps the teen(s) want to snorkle and the older group may want to wander around the shops. We drove to the end of the road (pass McKenna golf resort) and the scenery was beautiful. The road is two lane and dirt, but view was spectacular. Bring some food or buy along the road and have a relaxing day.

Brunch at the Kapalua Hotel on Sunday is pricey but very relaxing. After brunch, walk along the grounds and visit the Ritz. We played croquette on the lawn and spent a wonderful afternoon together as a family.

Catch the show at the theater in Lahaina. Can't remember the name right now, but it's been around awhile. Tells about the history of Hawaii; founded by a former Cirque du Soleil member.

If you like sushi, visit Sansei in Kihei or Kapalua. Our visit to Maui is never complete without eating there. Call to see when they offer discounts. Sometimes it's 50% off and you can try anything on the menu. Be sure to check times and get their early for a seat. Order everything at once because in Kapalua, it's only good for about an hour.

Sorry I got off topic, but Maui is one of my very favorite places to visit.

Thank you all for giving me wonderful suggestions. And I appreciate the reminder to take the time to experience the spirit of Hawaii vs. than running all over the place. I really liked the ideas everyone shared.

We will be staying at Resort Quest at Papakea. (formally Aston)

It looks like a long drive from the airport.

We are going to the Old Lahaina Luau *----*

Thank you all for giving me wonderful suggestions. And I appreciate the reminder to take the time to experience the spirit of Hawaii vs. than running all over the place. I really liked the ideas everyone shared.

We will be staying at Resort Quest at Papakea. (formally Aston)

It looks like a long drive from the airport.

We are going to the Old Lahaina Luau *----*

I second the motion on the Ocean Center. Fun for the

whole group. Very high quality and educational, too (don't

tell the kids that it's educational).

We like to recommend the drive up to Ulupalakua and the

winery. The views are great, and it is nice and cool up

on the mountain. On the way, you can visit Makawao and

get close to some real Hawaiian cowboy culture. If some of

the party likes 4-wheeling or horses, there are outfits that

will get you treking up on Haleakala.

The show is called Ulalena, and is recommended by visitors and locals alike.

Not sure if the road up to Iao Valley is open yet. Check when

you get here, before driving up.

Hope this helps.

Archived