Xunantunich or cave tubing: Can I handle it?

countrycruzr

No. If you look a few posts up, Willowood posted a pic of the walk from where the buses park to the beginning of the ruins. This is the walk I am referring to. It's about a quarter of a mile. The walk up El Castillo is in addition to that. I booked the excursion and will post a review when I return on Dec. 11th. Good luck! Wish me luck!

countrycruzr, I'll look forward to your review!

I had seen the prior post about the 1/4 mile walk up to the grassy area. I'm just a little confused because of what I read on this website, which states those stairs are leading to El Castillo:

http://belizecruiseexcursions.com/Xanantunich_Belize.htm

Sea&SkiCruiser, does that mean that ascending and descending from El Castillo is "one way"? Are those steps on the side where the stucco frieze is exposed?

Thanks for your help! I'm so looking forward to this excursion, but still trying to get a perspective on what I'll be dealing with.

SeaandSki, I am so happy to hear they offered the option of being driven up to the grassy area! Hopefully the Miracle guide does the same. I've been practicing on my driveway and can now go about 500 feet without getting too winded on a similar incline. But let's face it, that is still only about a quarter of the amount I'd have to walk to get up to the ruins. I don't mind stopping for a minute about 4 times, but just don't want to make anyone wait. So if I have the option to ride up, I will! Glad to hear you are fluffy and did the climb. It is my goal for the cruise! Did they give you enough time to climb up and down the actual ruin?

I’m also a bit confused about the steps. They look like the ones we descended to the grassy area. I remember being thankful for the rail. If they are the same ones, I suppose it’s up to the guide which way one goes up and down. Also, I believe there were stairs leading from the road to the grassy area but we didn’t use them. We started our climb of El Castillo on the deep steps in the middle and then went to the left. The stucco frieze was on the left side. Our guide stopped several times during the ascent to explain things and for photo ops. It was a leisurely pace, I never felt rushed and we spent a long time on the top. There are two stone staircases that lead to the top. We took the left one up and the right one down. I will caution that the staircases might be a bit intimidating for someone with a fear of heights. A friend, who had problems at the Acropolis, did not ascend El Castillo with us. I know she made the right decision. Hope this helps. We really enjoyed the excursion and our guide was terrific. Hope your excursions go as well.

Thanks so much, Sea&SkiCruiser! I'm up to the task and climbing to the top. It's coming down that would bother me without something to hold on to, because I get vertigo sometimes from sinus problems. DH will help me out I'm sure (Won't you dear? Wherever you are? LOL!)

Archived