Xunantunich or cave tubing: Can I handle it?

countrycruzr

Hey ya'll. DH and I are sailing on the Miracle on Dec. 3rd. My first cruise, DH's second, but he didn't visit any ports. I've been lurking here for awhile but decided to take the plunge.

We have planned for every port except Belize, where I REALLY want to do the Xunantunich ruins. The problem is, we are both overweight and I'm out of shape. I have been walking, and do okay on flat ground and rough, uneven terrain. The problem is hills. I can do about a 20 degree slope? for about 200 feet then I have to stop for a minute to catch my breath. I have heard that there is a walk from where the buses park to the beginning of the ruins. I've read everything I could find about this, but still haven't found the details I need.

Has anyone done this tour with the ships? If so, could you describe the walk in detail to me? Where do the buses park? How steep is the slope? How many feet is it from beginning to end from the buses to the start of the ruins? How often do the guides stop so people can catch their breath? I want to climb El Castillo which does not concern me as I know I can stop and rest if I have to, but would hate to get there and try to follow fast walking guides and hold everyone up on the walk to the ruins.

As for cave tubing, I would like the same details about the walk to the river. How many hills are there and how steep are they and how often do the guides stop from the different tour companies including the Carnival tours? The paddling part does not bother me as I am an experienced kayaker and paddling activity does not wear me out.

Any details on these walks would be great, and help me make up my mind which tour to do, if I can do either one. Thanks!

There is a post on the Belize forum now that discusses how the hike is for the cave tubing excursions. Its called something like:

Cavetubing Stenuous? or something close to that. Sounds to me that most of the hike is on flat ground on a well worn path.

Sorry don't know about the hike for the ruins.

Thanks Vmom. I did read that thread. Actually I've read every thread about both the ruins and cave tubing. The problem is, people just say relatively flat, fast pace, etc. The problem is, it's all subjective. Someone in good shape may find a walk easy, someone in bad shape may find it horrible. etc. For instance, I've found that some people say the walk to Xunantunich is up a steep hill and takes about ten minutes. Some says it's mile walk, some a two mile walk. That's why I wish I could get someone to estimate the number of feet, degree of slope etc. I've looked everywhere and always get a different response. Thanks for the reply.

Another possible idea...what about sending an email to one of the tour operators and ask them to be very frank about the amount of fitness needed and for a detailed description of the hike portion.

Hey ya'll. DH and I are sailing on the Miracle on Dec. 3rd. My first cruise, DH's second, but he didn't visit any ports. I've been lurking here for awhile but decided to take the plunge.

We have planned for every port except Belize, where I REALLY want to do the Xunantunich ruins. The problem is, we are both overweight and I'm out of shape. I have been walking, and do okay on flat ground and rough, uneven terrain. The problem is hills. I can do about a 20 degree slope? for about 200 feet then I have to stop for a minute to catch my breath. I have heard that there is a walk from where the buses park to the beginning of the ruins. I've read everything I could find about this, but still haven't found the details I need.

Has anyone done this tour with the ships? If so, could you describe the walk in detail to me? Where do the buses park? How steep is the slope? How many feet is it from beginning to end from the buses to the start of the ruins? How often do the guides stop so people can catch their breath? I want to climb El Castillo which does not concern me as I know I can stop and rest if I have to, but would hate to get there and try to follow fast walking guides and hold everyone up on the walk to the ruins.

As for cave tubing, I would like the same details about the walk to the river. How many hills are there and how steep are they and how often do the guides stop from the different tour companies including the Carnival tours? The paddling part does not bother me as I am an experienced kayaker and paddling activity does not wear me out.

Any details on these walks would be great, and help me make up my mind which tour to do, if I can do either one. Thanks!

Hi countrycruzr,

We are also sailing on the Miracle December 3! Come join our roll call - there aren't too many of us but it is a good group!:)

I have searched a few other sites for you on this topic..my mom is also a bit concerned about lots of walking on rough/uphill/long terrain in the different ports. It will be her first cruise too!

I think you can email to this site and ask them specifics..

info@belizen.com

It stated that if you need more info to drop them a line. Hope this helps!

We have only visited Xunantunich ruins and would highly recommend it.

We toured Xunantunich on a ship excursion tour.

It is a full day to visit it as it is at the other end of Belize. Coming back they had to hold the vessel up for us as our tour bus was running late in returning to Belize City.

With our tour a lunch meal was included at a local restaruant. The guide said it was a safe place to eat as the owners raised everything that was cooked in the restaurant. Additionally, he said that he routinely takes his family there for a Sunday meal as it is one of the better restaruants in the area.

The guide joking told us that we had 2 choices to choose from for our meal. The 2 choices were to eat it or not.:D The meal was very good.

There is an uphill walk to the area of the ruins. Once at the ruins the area is flat. Wife was recovering from cancer and chemo and she made it with no problem. It is a walk of less than a mile. It is basically a U shaped mud road up to the ruins. A small portion of the uphill walk is steaper than the majority of the road up to the ruins. An interesting part of the walk up there is immediately after getting off of the bus you walk onto a small ferry on a small river. The small 2 car carrying ferry is than pulled over by a rope line. Coming back you naturally use the same ferry.

Wow, Steamboatin, bless your wife for making that walk after treatment. What a trooper! I hope she is doing well. Is the whole walk on a slope or is some of it flat? Could you estimate about how many feet the whole walk was from the bus to the start of the ruins? Did anyone have to stop and rest? How fast do the guides walk? Sorry for requiring so much detail, I just want to make sure I don't get there and have to go back to the bus because I can't do it.

Everybody else, thanks for the replies, I think I will try and ask some of the tour operators. I was hesitant to do that because I would be booking with Carnival most likely.

OK here are a few answers to your questions.

Yes the entire walk up to the ruins is on a slope. Just some parts steeper than other parts. Steepest part is near the end coming out of the U shaped curve in the road. Steeper but not bad. By steep mean maybe a 15 degree pitch. Once at the end of the road and in the area of the ruins the area is flat.

It is a mud road so in dry weather it is no problem. In wet weather your shoes will be a mess on the road. Once at the ruins the flat ground is covered in mowed grass.

Walk is between a 1/4 to 1/2 mile I am guessing. It goes by fast when walking with a group. The guide may walk ahead of you or not depending I guess on the guide. Ours did. However, he waited for us at the top of the road and you cannot get lost as it is obvious as to where you are walking up to on this U shaped double car wide road.

Really it is not a bad walk. Someone could easily be pushed up it in a wheel chair if they had to be pushed to the top. Certainly I would not want to be the one pushing however.:D

After all we are from flat land country and we made it with no problem.

Entire walk on the road is under the cover of tree branches and it is a nice view in itself.

We went in January and the temperature was warm and comfortable. We wore shorts and T-Shirts. The guide said that in summer the temperature is normally over 100 degrees every day.

Go for it as you will enjoy it. The hardest part of the whole trip is the bus ride over to the other end of Belize.

Countrycruzr:

We just got back from a Holland America cruise with a tour of the Xun. ruins. I am overweight and out of shape, mid 40's, so my insight might help you a little!

First of all, after the little barge across the river, we had little minivans take us most of the way up the hill. The guide told us it was about a mile. I don't know the grade of the hill, my husband said he thought it was about 15-25 degrees, depending which part. I don't think I could have walked that mile at that grade, however. Our minivan was downshifting and it was struggling to pull all us tourists up the hill. Push a wheelchair up that hill?! Steamboatin, you must be JOKING!

The minivans could get to within about 1/4 mile from the ruins, and from there we had to walk. I had a VERY ROUGH TIME climbing that 1/4 mile. I walked some and then rested. There was no hurry at all. The guides DID NOT hurry us. Some of the people had no problem, most of them were huffing somewhat, and a few like me had more trouble. But we all made it.

I DIDN'T EVEN CONSIDER climbing El Castillo. A lot of people did, my husband (mid 50's) included. He is somewhat overweight and out of shape, and he made it. Even some older people (60's) went up. My husband said that it was scary and dangerous - in that the rocks were mossy and slippery and some areas you were pretty close to the edge.

My husband is glad he climbed up, and I'm glad that I made the hike up to the base of El Castillo, but I don't regret not climbing up there. I would have been too fearful with the narrow ledges. My husband wore good climbing shoes, I only had on tennis shoes, and I had problems slipping on the mossy stones. I say "mossy" but I'm not sure what exactly was on those stones, but it made them slippery. So if you are really serious about climbing El Castillo, wear good hiking/climbing shoes.

Overall, yes, I highly recommend going. It's beautiful and a piece of history. Just use this month between now and your cruise to work up your cardiovascular system and your leg muscles a little. The back of my calves were SCREAMING. Be prepared that the steps to the ruins are steep and slippery so wear good non-skid shoes. I think if you do this you won't have much problem at least getting there, then you can make your own decision if you want to climb El Castillo or not once you are there.

My husband has a lot of pictures he took of El Castillo while climbing, and from the bottom. I will try to post the link to webshots once he gets them posted (hopefully this week!) He couldn't find a picture of the climb up that you could really tell the grade.

Any other questions, please ask!

Mary

Thanks so much Willowoodf! I still don't know what I am going to do. I really want to climb El Castillo and actually am not afraid of that as I know they give you time to climb it and I can rest as much as I want. That climb to the ruins is what really worries me though. I've been walking our driveway which is about an eighth of a mile up and back. It's dirt and very uneven. I have to stop twice on the way up as the whole thing is sloped up to the top. I rest about a minute each time. If Carnival has the minivans available, that would make it easier, but I don't know. PVP's just give you the brochure spiel which gives you no info so I guess I'll have to wait till I'm on the ship to ask at the talk and hope I can still book it. I'm glad you had a good time! Thanks again for the info.

Countrycruzer:

If you are "practicing", I don't think you will have a problem by the time the cruise comes around! If you really want to see it, don't take a chance that it will be sold out. Book it now!

Since HAL is owned by Carnival, you would think they would have the minibuses.

Mary

Actually, I found an old Carnival thread that said they use the vans, so it's a go! It may take me longer to get up there, but I'm going to give it a try. DH says he won't let me give up till I get up there. Now, to convince him to climb El Castillo being afraid of heights ... hmmm ..... what goes around comes around!

Thanks for all your information and pictures. I am going on this tour in 3 weeks. We will also have lunch with this tour. Can someone please tell me what the lunch is. The reason I am asking is that I have a number of food allergies and I am wondering if I will be able to eat anything.

Willowood, thanks so, so much for the pics. Especially the one of the walk up. I've been looking and looking, and couldn't find any. It actually looks a lot like the grade of my driveway. I'm still not anywhere near in shape, but at least I know I can walk 1000 feet up my drive and not stop, so I think I can do this!

Casey, I think the lunch is beans, chicken and rice, fried plantains, and fruit punch for this excursion.

Hi all:

EMTRa - yes, we are going back on the Veendam Dec. 2! Slightly different itinerary, but same ship! Long story as why two cruises on same ship so close together, but there we are!

Casey - yes, the meal is a big mound of rice and beans, two chicken legs, and fried plantains. I really liked it, but several in our group did not.

Countrycruzr - see, keep practicing on that driveway and you'll be fine! Let us know when you get back!

Mary

Hi all:

EMTRa - yes, we are going back on the Veendam Dec. 2! Slightly different itinerary, but same ship! Long story as why two cruises on same ship so close together, but there we are!

Casey - yes, the meal is a big mound of rice and beans, two chicken legs, and fried plantains. I really liked it, but several in our group did not.

Countrycruzr - see, keep practicing on that driveway and you'll be fine! Let us know when you get back!

Mary

• 2 weeks later...

No. If you look a few posts up, Willowood posted a pic of the walk from where the buses park to the beginning of the ruins. This is the walk I am referring to. It's about a quarter of a mile. The walk up El Castillo is in addition to that. I booked the excursion and will post a review when I return on Dec. 11th. Good luck! Wish me luck!

We visited Xunantunich last Thursday, Nov 16 on a Carnival Valor excursion. A van took us from the ferry to the base area where there are restrooms and two small shops. Our guide, Gilbert, asked if anyone thought they might have problems walking the uphill portion to the ruins and the people who answered yes were shuttled up to the grassy area. I feel I’m in pretty good shape for my age and weight--mid fifties and fluffy--but I did get a bit winded on the uphill hike to the grassy area. I do not like heights so I initially declined climbing El Castillo, but after my DH stressed that was probably a once in a life time experience, I went for it. It wasn’t slippery or wet the day we were there, so my sneakers worked fine. I stayed close to the walls and with encouragement from DH and friends, made it to the top and down without a panic feeling. It was beautiful up top and well worth the climb.

Lunch was great and we especially enjoyed the fruit punch, which we spiked with some rum purchased in the gift shop.

AuntieBarb: I believe the picture you posted was the last staircase down from El Castillo. If I recall correctly, those are the only stairs that have a rail.

Countrycruzr: Wishing you good luck and I'm looking forward to your review.

Archived