Brazilian visa

GAJE

We need to apply for a Brazilian visa in a few weeks. Never having done this before, I have a question. We were thinking of applying directly to the Brazilian Embassy,as opposed to going through a visa service. Can anyone give advice on this? The Embassy is less expensive than the service and the turnaround time looks to be about the same. So...my question, should we have reservations about dealing directly with the Embassy?

Thanks, Betty

We got our visas through the consulate in Miami (check the Brazilian travel website - it will tell you which counsulate to use) When we took passorts with the proper forms (obtained from above website) to mail the clerk at our local post office advised us to send them registered mail return receipt. In addition you have to provide them with a return envelope with postage. Since we weren't sure if our passports would stay together during the process we sent two priority mail envelopes, one for each passport. Also the clerk gave us a tip to put a return address sticker on each passport in case somehow they got "lost" in the mail. Also Brazilian rules are that you must use your visa for the first time within I believe 90 days of its being issued so this isn't something you can do way ahead of time. (You must already have your travel plans in place as the form asks for flight numbers etc.)

Betty: when we went to South America 3 years ago, we used Zierer passport service to obtain our Brazilian visas. We don't live near an embassy either. Zierer had a lot of good reviews over on the South American sub-forum within the Ports of Call forum-I recommend that if you haven't checked out that sub-forum already, give it a shot--lots of good info. I felt that since Zierer does this service all the time they probably know what to do. I was very pleased with their service. I know that you have to enter Brazil within a specific period of time from the date the visa is issued and the visa is good for the life of your current passport. Hope this helps a bit.

I just got my visa. Since I live a 2 hours train ride from the consul on 6TH ave NYC I did not use a service. It required 2 trips. At least I was able to do some sightseeing.

Since you live in KY you must use the embassy in DC. You may be able to do this by mail.

http://www.brasilemb.org/consulado/consular1.shtml

It looks like applying directly to the Brazilian Embassy in Washington by mail sounds pretty safe. I did like Orlandocruisers tips about mailing the application and the separate envelopes for the return. Thanks for your help (all of you!).

Betty

. I know that you have to enter Brazil within a specific period of time from the date the visa is issued and the visa is good for the life of your current passport. Hope this helps a bit.

Bill, You've reminded me of our trip around S.A. & your following cruise on the "Amsterdam"...Oh how we would love to do it again, but this time go into Antartica as you did..

Agree, one must enter Brazil within 90 days of Visa issuance... However, the Brazilian Visa is good for 5 years & has nothing to do with the expiration of your current passport...

Our Brazilian Visa was issued in Oct. 2003 for our South American Cruise & is still good until Oct. 2008...

When our U.S. Passports expired in 2005 we got new passports..We went back to Brazil in April 2006 & all we had to do was attach our old Passports with the Visa in it, to our new Passports...

These were the instructions from the Miami Consulate for Brazil..Our new Passports were stamped by the Brazilian Authorities when we entered Brazil the second time..

To be on the safe side, we also attached the e-mail from the consulate in Miami & inserted a post-it note in the visa pages of our new passports which read "Visa for Brazil in attached expired Passport" ..

I agree go directly through the consulate if you have time, but some of the Brazilian Consulates require you to appear in person.. Also be sure you apply for a "Multiple Entry Visa" which is good for 5 years..You must advise the Consulate which type of Visa you are applying for..

Have a great trip..Betty

Not all visas will be issued for 5 years. Ours was issued for only 30 days. I've seen posts where the husband got 5 years and the wife got 30 days. Probably depends on the mood of the clerk typing them up that day......

My wife had a business trip to Chicago during the 90 day window and applied in person to the Embassey there. She took my passport and our two friends. I think there is an additional $10 fee if not presented by a family member, details can be found at their consular page. We were told to have a prepaid mailing package and we received our passports and Visa stamp in less than a week. So, if you have an embassey in your town, I would not hesitate to do it directly with the embassey.

jc

Not all visas will be issued for 5 years. Ours was issued for only 30 days. I've seen posts where the husband got 5 years and the wife got 30 days. Probably depends on the mood of the clerk typing them up that day......

Actually it has nothing to do with the clerks mood..You have to ask for a "Multiple Entry Visa" good for 5 years..If you don't then they are only good for one visit..Betty

You could be right, however, I have heard that multiple entry visas aren't just rubber stamped either.

I think it has something to do (along with the OBNOXIOUS $100 fee) with the U.S. treating their citizens coming to the U.S. like criminals, so they are retaliating with their own type of punishment, otherwise, our visas would cost the same as people from Mexico.

Archived