Cococay snorkeling

junobeach

I plan to bring snorkeling gear for the family to cococay. Where on the island is the best snorkeling? I want to be away from the crowds, and hopefully not be required to wear a life vest since I like to dive once in a while.

Also, one of my kids will wear a life vest, and the other one a float on the back. Does anyone know if the float is acceptable?

I plan to bring snorkeling gear for the family to cococay. Where on the island is the best snorkeling? I want to be away from the crowds, and hopefully not be required to wear a life vest since I like to dive once in a while.

Also, one of my kids will wear a life vest, and the other one a float on the back. Does anyone know if the float is acceptable?

Was there Oct 11 They have a major snorkel area with two plane wreaks out by the left side lifeguard It's a long swim but in that area there are a lot of fish. We also saw a stingray and some jelleyfish. By the lifeguard station to the right there is a sunken boat. You can walk down a ways and find a spot to snorkel but bring your water and food nothing out there.

As for vests while snorkeling you must have one on. We brought our own and was glad that we did Don't like to wait in long lines.

If there are jelleyfish there best get some Sea Safe sun tan lotion it will keep the jelleyfish from stinging you. They just do not like it. Can get it at most dive shops

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the jellyfish are always present or does it depend on the time of the year? I was stung in Aruba 2 years ago and would hate to repeat that experience. Of course I was told it only happened about 2 a year. Guess I was one of the unlucky ones.

One more question, can you snorkel on your own or do you have to pay for the excursion?

When we went there in 2002, Princess said snorkel vests were required and of course for rent. We had one ( our own ) but I never used it as I am an experienced diver and actually snorkel with a 6 lbs weight belt so I can free dive to take underwater photographs. I was prepared to wear it without air in it if necessary. My wife wore it for a little while but also went snorkeling without it. No one there seemed to be enforcing this rule.

For kids and poor swimmers a snorkeling vest is a good safety measure.

This is the only cruise ship beach island we have run into the snorkeling vest requirement.

I was wonder wear do you buy snorkel gear? Can I pick up a few things from some place like walmart? This is our first cruise.We also never snorkeled before. We want something that will work well, but is kinda cheap too.Also do you know if they have vest for bigger people? I will be traveling a larger family member (3-4xl). Thanks in advance! We are really looking foward to trying this on our cruise.:)

Yes Walmart or similar stores will have mask, snorkel and swim fins especially in Florida or southern states. May not have in colder climate places during winter.

The snorkeling vest is actually not a vest but what they call a horsecollar which goes over your head and a strap around your waist holds it in place.

This is a picture of a deluxe version. The Princess rental ones are much simpler.They should have one with longer straps for larger people.

Remember when snorkeling the secret is to always look forward or straight down and never look back towards your feet since by doing so you will dip or place the opening of the snorkel into the water allowing it to flood. Also your mask should seal on your face well. Cheak this out by placing it on your face without the strap around your head and breathing in through your nose. Try this if possible in the store before you buy it. The vacuum created by doing this alone should hold the mask in place on your face. If not try a larger, smaller or different shaped mask.The strap only holds it in position on your face. It is this vacuum that seal the mask. With my mask I need only to push it onto my face and by maintaining a slight vacuum it will stay in place without the strap. Don't overtighten the strap as this distorts the seal causing the mask to leak.

PICT0817a.jpg.a8c2e20c773bf67c9ec8309ca4f3cecc.jpg

Thank you very much robtulipe. I really appreciate your reply. I really don't know much about snorkeling. Thanks also for the picture and vest info . I expected it to be a life vest like for a boat.

ops. cococay is the wrong port for us. I am new here and got confused. We will be planing a Cruise on Carnival's boat Elation. So we leaving from Port Canaveral (Orlando), FL; going to Nassau, Bahamas; Half Moon Cay, Bahamas; Port Canaveral (Orlando), FL. So is there any snorkeling off the shore in either Nassau or cococay? We don't want to do an excursion where you go out to the the middle of the ocean, but we would like to float around near the shore.

Half Moon Cay is the beach stop for Carnival and Holland America and there is good spot to snorkel ( left side of beach near rocks that separate beach from tender channel). They also have Swim/Snorkel With Stingray program at extra cost.The good news is that Half Moon Cay does not (last year anyway ) have a snorkel vest requirement. Princess and Cococay are owned/operated by Carnival. Go figure!

Nassau also is a good place to snorkel with many different snorkel/boat tours being offered on the island. You could take regular taxi or water taxi to Paradise Is. and try at nice public beach over there. Note the water taxi only takes you to the docks on the channel side, near the Atlantis resort and it is a fairly long walk to the other, ocean side where the beach is. The regular or van taxi will drop off at the beach.

Go into the Atlantis Resort and from the public ( no cost ) area you can see most of their huge ( several hundreds feet long ) aquarium from the top side and half of it through a glass wall on the lower level.They even have a baby ( like 10 feet across ) Manta Ray called Zeus in this tank. By paying a visitor's fee you can go through a underwater acrylic see thru plastic tunnel under the water and see the fishes passing over you.It is like being in the ocean without having to Swim/Snorkel.

I also was there in Oct on the Enchantment. If you have your own equimpment you MUST have a snorkel vest. I bought one online just before going even thought I don't put air in them. I was buying it anyway just for an emergency but I don't put air in them as a rule of thumb. RCCL thinks they are going to be able to charge you to rent one and when they saw I had equipment the first thing they said was "you can't snorkel without a vest but we will rent you one". If you don't have one buy online and you will have it from now on and besides if you rent one you are already paying for a good part of one and you have your own, not one worn by X number of people.

As mentioned, swim out to the plane wreck and the ship wreck. There are a lot of fish out there especially near where the lifeguard sits and he feeds them. I also saw the Sting Ray along with lots of other fish. There were Jelly Fish near the shore but once you got out further I didn't see any.

Archived