Good News for QE2 Transatlantic Fans???

bobby1119

I just returned from a practice run to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal in preparation for my departure in January on the QE2. My cruise documents say "Brooklyn, NY" for both departure and arrival for the world cruise.

When I entered the terminal, which is easy to get to and well organized inside, I spoke with a cruise terminal official who, to my astonishment, said that today was the last sailing until April when Queen Mary 2 returns. He said that no ships are scheduled for Brooklyn until then.

Last month when QE2 stopped in New York during her Autumn Colors cruise, I was informed by a Cunard representative in the marine operations division in California that QE2 would definitely be arriving in Brooklyn. We all know how surprised and delighted we were to see her at her usual westside pier.

So maybe the Transatlantic fans in January and April will get their wish of a New York City arrival and departure.

Given the way Princess Cunard operates, we'll probably end up in Bayonne anyway!

I just returned from a practice run to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal in preparation for my departure in January on the QE2. My cruise documents say "Brooklyn, NY" for both departure and arrival for the world cruise.

When I entered the terminal, which is easy to get to and well organized inside, I spoke with a cruise terminal official who, to my astonishment, said that today was the last sailing until April when Queen Mary 2 returns. He said that no ships are scheduled for Brooklyn until then.

Last month when QE2 stopped in New York during her Autumn Colors cruise, I was informed by a Cunard representative in the marine operations division in California that QE2 would definitely be arriving in Brooklyn. We all know how surprised and delighted we were to see her at her usual westside pier.

So maybe the Transatlantic fans in January and April will get their wish of a New York City arrival and departure.

Given the way Princess Cunard operates, we'll probably end up in Bayonne anyway!

Bobby:

It's risky getting one's hopes too high, but I think that your information gives us good reason to think that the January and April visits will find QE2 at NYPST !!

Good investigative work there, "Rockford" (or "Magnum") !!!

Tom

Bobby:

It's risky getting one's hopes too high, but I think that your information gives us good reason to think that the January and April visits will find QE2 at NYPST !!

Good investigative work there, "Rockford" (or "Magnum") !!!

Tom

Thanks, Tom. I'll keep the case open. We'll know on January 8. The conflicting information is truly inconsiderate of passengers who are making arrangements to be dropped off. I did the run to Red Hook with a friend who is not familiar with NYC roads as a rehearsal. Now I have to do another rehearsal to the westside piers. Incidentally, Brooklyn is much more convenient in terms of drop off and parking. The terminal is very handsome inside, too.

Bobby:

In terms of the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, I agree, it is nice and clean and all-in-all quite good. I had my one and only taste of it in September when my wife and I sailed on QM2 (for the first time) on the Labor Day cruise to Halifax.

I keep hearing rumors to the effect that one (or all three ???) of the West Side piers/NYPST will be renovated and lengthened. Furthermore, the rumor goes that upon completion QM2 will return to the West Side. Hmmmm.....

For our purposes, I will be watching closely on January 8, and hoping that you'll be making your way to Manhattan and not to Red Hook !!

Tom

Bobby:

In terms of the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, I agree, it is nice and clean and all-in-all quite good. I had my one and only taste of it in September when my wife and I sailed on QM2 (for the first time) on the Labor Day cruise to Halifax.

I keep hearing rumors to the effect that one (or all three ???) of the West Side piers/NYPST will be renovated and lengthened. Furthermore, the rumor goes that upon completion QM2 will return to the West Side. Hmmmm.....

For our purposes, I will be watching closely on January 8, and hoping that you'll be making your way to Manhattan and not to Red Hook !!

Tom

I did hear that rumor once, too. I wish that Manhattan just had the space that Red Hook has. No traffic. I breezed right in. Manhattan is pure chaos on a sailing day. I even had my dog with me and took him for a walk alongside the Queen Mary 2 as close as I could get. He gave the ship a cursory glance and was more interested in christening the bollards! I put a call in to Cunard today to see if I could get an answer. They promised a call-back, but nothing. I'm on the case.

Bobby

Well, that's what they're saying at:

http://www.nycruiseterminal.com/devel.html

I don't know when that was written, but it's interesting...

Well, that's what they're saying at: http://www.nycruiseterminal.com/devel.htmlI don't know when that was written, but it's interesting...

Yes indeed:

At the request of Carnival Corporation, an application will be made to extend the terminal's mooring capacity further into the Hudson River so that a 1,200-foot-long berth, large enough to accommodate the Queen Mary 2 and other ships that extend over 1,000 feet, can be built

Whether they get agreement to that is of course another matter! Interestingly last time they extended the piers - in the 1930s for the Normandie and Queen Mary, they extended into Manhattan, rather than the Hudson.....

Peter

I got a call today from Cunard dispatch who had directly contacted the ship and can confirm that the January and April sailings will be from Brooklyn.

My TA is going to confirm this with the Cunard rep in New York who oversees the Brooklyn marine operation.

...but then again, QE2 does have a mind of her own...;)

I just returned from a practice run to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal in preparation for my departure in January on the QE2...I spoke with a cruise terminal official who, to my astonishment, said that today was the last sailing until April when Queen Mary 2 returns. He said that no ships are scheduled for Brooklyn until then.

Thanks, Bobby, for your helpful recon and findings.

It is still possible that the "word" (about which port for the QE2 in January) has not filtered down to the Cunard/Princess CSR's and ships at sea.

Would anyone have a link to the Brooklyn port authority that might confirm whether the Brooklyn cruise terminal has, in fact, seen its last sailing until April? (For if such information could be confirmed, it would overrule all other information to the contrary).

Unfortunately there will always be 10% of the people who won't get the "word"--whatever it is.

Chris

Thanks, Bobby, for your helpful recon and findings.

It is still possible that the "word" (about which port for the QE2 in January) has not filtered down to the Cunard/Princess CSR's and ships at sea.

Would anyone have a link to the Brooklyn port authority that might confirm whether the Brooklyn cruise terminal has, in fact, seen its last sailing until April? (For if such information could be confirmed, it would overrule all other information to the contrary).

Unfortunately there will always be 10% of the people who won't get the "word"--whatever it is.

Chris

Well, folks, I have it on good authority <G> that they won't be able to book her into Manhattan soon. Seems someone lugged this big ol' dead aircraft carrier out into the middle of the channel. even what with dredging the river and the use of SIX tugs, (and floating countless mafia "trophies", no doubt, in the process, which had to be quickly ensconced in a landfill which was coincidently being capped- Hmmm, landfills, aren't those usually owned and run by underworld "families? <G>) Well, anyway, seems this old "battle-ax" is stuck out in the middle of the harbor. <G> So I guess it is back to Brooklyn after the World Cruises!

Karie,

who is speaking strictly tongue-in-cheek, and means absoltuely none of this. Nor does she have any inside information whatsoever, other than that which is inside her feeble brain!

P.S. Nor does she intend inany disrepsect towards the imighty intrepid, which served ably and courageously.

http://www.courant.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-uss-intrepid,0,3450978.story

http://www.courant.com/news/nationworld/hc-eintrepid1108.artnov08,0,492375.story

Yes indeed:

At the request of Carnival Corporation, an application will be made to extend the terminal's mooring capacity further into the Hudson River so that a 1,200-foot-long berth, large enough to accommodate the Queen Mary 2 and other ships that extend over 1,000 feet, can be built

Whether they get agreement to that is of course another matter! Interestingly last time they extended the piers - in the 1930s for the Normandie and Queen Mary, they extended into Manhattan, rather than the Hudson.....

Peter

Peter & Kyle:

I know that the whole topic of Manhattan vs Brooklyn has been talked to death on these Boards, so suffice to say that I personally hope this all comes about. Having just sailed from Red Hook aboard QM2 in September, I can say that something was indeed missing - that wonderful slow departure along Manhattan's west side.

I got a call today from Cunard dispatch who had directly contacted the ship and can confirm that the January and April sailings will be from Brooklyn.

My TA is going to confirm this with the Cunard rep in New York who oversees the Brooklyn marine operation.

...but then again, QE2 does have a mind of her own...;)

Bobby:

Well you are certainly getting to the bottom of this.

Bravo !!

The following article does not directly address the question - but does raise one as it says:

The Queen Mary 2 has set sail from Red Hook for the last time this season — and already Brooklyn longshoremen are calling for the one-summer-old terminal to operate year-round. “We hope that next year the boats will keep coming through the winter, ” said Lou Pernice, vice president of the International Longshoremen Association.

So it does raise a question of whether the QE2 will call in the winter. See here:

http://www.brooklynpapers.com/html/issues/_vol29/29_44/29_44nets6.html

Also an amusing anecdote about Engineers from the Crown Princess...

So it does raise a question of whether the QE2 will call in the winter. See here:

One wonders now if anybody, anywhere, knows for sure.

I phoned the NYPST directly, and was told that their calender shows the QE2 going to Brooklyn in January.

Now, just what did this article's author mean when he described the QM2 as "Colgate-white"?

The following article does not directly address the question - but does raise one as it says:

The Queen Mary 2 has set sail from Red Hook for the last time this season — and already Brooklyn longshoremen are calling for the one-summer-old terminal to operate year-round. “We hope that next year the boats will keep coming through the winter, ” said Lou Pernice, vice president of the International Longshoremen Association.

Also an amusing anecdote about Engineers from the Crown Princess...

Interesting article, Peter. I forwarded it to my TA who previously worked for Cunard for nearly 20 years and still has maintained connections with the remaining "old guard," both on land and on the 2 ships. Her contact in the marine operations division at Cunard/Princess said that at present QE2 is scheduled for Brooklyn, but that there is considerable discussion about baggage and storage issues at Brooklyn which may result in a change of port. She said that a meeting is going to take place soon at which time management will decide Manhattan or Brooklyn. I'll keep anyone interested in this topic up to date.

Her contact in the marine operations division at Cunard/Princess said that at present QE2 is scheduled for Brooklyn, but that there is considerable discussion about baggage and storage issues at Brooklyn which may result in a change of port. quote]

Curious about what baggage and storage issues would apply to the QE2 but not the twice as large QM2. :confused:

It seems that indeed nobody knows just yet where QE2 will berth, but Cunard is informing passengers that it will be Brooklyn.

If this changes, will Cunard make it known to those booked to disembark, and embark, in Brooklyn, to allow appropriate ground transportation arrangements other than Cunard transfers? (Cunard, being notoriously poor in the communication dept.)

No doubt those joining the ship in NYC will appreciate knowing where the ship will waiting for them. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Bobby, for staying on top of it, and we'll probably hear of any changes from you before we hear from Cunard.

I'll keep anyone interested in this topic up to date.

Well, the entire Winter Crossing Club for sure! I can understand the dilemma - if the Manhattan piers are in use year round, but Brooklyn shuts down after November 5 why open it up again for one ship? Before the QE2 arrives in NY, the NYPST schedule (which only goes up to December) shows 8 sailings from Manhattan, the last on December 28 - but HAL has the Noordam back in Manhattan on the 6th of January, two days before the QE2 and the Norwegian Dawn on January 7th, the day before. If the Manhattan piers are in constant use, does seem a bit pointless treking over to Brooklyn.....

Peter

I can understand the dilemma - if the Manhattan piers are in use year round, but Brooklyn shuts down after November 5 why open it up again for one ship? If the Manhattan piers are in constant use, does seem a bit pointless treking over to Brooklyn.....

Peter

Makes perfect sense to me...;)

Curious about what baggage and storage issues would apply to the QE2 but not the twice as large QM2. :confused:

I asked her, too, and she replied that prior to a world cruise alot of stores are delivered to the pier, as well as luggage. Evidently quite a bit of luggage is sent ahead of passengers arriving in NY by plane, and needs to be secured. She went on to say that the configuration of the pier in Brooklyn is not compatible with the luggage and stores issue. I am not sure what this means. The worst case scenario, in my opinion, would be a departure from Manhattan and a return to Brooklyn. As usual, Cunard is true to its policy of misinformation! I am going to place my bets on Manhattan. I guess on January 8 I will have to click on the bridge webcam. If I see the West Side Highway, I will go to Pier 90. If I see a parking lot and wharf, I'll head to Brooklyn. :rolleyes:

the configuration of the pier in Brooklyn is not compatible with the luggage and stores issue. I am not sure what this means.

Thanks for keeping us posted......not compatible....let me guess, big, empty terminal in Red Hook with no one there and lots of valuable luggage and stores.....how many guesses do we need.......

Peter

Book your hotel at La Guardia, that way it will cost you $40 whether you go to Pier 90 or Red Hook! Added to the fact the cab fare is the same, you will save over $100 a night rather than staying right in the city. (and you are still within city "limits", so no surcharges on the cabs)

As for sending your luggage, if you used Cunards luggage service, you would hope they would send it to the right terminal. However, I have no idea how much that service costs.

• 1 month later...

I'm doing the QE2 Westbound crossing on Jan 2nd. I plan to leave my car at Red Hook at $18/day and have it ready when we arrive back in NYC.

After dropping off my auto, I need to get to JFK. I note that an NCL ship will depart about an hour and a half before I arrive to park; otherwise there will be no ships docked.

Does anybody have any experience in finding a cab at Red Hook when there is no ship docked? Has anyone used the long term parking lot?

Archived