Suggestions for couple with toddler in Jamaica?

Chelsea_mom

I am trying to figure out what to do when we are in Ocho Rios in December. This is our first big trip with our toddler, and I have been a little put off by the concerns some people have about Jamaica. My husband and I never do the organized tour thing, but I really don't know about going off on our own in Jamaica with a 2 year old...

I also don't want to do a full day tour, because I know that my daughter will need to get a nap by 1PM, or else she will end up having a melt down later in the day. However, a morning excursion that would allow us to see a bit of Jamaica would be nice.

Thanks!

Corie

Hi. My family, DH and 3 DD's(3,4,10) were on NCL Dawn last December and stopped in Ocho Rios. We did the Dunn's waterfall/dolphin encounter through our ship. My DH and oldest daughter walked the falls while I played at the little beach area at the bottom with our other kids. I thought the beach was just ok, and too long of a walk for our youngest. Our other daughter was terrified of the dogs(which were kind of scary) that roamed on the beach. We ALL loved the dolphin encounter and would recommend it to anyone. They also have a little beach area by the dolphins, which was much nicer, and no dogs. We actually enjoyed the people and felt safe with our kids. In my opinion, a two year old is to little for the falls, but would love the dolphins. Our kids still talk about it and the man who sold them their shirts.(The shirts are worn out completely but they will not part with them, kids are too funny)Have a great trip. Janice

Thanks for the suggestions! I was getting discouraged because on another board, all I kept on hearing was, "Don't leave the ship with your 2 year old in Jamaica!" I really think that if it was actually that dangerous, the cruise lines wouldn't keep on going to Ocho Rios. Now, I can believe that we could get hasseled if we don't do things intelligently- and I would rather avoid being hasseled with Grace along.

Have you heard anything about Enchanted Gardens? I love plants and Grace loves birds, so I was all set to go there, but now it seems that it might be at a resort. :( I am not so sure about that...

Thanks, again.

I am in the same situation as you. I am still debating what to do. We are going to Mo Bay, Jamaica with our will be 3 year old and our 6 year old in April.

I keep reading so many negatives about Jamaica that I am about ready to stay onboard and leave the kids to play in the kids club while I catch up on some much needed rest at the pool.

I figure that I usually have to wrestle my kids out of the kids club. And there is so much to do on the ship (Freedom of the Seas) so why bother fighting with them if there is nothing worth doing with them on land?

I would love to hear more stories from parents of young children who visited Jamaica.

I really have not heard of Enchanted Gardens, so I can't help you with that, sorry. I bet she would love the dolphin encounter, my youngest 2 just set with their legs in the water and would hit the water and the dolphins would come up to them. There was never any pressure to actually get in the water with them. I don't believe I would go on the island alone, but felt very safe with a group, and with my DH. We were approached by a few people, but a simple no was all it took for them to leave. (We had this on every island, not just here)Have a great time. Janice

I am in the same situation as you. I am still debating what to do. We are going to Mo Bay, Jamaica with our will be 3 year old and our 6 year old in April.

I keep reading so many negatives about Jamaica that I am about ready to stay onboard and leave the kids to play in the kids club while I catch up on some much needed rest at the pool.

I figure that I usually have to wrestle my kids out of the kids club. And there is so much to do on the ship (Freedom of the Seas) so why bother fighting with them if there is nothing worth doing with them on land?

I would love to hear more stories from parents of young children who visited Jamaica.

I am now leaning towards the dolphin encounter. Grace loves animals, so I bet that she would be quite happy there. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Cruisinmama, I will post again about what the experience was like, after we go on the cruise. It is a confusing issue, isn't it?

I was going to send my DH and oldest daughter to the falls and stay on the ship with the youngest 2, so glad I didn't. We had so much fun, and was surprised at how nice everyone was. Are they pushy? A little, but we found that everywhere we went. You just have to say no and keep going. I really did not feel unsafe at all and enjoyed the beautiful scenery. Our girls loved the music playing everywhere, and we really did have a wonderful time. I say, give it a try. Janice

We went with our 2 yearold to Jimmy Buffets Margeritaville.It's within walking distance of the ship so you can bring a stroller.It has a nice little beach,a beautiful FRESH water pool with a waterslide that comes down over the bar,Great food,great staff.lots of giveaways,singing ,dancing.our daughter had a great time between the beach,pool and when she was ready we put her in the stroller for a nap.If you don't want to walk and be bothered take a cab at the peir,i think it was $2 person and it's a 5 min cab ride.Walking 10-15 minutes.You can grab a table on the deck for the day and even get some great pictures of the ship.margeritaville's web site even has free margerita and soda coupons on it if you can find the lost salt shaker.Good luck

I am now leaning towards the dolphin encounter. Grace loves animals, so I bet that she would be quite happy there. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Cruisinmama, I will post again about what the experience was like, after we go on the cruise. It is a confusing issue, isn't it?

Yes that sounds like a GREAT idea. For us though, there is no dolphin encounter at Mo Bay (I think it's on our stop at Grand Caymen and Cozumel)

I hope you have a wonderful time. And YES, I want to hear all about it when you get back. Enjoy!

You should hire Carolyn Barrett, she is a great guide! (Barrett Adventure tours, I think). Jamaica was the highlight of our cruise. She was very economical, met us at the cruise terminal, took us all over the island, to very unique and local destinations. We never felt unsafe at all. Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Janice, do you know what is included with the general admission to Dolphin Cove? The web site is pretty vague about it. What I am trying to figure out is whether you have to buy the touch encounted to see the dolphins at all, or whether there is some sort of show that is included in the general admission. Thanks!

CJW, we have decided to book with Barrett Adventures for the day. They will take my parents off to do some birding or just drive around while we do dolphin cove with Grace. Then, we will pretty much play it by ear- see what interests us and what Grace will put up with. There is an advantage to having a personal guide- if the toddler poops out, they will just take some of us back to the shipp while the others continue touring.

Corie

We paid one price and were able to touch the dolphins. I'm not sure about the show, as we spent a lot of time at the little beach area. They had a band playing and our girls danced a ton. We were there pretty early and saw just a few people, you do have to walk down steps, but not to many. Have a great trip. Janice

Archived