Mexican Riviera Safety

Az_Redneck

DW and I are thinking of going on the Mexican Riviera CCL cruise next year with family. With all the political problems in Mexico right now, is it safe down there for Americans? Anyone been on this cruise lately that can shed some light on this subject?

Thanks in advance

DW and I are thinking of going on the Mexican Riviera CCL cruise next year with family. With all the political problems in Mexico right now, is it safe down there for Americans? Anyone been on this cruise lately that can shed some light on this subject?

Thanks in advance

I think the majority of the political problems have been more towards Mexico City haven't they? There have been incidences in Acapulco, but not involving tourists - it was drug war related. I think Mexico for the most part caters to the tourist trade and tourists are pretty much left alone. Of course, you should always take your common sense with you when you go on vacation - that goes without saying - but I wouldn't worry too much! You may be safer there than here at home!

We are cruising to Acapulco in March! :D

No worries.

The main thing going on in Mexico are in the city of Oaxaca, where there are political protests going on against the governor. Also in the border towns like Tijuana there has been drug-related violence. Mexico is a big country, and like all countries (including the USA), there are seedy areas where drug violence is a fact of life. However, even though Miami and Los Angeles are two of the most crime ridden cities in America, millions of people visit there each year as tourists without incident. Unlike those cities, though, the drug violence you're hearing about in Mexico isn't even in the same cities as the tourists - you will have nothing to worry about.

You won't see anything at all going on in the cruise towns except fun fun fun! Relax and have a blast!

Thanks in advance

We just got back from an 11 day on Mercury. At no time did I feel unsafe or vulnerable. Acapulco was by far the busiest and most crowded, we were there on Sunday, which is a big day for public family gatherings, plus there was an airshow going on that day. We were on a tour with a local, Rosie, (the best tour guide we have ever had) we went to all parts of town, including her parents house. We were downtown shopping until after 8:00pm and had no issues. They really depend on the tourists for the living.

Go, have a good time and don't worry. If you are like us, once you get on the ship, all of your worries will be forgotten.

Happy cruising.

While much of the publicity about crime in Mexico mentions Acapulco - for most tourists Acapulco is safe. Though, some tourists have been harmed, robbed, etc. Most of the crimes are related to drug cartel activity and corrupt officials and bad policemen. One tourist was murdered last year though, and there were a series of robberies of cruise ship passengers just outside the terminal. A couple of policemen were gunned-down in front of (across the street from) a major hotel in broad daylight. Remain aware of your surroundings and people who are around you so that you can react to situations or change your locations if you're uncomfortable.

Zihuatanejo's been rocked by lots of violence, too - and some of that has affected tourists. There, like Acapulco - just keep aware of current events when in port and stick to touristy areas.

One of the biggest problems in Mexico is the lack of an effective law enforcement network - and an insatiable appetite in the US for illicit narcotics (which provides the money to the violent cartels).

The tourist - a Mexican - was murdered while driving his vehicle along Costera Miguel Aleman across from the Gran Plaza shopping center near Playa Papagayo. This happened during "Semana Santa" in April, 2006. The incident took place between 10 p.m. and Midnight, if I'm remembering correctly. I was in ACA for 10 days on vacation during this period.

The tourist - a Mexican - was murdered while driving his vehicle along Costera Miguel Aleman across from the Gran Plaza shopping center near Playa Papagayo. This happened during "Semana Santa" in April, 2006. The incident took place between 10 p.m. and Midnight, if I'm remembering correctly. I was in ACA for 10 days on vacation during this period.

Oh, yes, the young supposed college kid.............I think there was more behind the scenes there ;) I don't think he was in Acapulco so "innocently" ;)

Just make sure to keep things in perspective - in 1991, there were 36,512 crimes against tourists in Florida, which is 1/14th the size of Mexico, and 1/7th the population.

With 25 million tourists to Mexico each year, how many crimes against them have you heard about?

Relax, have fun, and enjoy your vacation! :)

Just make sure to keep things in perspective - in 1991, there were 36,512 crimes against tourists in Florida, which is 1/14th the size of Mexico, and 1/7th the population.

With 25 million tourists to Mexico each year, how many crimes against them have you heard about?

Relax, have fun, and enjoy your vacation! :)

Exactly! :)

I did hear of one Canadian tourist on a Princess ship, was killed crossing the street very near the pier, please be aware that drivers in foreign countries DO NOT always give the same pedestrian right of way that you may be used to in the U.S.

Archived