Old Lady who lives on Sea princess

Shogun

AliceS -

As the creator of "sorry kids I'm spending your inheritance" work, I hereby give you permission to copy & print, to notify family members, that you are retiring to a life on a cruise ship in which you are only unpacking once.

Don't forget to mention that your investment in your retirement plan will be well spent.

:)

My wife thinks she perhaps had a "lift" also.
I agree. She almost looked to me like she'd had a lift "gone bad." She really didn't look the same as she had just over a year before. I don't meant to be catty but she didn't look at all the same.

Guest Anorak33

We were on Sea Princess Eastbound Transatlantic to Southampton this spring and would never have thought Lorraine was 80 or so. She semed a very nice lady in her late 50's, much more pleasant than Bea Muller on QE2 was to us when we had to share a table on a world cruise. Maybe I need new glasses.

Not really relevant but we just had few weeks on the Fred Olsen Braemar and a gentleman lives nearly all the time on there, his name is Alan and he is a very nice guy. Although somewhat disabled in a serious auto collision a few years ago he takes an active part in events including scrutinizing the Dolphin Racing everyday.

He is noted for his exceptionally bad taste shirts and neckties and for wearing a crew badge with senior cruiser or some such title on it.

Maybe there are more of these folk around than we thought...............

Hi Folks,

The reason I started all this was I am thinking of going back on the Sea in a few months time, while onboard the last time she made a brief visit to the stage to get her prize bottle, does she get one bottle every week.

yours Shogun

Lorraine would before decline to receive the Most Travelled Pax Award and only in the past year I heard that she now accepts it again. On the Old Royal Princess tehy would create a seperate special award for her and then the Most Travelled Award for anotehr regular pax.

Javier and I can't to see her again on the New Royal Princess when we sail on her next year.

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

Oh yes just got off the October 18th cruise on the Sea Princess from New York to Quebec and Mrs. Artzst was there. My wife and I along with our neighbors had an opportunity to meet her onshore in Halifax, Nova Scotia. A very charming and friendly woman. It appeared to us that no matter where she goes on ship and off there is always someone from the ship's staff by her side.

Yes, Lorraine has always had "her groupies" aroudn her which is teh ships staff. She would throw some of the best parties in her Old Suite on the Royal Princess....some of the best parties Javier and I ahve ever attended onboard a ship.

Tony

I agree. She almost looked to me like she'd had a lift "gone bad." She really didn't look the same as she had just over a year before. I don't meant to be catty but she didn't look at all the same.

Yes she's had "work" done to her. But also she has never recovered fully from that knee operation fully in feb of 2005 when Javier and I were on the Old Royal for 2 months with her in South America. The doctors had told her not to fly back to Los Angeles and rejoing the ship but rather stay home and recover...she did the opposite and flew back to South America after two weeks after the surgery and rejoined the ship in Buenos Aires.

Tony

Hi There,

Understand that Princess still gives out a bottle or two to other folk on the ship, as she is special, its just that if you do not know the story, and you are all sitting in the room shouting out your sea days 200, 300 400 etc you think thats a lot of cruises then a little voice shouts out 3000 folks mouths drop open.

Lets hope she will have many thousands of sea days left on board her new ship.

yours Shogun

The Cruise industry is/has taken a look at the possibility of allocating a number of cabins to long term live aboards but does not want to make a commitment to this policy as it could upset the demographics on the ships. One of our weekly Canadian news programs featured this concept last winter. Interesting idea. It would cost me between $36,000 and $50,000 to live in a Home here VS a lot less than $1,000 per week to live on board. Hard choice to make. I've sold my house. My bags are packed, I'm on my way, I'll be living on a cruise ship starting today. LOL:cool:

Hi Folks,

Do you recall thr floating city idea that was on the news about year or so ago , a ship that would have ten thousand people on it, with heli pad etc so that the rich could fly of to their all important meetings, it would cruise the world being at the right places for important events, good weather etc.

yours Shogun

We were on the Sea last November and were able to meet her. I tried to persuade her to change places with me, but of course, she laughed. We just returned from the Sun and she was not on that ship, so I guess she's still aboard the Sea. I agree, she is not old. I would guess she was in her 40s, but I might be wrong. At any rate, I would love to trade places. We've booked the Emerald for next year, I wonder if she'll try out one of the larger ships? BTW, the food on the Sun has greatly improved since the last time we sailed her. Best wishes!

Hi Folks,

Do you recall thr floating city idea that was on the news about year or so ago , a ship that would have ten thousand people on it, with heli pad etc so that the rich could fly of to their all important meetings, it would cruise the world being at the right places for important events, good weather etc.

yours Shogun

Yes, it was on Discovery Channel very interesting.

• 3 weeks later...
Would be interested in knowing how she/others get around the Jones Act?????? anyone????
Good question but my guess is that she has a non-passenger status on the ship. I don't know how they handle crew/staff who are U.S. citizens but I suspect it would be similar. Plus, the Royal Princess (that she sailed on for years) had mostly international itineraries and the Sea Princess cruises at least part of the year in Europe.

Don't forget, she only has to visit one "distant" foreign port and she can get off at any U.S. port she wants. Distant would be defined as anywhere outside of North America (Caribbean and Central America are considered part of North America).

I believe crew are subject to the same regulations as passengers.

Yesterday Lorraine went onboard the SEA Princess again.

She will be staying onboard the Sea Princess until she joins the new Royal Princess on April 19th in Barcelona.

Tony

How exactly does she live on the Sea Princess? Does she pay the fare for each cruise the ship goes on? What does she do when the ship dry or wet docks?

She goes home to Los Angeles where she still maintains a home.

Yes can you believe that the "Puzzle Palace" only gives her at last count March of 2005 when I was onboard the "Old Old Old Royal" in South America only brochure rates less a 15% discount....appalling but totally consistent when this company makes big mistakes with there most loyal paxs!

Tony

Just found this thread...what a nice discussion.

My husband and I had the pleasure of meeting Lorraine and Joe in 1998 on the Valparisio-Manaus itinerary. Lorraine fell into me one night as the ship was really rolling. I had no idea who she was. I broke her fall and and a large terra cottal pot broke mine! We tumbled to the floor together. I ended up with a sprained ankle. We laughed it off and was glad she was all right. The next day, we received an invitation to their cabin and were treated like royalty. This was our very first Princess cruise and were quite "green". They took a liking to us and about 3 times, a bottle champagne and caviar would show up at our table. Thanks for bringing up one of our best memories.....28 Princess cruises later...it all started there!! :)

Archived